Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at Lance Lite 835 to buy

dm810910410
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
First time poster looking at a 2000 Lance Lite 835 to purchase. I have some concerns as the front two jacks seem to be loose and tilting out a bit. Also on both sides of the TC Iโ€™m seeing the same small indent right where the cabover starts. The seller has stated that the camper has been sitting for two years indoors with all weight on the jacks and dually swings in front position. Iโ€™ve checked for water damage inside and didnโ€™t see or smell anything. Should I be avoiding this TC and continuing my search? Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated as Iโ€™m not looking to rebuild or tear a TC apart to fix rot.

host gif online
'>
13 REPLIES 13

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Lance 815 (almost same camper). The two dimples wouldn't concern me in the least if the inside paneling looks good. I've had one from the day I purchased my camper which was 12 years and over 100k miles ago. Hasn't changed one bit.

Now the jacks are a bit more of a concern. The caulking shows where the jack was originally and the black putty shows how much movement it has had over time. Sitting the camper like that for extended periods without something under neath isn't very good but shouldn't cause problems. I tried looking at the pictures to see what the metal in the front looked to see if it was still straight. This would help determine if the wood was pulling apart or just the screws coming loose. If the metal is still straight, odds are the wood is fine with the screws coming loose. This can be confirmed by trying to tighten the screws and see how much torque they can take. Don't try to pull the jack back in as even if the wood is perfect odds are they won't without removing the jacks and resealing.

In regards to the shavings, Lance leaves a lot of debris in the camper during construction. They completely build it then go in with a shop vac to remove what they quickly can so not worried about comparments and such that much. Doesn't surprise me you saw shavings, probably from cutting a whoe to run wires or plumbing. I'm still finding some in my camper.

Other place to check is just inside the door for soft spot or rot. IF there is any 1/4 round inside the door, that means work was done on the floor. Could just be a linoleum replacement but more than likely the plywood. Lance didn't use any 1/4 round so keep that in mind.

Also check inside the propane compartment as they sometimes leak. When this area gets wet, the tie down point tends to sag. Same under the water heater though that side is less prone to leak. In the pics, this area looks good as a little bit of sag is common.

$6,500 isn't a bad price if the inside is in good shape and there isn't any wood rot. My 815 is worth about $7,000 in todays market. I want to upgrade but the prices are ridiculous right now so I'm waiting a year or two.

Good luck with the hunt.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would also say that $6,500 is plenty of money for 21 year old camper with some "issues".

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
joerg68 wrote:
It is possible (imo likely) the cabover structure and / or the front corners are compromised from wood rot as a result of water intrusion.
The indents could then be the result of too much flex on a rough road.
The "wood shavings" are not a good sign.
The crooked front legs are also indicative of a possible rot issue in the front corners.
This would not at all be unlikely for a 20 year old camper of unknown history.
It looks like a project to me. There are "harmless" possible explanations, but in my experience they are not likely.
There is a sticky thread at the top of this section titled "Truck Camper University". It has a section on rot repair. A lot of pictures have been lost, but many are still there. Have a look.
Good luck!

I agree!

dm810910410
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the feedback and I will continue my search.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is possible (imo likely) the cabover structure and / or the front corners are compromised from wood rot as a result of water intrusion.
The indents could then be the result of too much flex on a rough road.
The "wood shavings" are not a good sign.
The crooked front legs are also indicative of a possible rot issue in the front corners.
This would not at all be unlikely for a 20 year old camper of unknown history.
It looks like a project to me. There are "harmless" possible explanations, but in my experience they are not likely.
There is a sticky thread at the top of this section titled "Truck Camper University". It has a section on rot repair. A lot of pictures have been lost, but many are still there. Have a look.
Good luck!
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty-one year old camper with issues a newbie spots...get a pro inspection IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dm810910410
Explorer
Explorer
I looked inside the electrical cable door with a flashlight and did see what looked to be wood debris in the bottom corner (almost like shavings/ splinters closest to jack). I thought this may have just been from trees if the door was left open at some point. Now I'm starting to think otherwise. Camper is listed at $6500 obo

Do the jacks look like the main problem or would you be concerned with the dents on both sides (at cab over arch) as well?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Camper has easy access to front corner via electrical cable door.
Not only you can put your hand there and feel how solid is the wood, but modern phone camera can take a picture inside as well.
This does look like a project.

dm810910410
Explorer
Explorer

Drivers side jack

dm810910410
Explorer
Explorer

passenger side

Passenger side jack

dm810910410
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can use this site to post pictures. Just follow the instructions.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post some pictures?
Tilting jacks usually are indication of their mounts getting dryrot, but could also bend from wrong use.
Buying used TC comes with high risk to buy big project, so don't doo it without proper inspection.
Just few days ago new member posted topic, where he had his TC inspected by local dealer, while later he found damages exceeding camper value.