cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice

Crown
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow campers I have a question that I am hoping some can help me with and share there knowledge and experience in. I have a travel trailer its a 2018 Puma 43 feet in length and weighs about 8231 dry weight. The truck is very well capable of pulling the camper for I bought it new and custom ordered it just to give you a little in site of the truck its a Ford F150 XLT 4x4 supercrew long bed 6 1/2 foot bed. The engine is the 6.2 liter with 3:73 gears it is rated to pull up to 12000 lbs. I also have the EZ2 sway bar hitch and have adjusted it to the recommended settings. Know to the question I feel it still needs something more like an air bag suspension setup or overload springs. Which would you do air bags or overload springs or both? And which brand of air bags would you recommend pro and cons? Thanks for any advice and if you have any questions or different recommendations feel free to ask
Crown
35 REPLIES 35

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
advantage to timbrens..no need to adjust anything and will help reduce some sag.

advantage to Air bags, you can adjust these t actually level the truck, but require a compressor or on board air.

Good luck, that still a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton truck, been there done that.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
OP is not asking if the truck is overweight, or if the truck will pull the trailer.

OP is not even asking if airbags will increase the weight rating.

"Will airbags reduce sag?"

Yes. Timbrens will also reduce sag.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Crown
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking from experience, we originally pulled a 32' bumper pull toyhauler with similar weight specs to your trailer with an F-150. The truck itself "pulled" the trailer fine in terms of power, getting up to speed, trans temp etc. But even after adding airbags and better tires, it still wasn't that great to haul, especially if the wind picked up... got downright scary in some situations, so even though the truck was only a year old, we upgraded to a 250 and it was like night and day (and I don't need to tell anybody how great it was when we upgraded to a dually in preparation for trading in the bumper pull for a 5th wheel).

But that being said, in your part of the country you might be just fine with your setup once you add air bags. But here on rv.net, you aren't going to find a lot of people that will say "your set up is awesome!", cause it really isn't.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Crown wrote:
Thanks for every ones advice and the TT is a 2018 puma 31FKRK and I measured it and its 37 feet not 43 feet. The truck is a 2014 Ford F150 XLT with the 6.2 engine with 3:73 gears I ordered the truck this way. The truck pulls it fine and handles it fine. I am asking about air bags to help with the sagging of the truck and yes I have a weight distribution hitch and yes it is set to the correct settings according to the instructions from manufacture. Also the dry weight on the side of the TT is 8121

You’re golden with that setup. Add some bags or helpers and let er rip tater chip!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I have no doubt that the truck pulls the trailer just fine.

I'd also be willing to bet that there is a 10-20% cushion over the manufactures suggested GVW and CGVW ratings. I don't think the truck all of a sudden becomes dangerous or overloaded as soon as you exceed the ratings.

These numbers are also for sea level and not at 8000 ft.

For me the main concern would be stopping, not going and bigger trucks have bigger brakes.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have said, this is just not a good match. There is only so much you can do with a F150, nothing against the truck but that's why they make F250's an up.

I dont think you ever mentioned how far you are planning to tow it? If its just to the lake a few miles away a few times a year you will be fine. Anything more than that.......nope!

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
43 ft with a 1/2 ton no way!
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Crown wrote:
Thanks for every ones advice and the TT is a 2018 puma 31FKRK and I measured it and its 37 feet not 43 feet. The truck is a 2014 Ford F150 XLT with the 6.2 engine with 3:73 gears I ordered the truck this way. The truck pulls it fine and handles it fine. I am asking about air bags to help with the sagging of the truck and yes I have a weight distribution hitch and yes it is set to the correct settings according to the instructions from manufacture. Also the dry weight on the side of the TT is 8121

I still think that your overweight. That truck may pull it fine, but when the winds hit, that trailer will toss that truck around bad. I know that you ordered your truck a certain way, and it is a great truck btw. I just see a lot of flags up when a 1/2 ton is pulling a 37 foot plus TT! Especially when your looking for advice on how to fix the sagging. That's just telling me that the trailer is way to much for that truck. No im sure not any weight police.... I just see this type of accident more so then not in my job... so my question back to you... is it possible to upgrade to a used F250 with the 6.2, if so that's the route that I would go. Again just my opinion and may not be what you want to hear, but an honest answer.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm quite fond of Timbrens
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Crown
Explorer
Explorer

Crown
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
What model Puma? All that you might be able to pull with your truck are way shorter. If you have one of the destination models, your really asking for major head aches.

2018 31FKRK and its 37 feet long

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
The troll has left the building
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
OP Can you please post your GVWR, RAWR from the yellow sticker by the driver side door and receiver hitch rating from sticker on receiver? Then let’s do the math. That will help clarify your truck configuration.

Thanks,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S