cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for recommendations on a two bike rack

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a bike rack to hold two bicycles to bring them with on road trips. I have a triple slide camper, and the roof access ladder is mounted on the rear slide. I'm not sure that I want to hang the weight of two bicycles on that. So I'm thinking of a receiver hitch mounted bike rack on a hitch extender.

Has anybody got experience with any of these?
Is there any particular brand and model that is best or most suitable for this application?

Anything I should be aware of before I buy something?

Thanks, Joel
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.
37 REPLIES 37

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Here's my review on a swing away two bike locking hitch based bike rack that I used in the past with my camper:

New Swing away Bike rack for Behind the Camper

Matt, mine swings the bikes out and around the corner of the camper to the side. I got a new Yakima swing away for 300 bucks because only the carton was damaged. I get lucky once in awhile.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies! Great information so far.
In my situation, the entry door to the camper is on the side of the camper. So I don't have a concern about the bicycles obstructing entry. But if I mount them on the back, the rear slide out hitting the bicycles is a concern. If the bicycles are mounted low low enough to clear the slide when it opens, they could hit the ground on a steep approach, if they are high enough to clear the ground in any situation, the slide will hit them when it opens. So something movable would be necessary.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
In our situation, a swing-away rack wasn't ideal (we already have a North Shore Rack, which also gets out of the way...). We didn't like having the bikes hang that extra length off the back, on an already long rig. Also, we use a hitch-step, not stairs, so access to the camper is much harder with a bike rack plugged in

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's my review on a swing away two bike locking hitch based bike rack that I used in the past with my camper:

New Swing away Bike rack for Behind the Camper
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Look into what is called a 'Swing Away Bike Rack' Love mine because it swings out of the way nicely on the rear hitch. My bikes swing away from the back door and reach around the corner of the camper. Mine is a Yakima swing away with a Thule hanging bike rack. There are a few brands with varying dimensions so you want to scrutinize each one. Most importantly look at all the critical reviews about each one. Also any videos too.

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't want our nice bikes on the front of the truck, and wanted to keep our hitch for a step/tray, so I mounted appropriately sized Kuat Dirtbag fork mounts onto the rear wall of the camper (reinforced with a large 1/4" thick stainless plate):
https://www.kuat.com/product/dirtbag/

It's a bit finnicky getting the right mount alignment (you have to stagger the mounts vertically or your handlebars will conflict), but otherwise a no-brainer.

We remove the front wheels and keep them in the camper.

Works great.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my experience, a front hitch keeps the bike out of the way for the most part. I find a rear hitch to get as dirty or dirtier from the dirt/dust. I live on a gravel road, the back of our cars is alway noticeably more dirty than the front.

As far as hitch goes, I have a Capstone. You will have to add a front hitch to carry on the front. New brands are coming out all of the time. I would get something that has hoops big enough for a fat tire bike in case you go that way in the future.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rinkmom899
Explorer
Explorer
We have a host mammoth and use a kuat NV 2 with a ramp. We use a 48" Reese extension and carry 2 Verve 3 e bikes. (55lbs each) We are able to open our slide with the bikes on the rack. At times we also add a Malone kayak trailer by using an over under hitch. Just be sure to take bikes off the rack before you try to take camper off the truck.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can find assorted drops for hitch heights. I inverted a 6" drop I had to a 6" rise that fit our Jeep better
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I could triangulate the mounting of the bike rack with ratchet straps going from the center of the rack out to the corners of the truck to keep it stable, either on the front or the back.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I did some measuring tonight. If the very bottom of my bicycles wheels were level with the top of the receiver hitch, the slide would just barely clear the top of the bicycle. So I could open the slide without even thinking about the bicycles. But with my 4-ft camper overhang plus my hitch being pretty low, I think that the bike rack would drag on the ground when leaving a steep approach onto a level road, like some gas stations and stuff are. So I'd have to arrange it so it was higher up. But then it would hit the slide. So maybe one that would permit the bikes to fold down for opening the slide.
Or else I could go with the front mount idea. I have an old receiver hitch that I am not using that it looks like I could probably adapt to the front of the truck.
I do have a concern that if I mounted the bikes on front and put covers on the bikes it would block airflow to the radiator and intercooler.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's asking to transport 2 bicycles outside the camper, not storage. There are many types of carriers that utilize different anchor points. Let's help him out-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Simple solution, store the bike inside.

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a glideaway rack on the back hitch with an extension tube. I can move it out of the way of the TC door without removing the bike.

The bike(s) hang from 2 horizontal bars. A temporary cross bar would be needed for a non crossbar bike. This might not be suitable for heavy ebikes. I shortened the bars on mine from 4 bikes to 2.

I travel with a cover on the bike and also attach 2 camcleat straps between the rack bars and the TC rear jacks to reduce bounce. I use anti rattle clamps on each hitch connection.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hemi Joel wrote:
Do they get very dirty or beat up by rocks and bugs and stuff on the front?

Same as your bumper, grille, hood, windshield...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold