cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

matress is terrible

wayneokeefe
Explorer
Explorer
The mattress that came with my trailer is the worst. Can it be replaced by an ordinary queen matress sold in stores?

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Now I sleep like a baby. Wake up crying every 2 hrs.

LOL!!! Wife even cracked up with that one!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Sleepys Mattress and buy a Queen size Bamboo Mattress. It isn't like hard sticks ya know. Best thing I slept on other than a water bed. Now I sleep like a baby. Wake up crying every 2 hrs. Cheaper too and you can bargain with Sleepys including Veterans discount.

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
We have the short queen and as stated by others, the original mattress wasn't up to much. After trying 2 or 3 different combinations of various foams, we finally bit the bullet and went to a mattress store and got a real mattress in the short queen size. Should have done that in the first place. One thing some folks do, if they don't like sleeping on the shorter mattress, is to cut themselves an 8 inch block of foam and slip it in front of the mattress at the top where your pillow goes at night. In the morning you can take the foam out and leave it at the top of the bed, push your mattress back up and you can still walk around your bed.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Reading one of these threads last year convinced us to order a two-type mattress cover. Foam with a poly layer over the top. I think it is a little cooler in the summer than foam/gel only toppers.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
One of our requirements when rv shopping. Will it fit an 80" queen comfortable mattress. I'm 6'2" and the short queen sack of rocks just doesn't work. We've kept the same mattress moved from one new rv to the next for twenty years. If I don't sleep well, I don't enjoy the trip. I'm wanting to go back to a smaller TT. a full size high quality queen mattress, dinette kitchen and bathroom is all I need and no less. Well, maybe a big flat screen.:B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was not bad but we added a memory foam topper we no longer needed at home and it is now great.

bobman
Explorer
Explorer
The original mattress factory will build one any size you want they build RV mattresses all the time

Google them

Heelshock
Explorer
Explorer
roundman wrote:
Good luck, we are now trying to find some decent quality foam for our dinette cushions...another place the RV manufacturers cheap out on... Good luck!

You said it! Man, that stuff is awful :E
'13 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 5.7L
'14 Skyline Skycat 24' Bunkhouse TT

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
We did a egg creat, and a mattress pad, works for us,now it all happy-camping

roundman
Explorer
Explorer
In our Amerilite 21MB I added a piece of plywood to the bed platform so that I could use a standard household queen mattress. The added length helped and made chosing a mattress easier.

We went with the Dreamfoam Bedding 12 in 1 foam mattress because I did not want a foam mattress that was too soft or too hard (unlikely for me) and you can change the different layers of foam around to find your perfect fit. I weigh in at about 450lbs and my wife about 140 and the bed frame has never even creaked from the weight (and Amerilite trailers are not built very well). Since the Dreamfoam is heavier than the stock mattress the struts will not hold the bed up to access the underneath storage, but I plan to merely place a hinged pole (like on a lot of car hoods) to hold it up.

With the Dreamfoam we now sleep very well. We used various queen air mattresses for a couple of years but none of them would take the strain.

I did a lot of research on the foam mattresses. If you can afford a Talalay foam mattress then go with that, but for the seven or eight weeks out of the year that we use the camper spending $700-1200 on a mattress did not make sense...especially since the largest expenditure is gasoline.... From my research I determined that Dreamfoam had the best quality mattress for under $400 and so far I find that it meets my demands:

http://dreamfoambedding.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70

Also, if you wish to research mattresses this web site is loaded with great information related to almost all mattresses made with unbiased reviews:

http://www.themattressunderground.com/

Good luck, we are now trying to find some decent quality foam for our dinette cushions...another place the RV manufacturers cheap out on... Good luck!
2004 AMERILITE 21MB LE
2007 DODGE RAM 1500 5.7

RollTideCamp
Explorer
Explorer
If you live in (or near) a college area the big box stores will usually have the twin size memory foam on sale close to move in time.

Since we are very budget conscious we buy it in the fall and use a lot (4-5 layers) and it sleeps great.

edit* (cheap egg-shell foam not quality memory foam)

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Heelshock wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We replaced ours with a Queen Tempur-Pedic when we hit the road FT

I worry about the added weight on the bed frame in our Skyline. I'd really like to put a pillow top mattress in there but it looks like it would add about 60 lbs to a lift-up frame that seems to defy the laws of physics.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1RQU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Add a piece of plywood standing on edge in the storage area to 'hold up' the bed. Pretty simple really, just get the plywood cut to the proper 'width' at the store and then you can probably just stand it up and screw it to the existing wood frame of the bed to hold it in place.

We had this in our old trailer and it was actually really helpful in keeping the storage 'stuff' from moving around too much under there as well.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Memory foam with gel toppers on my hybrid. Night and day comfort difference.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We replace ours with a new pillow top mattress from Mattress Firm. They have the "short queen" which is the RV queen.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76