cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max length definition

TheFifeBand
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy my first travel trailer. One thing I have noticed on a lot of campgrounds I have looked at online is an advertised maximum length. It seems like a lot of state and national parks require the trailer be under 20’, 25’ or 30’’’. What I am wondering is what that length refers to. Trailers often say they are for instance a 28x, and the trailer itself is 28 feet. However, if you include the tongue of the trailer it measures closer to 31’. So in that example, would that trailer be allowed in a campground that advertises a 30’ maximum length? Are we talking body of trailer or all the way to the tongue?
14 REPLIES 14

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I call every time. That way you know for sure what your getting. And on top of that I don’t like to put my card number out there on the web.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Our box is 21’.
Tongue is 3’.
Cargo rack is ~2’.
When asked, I put 26’.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Yup the length is supposed to be from the bumper to the hitch ball. Typically this makes the box about 3 1/2 to 4 feet less.

However, few campgrounds are stickler for such details. As suggested measure and call.

Our TT is about 27 feet bumper to hitch and we have never had a space problem but we have had very tight quarters, being wedged betweean motor coaches with slides and some very difficult to back into tree lined spots.

Some of the older campgrounds were designed around the then jumbo 18 footers, so space is at a premium. When in doubt we call.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm convinced that many people who "design" campgrounds have never ever driven or used a trailer/motorhome or camper. We recently were at a state park that had been redone and all the handicap spots were a right angle back in on the right side with bushes on each side obstructing the view when backing. About the hardest way for someone handicapped to back in. And the way the layout was it would have been very very easy to at least make the spots a shallow angle back in and no shrubs/bushes obstructing the view.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
I just love the lack of forethought,it's the places that require you to back using the passenger side mirror......doable but much easier on the drivers side. Lol

I witched about this, then I looked a little closer. Most of the sites in the state park you backed in to the blind side, put most do not go at a right angle. Once in the site, your trailer is between road and outside living area.

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
since no one answered your question, just threw more out there, i would use the length from where the ball hooks to the truck to the rear bumper on the trailer. then call or ask the campground if it will fit

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I just love the lack of forethought,it's the places that require you to back using the passenger side mirror......doable but much easier on the drivers side. Lol

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I here that! Last trip i took the directions as sharpied on the map took me the opposite way i was supost to go. So , after 3 attempts to back in ( and mt TT isnt big) i went the other way. I only noticed it was the corect way because it was a one way street. So , its best to also check everything. Twice, lol. I dont bottom out, but i do have a rear slide bed, I fudge my size now as one site the bed was in the bushes. Having a little more room isnt nessassarly a bad thing.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:
I agree with everyone here.

I assume it's bumper to ball and every place is wonky in their definition.

I wish some places would tell the slope going in as its great if the trailer will fit but bottoming out is a real possibility. I've done some creative things with 4x4s to get my trailer/truck to not bottom out going into a campsite.

often the biggest issue isn't the pad length, it's narrow access to the pad and or a narrow road lined with overgrown trees and bushes. pad is fine but getting into a right angle site with posts on each side of the pad and a narrow road can be a real issue.

And in a few cases it's the fact that the roadway is narrow with sharp turns lined with boulders.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone here.

I assume it's bumper to ball and every place is wonky in their definition.

I wish some places would tell the slope going in as its great if the trailer will fit but bottoming out is a real possibility. I've done some creative things with 4x4s to get my trailer/truck to not bottom out going into a campsite.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Kt is correct, parks are all over the board on this. Best to call and check. Or ask others that went there. If possable get the bigger site.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my experience is that the method to specify max length varies all over the place. some places it is pad length some places it's by someone (with or without trailer experience) saying what THEY think will fit. And lots in between.

I've found many places that say 30 ft max trailer and I can park the trailer hooked to my truck (65 ft overall) and fit on the pad. rear wheels hit the back of the pad and the rest of the trailer hangs over.

Other places say 45ft or more max and I have to unhook and put the truck sideways. One favorite campground site has a warning that trailers over 20ft will NOT fit in site x. My 35 ft trailer fits will room to spare and with easy access. Pad length alone is almost 70 ft. Some other sites at the same campground say 30, 35, 40 ft and it is a very tight fit to get a trailer that size into the site given how narrow the access road is in that spot and how tight the pad access is.

I take the info with a grain of salt. many sites let you see the pad and access on the web and along with a phone call I can determine if I'll fit.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with K Charles.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Some places don't like the tongue sticking out in the road. If it says the site is only 25' long I think it means a TT over 25' would not fit.