cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Melted snow on slide topper ... ice

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
This weekend we had quite a bit of snow at my place in MT. It was about 6 inches. It was abnormally wet and heavy and came while our slides were out.

I noticed when I was retracking the slides that the dinette one wouldn’t close completely. It turns out that I had about a 6 inch wide chunk of ice/snow. That was heavy enough to push down the topper and stop the slide from fully retracking.

It’s not the first time we had snow on them, but is the first time we’ve had this issue. Normally, the snow simply pushes off.

I wanted to replace the toppers this year any way, but I guess I’ll have to add a way to clear the snow off. Luckily, I had a handle long enough to clear it this time. Just a PSA if you have slide toppers carry a way to clear them, but also check the tension. Mine could be tighter.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
2 REPLIES 2

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
You may be able to insert some beach balls between the slide and topper. They may help the snow slide off.
David

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've gotten to crawling up each time... and sliding the chunk off the edge. I've found it slides pretty easily to the side. I've thought about it a few times (every time this happens..) about carrying a pole that has a small broom head on the end of 'hook', so this can be done from the ground.

Always laugh at the great idea of climbing up onto an ice covered roof with minimal guard rails... kind of a Darwin thing.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!