cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Might be buying a Dually....

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Darn it! I might just be growing up after all (no offense to those who don't agree with my reasoning)....

I love my F350 SRW and have done a lot to it and put a lot of miles on it with the AF990 on top....but....I have only two wheels on the back end and this has started to cause me concern. I keep thinking: what if something goes wrong? a blow out?

I've found a 2019 F350 CC PS 4x4 Lariat FX4 with 14,000 GVRW package for $61k which seems like a pretty good deal (it's white though and I prefer Red or Blue to white)...and am thinking that I just might pull that trigger.

Of course it means installing new tie downs as I'm thinking my old ones won't work with it (2010 SRW) and I'll need swing outs (can't believe how much those cost) but really should be able to stop there and get rolling again from what I'm hearing.

Only thing besides the color I'm not overly happy about is the 4.10's in the rear end. Sure, it will feel like a hotrod and all but I'm thinking 3.55's would give better fuel mileage on the highway.

Anyway, there ya have it. I'm thinking more of the safety factor of 2 vs 4 wheels (never did worry about breaks etc and the SRW with all the mods seems to handle the load WELL).

Course, now I have to stop passing DRW's and saying "see he's rockin' and rollin' worse than we are" since he's got 4 and I've got two and if two is one and one is none then 4 is more ๐Ÿ˜„
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
65 REPLIES 65

Johndanielscpa
Explorer
Explorer
I carried my AF990 on an F350 SRW (with air bags) for five years. Then one day, I was reading the weight sticker on the camper and realized I was overweight with my SRW. So I traded it in on an F350 dually and couldnโ€™t believe the difference in the handling. Truly, it was night and day. The SRW carried it, but the AF990 was built for a dually.

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
No sense in limiting yourself to something other than what you really want if you're talking new truck. They're not rare. Find the color and gears and equipment that you want. Unless you like impulse buying.

Outside of ordering I can't find one that fits what I want. I've looked within 500 miles of me and the closest is a Ruby Red Lariat FX4 in Boise ID. Other than the sunroof it's about right but $6000 more than the White one.

I've been looking at them since I started looking at this camper and the main reason I did not bump up to one was the difficulty in finding one the right price and configuration. I liked my SRW, modded it up and was happy. But I'm nearing 54 (geez is't just a week and a half away!) and maybe that's why I'm thinking about the safety more. I also have trouble with my arms (tendon issues and arthritis) so don't have the strength and reflexes I did when I was younger (and thought I still had LOL).....so I'm finally thinking it's time to go that route.

Plus, the wife always wants to add something more to the camper each trip, to which I am always saying "well, it's adding weight" and perhaps this lasts trip, a short 1 hr drive from home, when she wanted a FULL tank of water for the weekend I just sorta went "why am I doing this?".

14000lbs GVWR vs the 11400GVWR I have now is a big selling point. No need to worry anymore ๐Ÿ˜„ Load it up, let the wife add what she wants and head on down the road.

Not sure about the 4.10's as I think the mileage will suffer but it would pull a house I suppose, not that I'd need that any time soon but who knows.
2019 AF990

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No sense in limiting yourself to something other than what you really want if you're talking new truck. They're not rare. Find the color and gears and equipment that you want. Unless you like impulse buying.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
The AF 990 deserves a DRW beneath it, consider the DRW the right tool for the job - difference in stability will be no less than day versus night...

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love my Ruby Red Metallic SRW F350 and while I have given thought to a dually so far I am unconvinced that it is worth it. 30,000 miles so far without any issues. Doesn't mean I won't have a flat tire someday but I have already prepared for that (practiced with the camper on the truck) and know I can handle it if need be. The 3.55 rear end gives me decent mileage loaded and great mileage empty and the truck is a daily driver that barely fits in parking garages now - not sure where I'd park with a dually. But it sounds like a good deal at $61k. I paid that for my F350 diesel 6 years ago. Hate to think about the new price of a diesel similarly equipped. Good luck with your choice.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
OH and they have a 2011 F450 I liked and considered but am concerned the registration in WA State might be too much to make it worth while...I'm wondering about that too but have heard it's considered a commercial vehicle and costs a LOT more to put tabs on annually.
2019 AF990