cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mini HEKI Roof Vent,,,,,INSTALL???

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever upgraded their Camper to have a Mini HEKI by installing the large Roof Vent system themselves?????

I am wondering if it might be doable on my late 2010 Eagle Cap 950???

Gary
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff
12 REPLIES 12

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,
Thank you very much for your descriptive reply. We store our Camper undercover whenever we are not traveling.

Thanks much, now to decide whether or not to pursue this any further.

Gary

sstan
Explorer
Explorer
ggadwa wrote:
Has anyone ever upgraded their Camper to have a Mini HEKI by installing the large Roof Vent system themselves?????

I am wondering if it might be doable on my late 2010 Eagle Cap 950???

Gary

Gary,

We have a Heki midi skylight in our 2009 Outfitter camper. The key to making them last is to cover them from the outside when not using the camper. We found out the hard way what the sun can do to them uncovered when stored. I had to replace the skylight due to heat damage once until I figured out how to protect it. I found a new skylight on Ebay from a seller in England. He was also able to supply a quilted soft reflective fitted cover that we fit over the dome. This has worked well for us.

When I replaced mine I was able to see how the framing had been modified to reinforce the cutout in the roof. They blocked all sides where the aluminum frame was not available. This is key to give the roof strength for such a large opening. I used eternabond caulk to seal it and it has work well now that I know how to use it correctly.

We really enjoy the extra light day and night over the bed. The insulated dual pane dome does not sweat when we camp in the winter similare to our seitz windows.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone own the Arctic Tern skylight? It looks like it fits the same hole as the Heki Midi, and might be a good replacement for it if the quality was really better.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DieselBurps wrote:
Check out Tern Overland, they make a skylight similar to the Heiki, its half the price and twice the quality of the dometic. I saw them in person at Overland Expo.

Arctic Tern Roof Hatch
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic Heiki skylight, it's essentially garbage. The parts used are of the most poor quality. I tried to get a replacement part from the dometic dealer, it was 400 dollars, they couldn't give me an exact price because it would have to come from overseas and was 10 week wait.

They are outrageously expensive too.

Check out Tern Overland, they make a skylight similar to the Heiki, its half the price and twice the quality of the dometic. I saw them in person at Overland Expo.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I've said this before: the Heki is a nicely conceived, but very poorly executed vent. I have one in the BigFoot cabover that I've replaced parts of, then replaced entirely. I like the light and ventilation, don't mind the heat though that is a factor. However it is a very fragile piece of kit, that decays in sunlight. Parts for them are hard to get and expensive. It is cheaper and quicker to have them air express delivered from Europe, than buy them from Dometic USA.

If they had made it out of metal, or at least heavier plastic moldings, and something UV resistant, and Dometic actually supported the product in the US, then it would be great.

Not sure about the mini, but the midi is available in three versions: a bar operated, crank operated, and power operated. If you live anywhere there are bugs, go at least for the crank operated. The bar operated one requires you to open the bug screen to shut the lid, letting all the bugs inside and defeating the whole purpose of it.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary, I think it's a great feature and servicing them has become easier as Mike referenced. Again, mine is an earlier generation and we were warned by Host to treat the mechanics of it with caution. That included making sure you followed either screen with hand tension while it rolled up and not forcing the locking tabs on each side. The emphasis put on this was far more than any other aspect of ownership we experienced on the delivery.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
I guess between you and Mello Mike's comments the Heki just might not be trouble free enough.

Gary

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't help you not knowing how the roof is framed. It sounds like you have decided in favor for the vent. It has immediate charm if your camper came with one, but it can be lost quickly, like in the snap of a plastic lock. The screens lost tension on my older version (wouldn't retract) and I unsnapped all the trim and was able to re-wind the spring inside the rod and re-install. So far, it's been the most temper mental item used on our camper.

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Ii read Mello Mike's Post before I posted was kind of fishing for what others thought of adding the HEKI Roof Vent system?

Thanks
Gary

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The heat issue Mike discusses concerns me...and if it lets heat in, cold is also an issue.

โ€œAs you can probably tell, we have a love-hate relationship with the Dometic Midi-Heki Vent. If we had a do-over with this camper, we probably would pass on it. Weโ€™ve simply had too many problems and expenses with ours to make it worth itโ€ Hmmm
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
it's do-able. You should read up on Mellow Mike's review of the system on Truck Camper Adventure.