cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Safety Inspection Service?

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Virginia and need to get my trailer inspected. There are many inspection stations in the burbs of Washington DC, but very few have the room for me to park my TT in the lot. Last time we had the inspection done at an RV dealer but that is an hour away.

So my question is: has anyone ever heard of a garage performing mobile inspections? I was thinking I could get a group deal going at my storage lot. Thoughts?
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH
4 REPLIES 4

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Safford RV on I95 south of Fredericksburg has a hugh pull thru Inspection shop. Easy in and out for the biggest trailers...

Thanks. That is who we used last year. Great folks. We will pass by there in May on the way south. I guess I will call to see if they can do it while we wait.
Lee and Anne

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a couple of places here in King George County big enough. Also one in Westmoreland County.

Plan a couple of nights at Westmoreland State Park. The one in Westmoreland is just before you get to the State Park entrance... For a couple of beers they would probably come out to the Park (Just kidding) haha... Check with them first because of your big trailer - They come out to where I park my trailer in their circle drive parking lot still hooked up to my truck and do the Inspection...

Safford RV on I95 south of Fredericksburg has a hugh pull thru Inspection shop. Easy in and out for the biggest trailers...

Same thing at Ashland just off I95 forget their name...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I'm in VA also. I've never heard of such a thing. I'm not sure it's actually legal. I think you have to have a shop with certain equipment in place to do a legal inspection. I would think an RV dealer is your best bet in that area. I have my trailers inspected at a dealer for flat bed, horse, and cargo trailers.

I've spent the past week investigating the regulations in VA to be licensed as an inspector. You need to pass a mechanics test and criminal investigation. If you pass you are licensed for three years. I can't find any regs on the facility itself or a prohibition on providing the services mobile. However, I believe Virginia law says that all actions are prohibited unless specifically allowed by law.
Lee and Anne

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in VA also. I've never heard of such a thing. I'm not sure it's actually legal. I think you have to have a shop with certain equipment in place to do a legal inspection. I would think an RV dealer is your best bet in that area. I have my trailers inspected at a dealer for flat bed, horse, and cargo trailers.