cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moisture under mattress solutions please

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
... Good morning... Got a AF TC and just noticed moisture under the mattress; we have a layer of Reflectix under the mattress for insulation purposes and moisture is on the Reflectix & bottom of the mattress.... What did you do to solve this issue???....TIA....
37 REPLIES 37

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Problem Solved.... On top of the 1/2โ€ foam insulation board I put on a Queen sized Den-Dry (from Amazon; good reviews and instructions) .... Thanks to all you helpful posters!.....

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We put something similar to these under the mattress. Worked nicely to insulate and provide a bit more cushioning. We haven't had any problems with condensation since.

Floor mats

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Currently 94% humidity outside this morning in Columbia California....

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek.... check your messages....

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
We had TC's for many years and camped in cool/cold weather a lot. ( We are from Canada).Condensation under matress was an issue. The reason is there is a thin layer of insulation between the bottom of your mattress(warm, moist air) and outside cold air. This causes condensation. My solution was to put a sheet of 1" styro under the whole matress and along the sides which touch the exterior walls same height as mattress. Problems solved.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
We have not had a problem with moisture under the mattress, I think because we do not heat the cabover. In fact, we have drapes to keep the heat out of the cabover. We sleep best when the cabover is cool and we can pile on the covers.
Plus 1...
I would guess your TC is better insulated than mine. I try to stop for the year or move South when the temps start dipping below freezing. If I turn the heat off at night, I wake to a TC temp of about 10-15 degrees warmer than outdoors; i.e., about 45 degrees. That is a bit too cold for comfort as far as I am concerned.
We don't turn the heat off at night. We heat the bathroom area to somewhere between 57 and 60 degrees but like to keep the cabover around 50 degrees or a little less.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
hedge hopper & jaycocreek....We also sleep with windows & vent open.... We are also Full Time in the AF TC, so might be a different situation than yours???....Wasnโ€™t an issue in the desert....

We fulltimed in a 24' Beaver Class C...Three of us and a dog..The top window was always open and the vent above the bed cracked mostly because we ran a catalytic heater 24/7 during the cold months and my wife likes it cold in the upper bunk to sleep..Also in the 21ft Class C we just sold to go back to a truck camper...We never had condensation problems in the bunk area probably because it was always vented heavily but the lower area was always warm..Kinda the wood stove effect with the catalytic heater.

All our full timing was done in the mountains with an occasional full hookups for laundry and re-stocking...We do the same in out TC and haven't had any condensation problems up stairs in the cold hunting months.

Where the AF 865 has a heat vent up stairs(memory) might be the issue.Let us know the fix if you find one because the AF-865 is my wifes choice for are next TC..Ya,over the Bigfoot Foot 10.4..Go figure LOL
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I don't read all posts but I put the dimple barrier that foundation guys put on house foundation exterior walls before backfilling with dirt. Allows air to move and no moisture. Also not expensive for a small piece.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Just to compare how the issue will change with location, in Las Vegas overnight temperatures will drop close to 40F, but I have to run 2 of "whole house" humidifiers to maintain 42% humidity in my house.
Suppose 42% kills flu virus.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
hedge hopper & jaycocreek....We also sleep with windows & vent open.... We are also Full Time in the AF TC, so might be a different situation than yours???....Wasnโ€™t an issue in the desert....

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
We have not had a problem with moisture under the mattress, I think because we do not heat the cabover. In fact, we have drapes to keep the heat out of the cabover. We sleep best when the cabover is cool and we can pile on the covers.

Plus 1...

I would guess your TC is better insulated than mine. I try to stop for the year or move South when the temps start dipping below freezing. If I turn the heat off at night, I wake to a TC temp of about 10-15 degrees warmer than outdoors; i.e., about 45 degrees. That is a bit too cold for comfort as far as I am concerned.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:

Plus 1...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
Thanks for some good answers folks! Put down a layer of 1/2โ€ foam board and also ordered a queen Den-Dry... And it is definitely an issue when you find moisture under the mattress! We were volunteer camphosting in the desert and no issues there but came up to the moisture & rain in the Mother Lode to deal with some rental property issues and thatโ€™s when issues started....(We are FT in a AF 865 TC).....Again thanks for the replies!!!

Yes, so far the blue foam board has work for us so far. Thanks for heads up on dry den! Looks good. Going to order it to add to foam board.