cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More info on painting wallboard with vinyl covering

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from FL and looked at more manufactured houses than we planned. All have the vinyl wallboard, including the brand spankin' new ones. Talked to our realtor + several owners who had painted over the wallboard. ALL of them said to wash the walls with a good household cleaner and allow to dry. Kilz primer....by name and absolutely! Then 1 or 2 coats, whatever is needed to cover sufficiently. I asked one owner whos walls looked freshly painted and she said they were done in 2006 and looked wonderful. Looking at the online ideas for this project, it seemed like it might be easier to just pull it all down and drywall, but after seeing all the results, I feel much better about it being easier than expected.

We did buy a house and while the wallcovering is not bad, it's not my idea of great, so this project will be high on the list. Also, some said you could tape over the molding strip between the sheets of wallcovering, then sand and so on, but IMHO you could still see it, so why try to camouflage and it doesn't work? The brand new ones that were painted looked perfectly fine just going over that strip.

I tried to find the OP re this in a bathroom, but no luck. Hope this helps the OP.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!
0 REPLIES 0