cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Murphy bed?

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
First off hello to all, its been awhile!

We have been out of camping for a number of years, with the kids all in college now we are finding some free time and looking more so at a couples trailer.

We have been saying no to a Murphy bed, thinking it just cant be very comfy and if we wanted to change out the mattress it would be next to impossible with some of the odd shapes I have seen.

Are we being to short minded?

We are trying to keep the length down to 20-26 feet and prefer a walk around bed.

Thoughts?
22 REPLIES 22

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
In January we bought a Rockwood Mini Light with the Murphy bed. I wasn't keen on the idea but wife was pretty insistent on the bed. I was having trouble with the lack of space on the under bed pass through, it was pretty limited compared to our old Cougar.

I did/do like the mini light because the entire Murphy bed folds upward and leaves finished cabinetry instead of the bottom of an exposed mattress to look at.

After getting the trailer and setting it up with all our stuff and adjusting for the pass through storage and making a few short trips, I love this trailer.

It is 2 feet shorter than our old Cougar and we have empty storage areas even after all the junk is aboard.

Take a look at the Rockwood Mini light 2507S, it is a Forest River product but compared to a lot of other products we looked at , including the Lance, it is a better product, at least for us.

Tinbender

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
In January we bought a Rockwood Mini Light with the Murphy bed. I wasn't keen on the idea but wife was pretty insistent on the bed. I was having trouble with the lack of space on the under bed pass through, it was pretty limited compared to our old Cougar.

I did/do like the mini light because the entire Murphy bed folds upward and leaves finished cabinetry instead of the bottom of an exposed mattress to look at.

After getting the trailer and setting it up with all our stuff and adjusting for the pass through storage and making a few short trips, I love this trailer.

It is 2 feet shorter than our old Cougar and we have empty storage areas even after all the junk is aboard.

Take a look at the Rockwood Mini light 2507S, it is a Forest River product but compared to a lot of other products we looked at , including the Lance, it is a better product, at least for us.

Tinbender

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer a walk around bed because you do not have to put it up or down.

But that is a matter of preference, as is trading bunk beds a bigger bath.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Wow any other lower end manufacturers make similar floor plan, to
Timber Ridge, model 24rls . This a little rich for us, but love everything!
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
Our Wildwood's murphy bed we can walk around comfy after I put a foam topper on it.. WE were totally against them when we were looking at gettin a new trailer (its our first brand new one) But after we looked at one with it in we loved it.. WE really like that we can have the short trailer that we had to have to be able to keep it at home and flop up the bed and have a loveseat.
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, good to hear most seem to happy with a Murphy Bed

PrairieSchonner
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Murphy bed in our 22' TT and it has a split mattress that we covered with a 1" foam topper. We find it comfortable. There is enough space under the couch to store an outside table and 2 folding chairs. Pass through easily handles all the other outside stuff. On rainy or cool days we appreciate the extra indoor space the couch provides. as well we haven't used all the storage this Sonic VBH has in it.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had this camper for 5 years before they changed it and added the Murphy Bed. It was an awesome camper for us. We really Loved it.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
richardcoxid wrote:
Since you are also looking for a medium size TT, check out OutdoorsRV, Timber Ridge, model 24rls and 24rks.

Very nice, may want our 3/4 ton back! The 1/2 ton maybe a little taxed. Perfect floor plan with the rockers!

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
ADK Camper wrote:
Here's my opinion which you are, of course, free to ignore. If you like the floorplan and the Murphy bed get it. Don't over think the storage issue. Without kids along you already need a lot less stuff. If you carefully select items you bring along focusing on what you actually need and will use you may find that you will require less storage than you think you need. We have a couples camper (FunFinder 210WBS 18' box) and after 7 years of use, we still have empty cabinets.

When you equip your new camper try to get things that take up less space. For example Corelle dishes stack and nest fairly compactly and they can be used in the microwave. Nesting pyrex bowls with snap lids can be used in the microwave, conventional oven, freezer, refrigerator, and they can all be stored in a stock pot. Lots of things are made with collapsible silicon like dishpan, strainer, measuring cups, etc.

Bear in mind that we all tend to take more stuff than actually need. Control that impulse and things will probably work out fine.

Thanks for the info, somehow we squeezed, us and the kids into a 19' rig at one time! It was tight but we made it work.

You are right in the fact that we/most people seem to over pack. I swear if one has a 1,000 sq ft home or a 4,000 sq ft home they both will be packed!

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are also looking for a medium size TT, check out OutdoorsRV, Timber Ridge, model 24rls and 24rks.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my opinion which you are, of course, free to ignore. If you like the floorplan and the Murphy bed get it. Don't over think the storage issue. Without kids along you already need a lot less stuff. If you carefully select items you bring along focusing on what you actually need and will use you may find that you will require less storage than you think you need. We have a couples camper (FunFinder 210WBS 18' box) and after 7 years of use, we still have empty cabinets.

When you equip your new camper try to get things that take up less space. For example Corelle dishes stack and nest fairly compactly and they can be used in the microwave. Nesting pyrex bowls with snap lids can be used in the microwave, conventional oven, freezer, refrigerator, and they can all be stored in a stock pot. Lots of things are made with collapsible silicon like dishpan, strainer, measuring cups, etc.

Bear in mind that we all tend to take more stuff than actually need. Control that impulse and things will probably work out fine.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
We looked at tts with Murphy beds, and the only thing we really didn’t like is the bed severely cut into storage.

Agree 100%. NO travel trailer with a Murphy bed will offer anywhere near the front pass through cargo capacity as will a trailer with a conventional walk around bed. The front pass through in my 19' Coachmen is humungous, even for a relatively small trailer.

STOP IT!
You guys are making me jealous. My underbed storage is not a pass through. The water pump and water heater take up the left side. They could have placed them under a dinette seat and made it a pass through.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
We looked at tts with Murphy beds, and the only thing we really didn’t like is the bed severely cut into storage.

Agree 100%. NO travel trailer with a Murphy bed will offer anywhere near the front pass through cargo capacity as will a trailer with a conventional walk around bed. The front pass through in my 19' Coachmen is humungous, even for a relatively small trailer.

Agree 100%. Our pass through is huge and I wouldn’t get a camper without one.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch