cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My 2019 Ford F 150 towing

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this truck a few months ago. It has the trailer hitch 7 pin connector and on the dash, a screen for towing info. But it has no brake controller with some kind of gain control. I'm shopping for a travel trailer. What do I need?
24 REPLIES 24

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
5800 dry? yep you're good. Go for the factory controller.
Life is not as difficult as many on here would like it to be. Do numbers and ratings count? sure, but there is no reason for the slavish devotion some members have for them.
Folks on here revel in telling you,that you are wrong. that your set up is dangerous,that if you follow your plan a train load of nuns and orphans are going to die a fiery death, solely due to your ignorant selfishness.

Your best bet is to ignore all these self appointed scholars and crack open the owners manual and vehicle specific resources .
These guys are not a bad lot,but many suffer from armchairexpertitis.

X2 Kudos for the good advice.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
5800 dry? yep you're good. Go for the factory controller.
Life is not as difficult as many on here would like it to be. Do numbers and ratings count? sure, but there is no reason for the slavish devotion some members have for them.
Folks on here revel in telling you,that you are wrong. that your set up is dangerous,that if you follow your plan a train load of nuns and orphans are going to die a fiery death, solely due to your ignorant selfishness.

Your best bet is to ignore all these self appointed scholars and crack open the owners manual and vehicle specific resources .
These guys are not a bad lot,but many suffer from armchairexpertitis.

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
The truck has the 5.0 395 HP engine. 10 speed automatic. 3.31 axle ratio. The trailer I just put a deposit on weigh 5,800 lbs dry

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I find many of these replies hilarious. For 2019:
Ford F-150 bumper pull, no receiver, ALL are rated for 5000#.
Most with the 53B option, receiver & wiring, are rated at 7000# or slightly over.
Tow package 53A tow ratings are all over the place, engine, wheelbase, axle ratio, payload dependent.
Max Tow package 53C is the only package to include the Trailer Brake Controller (TBC), but it is available as a separate option.
Yes, payload rating is critically important. Separate subject.
The Ford F-150 forum is the place to find more information about your truck than you thought possible.
The factory TBC is a bargain for near $100. You do have to reprogram the truck with Forscan or have the dealer do it. That way you can use your dash display to monitor trailer functions.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I didnโ€™t misunderstand you, Mike. You are making tow weight recommendations withOUT knowing anything about the F150 except it has a tow screen and seven pin connector. Not responsible.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, I don't know about the Ford controller, but I can highly recommend the Tekonsha P3. Great controller that is easy to wire in if your truck is prewired. Universal setup, lots of variables you can adjust. Its reasonably priced too.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
I thought this was about a break controller, the op dosen't even have a TT yet. Lol.

Your sig date shows that you haven't been on here reading posts for very long. The normal for threads to go off track is around 4-6 posts in. Some never get back on track. LOL

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P11SCM/?tag=td-trailer-brake-controllers-pcr-20
I had this on my older gmc, worked great and was easy to install. The factory one will look better, not sure if that will play out into work better. But this should be all you need.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
The factory IBC is located to the right of the steering wheel and down low on the dash. If you don't have the factory IBC, there will be a small opening there that will have a plastic storage space box. The IBC wiring plug is already there, attached to a dummy plug on the back of that box. You have to remove that small box by taking apart some plastic pieces (center stack cover, console cover, etc). Plug in the IBC that you must buy for about $100, and put it back together. There are some YouTube videos on the subject. Be cautious about which IBC you buy. A Ford dealer will ask you for your VIN so you get the correct one. The ones for sale on eBay might not be the correct one for your vehicle.

Now you must tell the computer that the IBC is installed. A decent Ford dealership can do that for you, or you can do it yourself with the Forscan program. There are 2 lines of code that need modification. That is another entire discussion.

You probably also need to install a relay that Ford provides. Should be in your glove compartment unless somebody removed it or already installed it.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Try to get this back on track. You can add an after market brake controller or try and get a OEM controller added. I would prefer the OEM as they seem to me to integrate better. When you tap your brakes, the trailer will also brake and the trick is to get this feeling seamlessly, so they stop together and not the trailer stopping the truck. The OEM seems to be better at this, I think. The other things going on here are, look at the payload sticker on your driver door jam and get your payload. This will tell you how much your truck can legally carry, including passengers, hitch, and weight of the trailer on the hitch (Tongue weight). There are also some comments on if you have a tow package, which would add a transmission cooler among other things. May want to mention which motor and drive ratio. Good Luck!

Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
I thought this was about a break controller, the op dosen't even have a TT yet. Lol.
The brake controller went on break!

We are providing the OP unsolicited information to consider when shopping for a TT.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed. According to the same weight police I should be using nothing short of a 1 ton DRW. I do admit I should be using a 3/4 ton, but this particular F-150 gets the job done nicely.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
Johnny Hurryup wrote:
I bought this truck a few months ago. It has the trailer hitch 7 pin connector and on the dash, a screen for towing info. But it has no brake controller with some kind of gain control. I'm shopping for a travel trailer. What do I need?

I recommend the Ford integrated brake controller.
You'll find this forum advise seems to limit a F150 to 6000lbs the F150 forum folks are comfortable up to 8000lbs.

here's a link to get you started

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/adding-trailer-brake-controller-483714/
The real confusion is the fact that all F-150's are not built the same. You can't say you have an F-150, so you are good up to xxxxlbs. My previous 2005 F-150 was max'ed out towing a 6000lb TT. My current 2011 tows a 10,000lb FW very comfortably. This FW would have crushed the 2005's rear axle and smoked the tranny. You have to know your numbers.

Yes, I know my 2011 is a rare bird but I'm using this as an exaggerated example. Point is, F-150's have a wide range of spec's. You need to know your specific trucks specifications to determine what you can tow.

I agree but to my point there's a thread on this forum where they asked if it should be a 1/2T or 3/4T The weight police recommend a 1ton "just in case" For the trailer they were speaking about a 1/2T would be just fine.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.