cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Son wants to buy this TC, Is he Crazy?

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist TC Camper listed in the Portland Area

Well, you've got to give my son credit, in that he wants to get a Truck Camper for himself, like his dad. He is a very frugal kid and often buys and sells from Craigslist so he is experienced there.

Looks like a S&S camper and his plan is to put it on a 2X4 Toyota Tacoma. I don't remember which year. But he checked the payload for the truck and it lists in at 1.5k.

He is very familiar with overloading a truck and has gotten my thoughts, so, what better place to get some sage advice than from you ladies and gentleman. He knows the score when the seller stated that; "It only weighs 1,000 lb. and it is often carried on small trucks like Rangers and Toyotas."

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr
32 REPLIES 32

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, THANKS!!

Since I don't post much here as I am often far from any internet service. I am sure most no longer know me. But one thing I have learned, in the years I was lurking and a member, is the fact there is some sage advice here on this forum.

I have sent this link to my son, so he will be able to sift through the comments and come to a decision that is best for him. Many of the things that have been written here were things I already brought to his attention, in an earlier email. it is always good to here consistent suggestions.

All the best to everyone and thanks for some $$$ suggestions, Mark/GpnAZ, too. Who knows, he might be one of the newer TC members here soon.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice camper, depending on supply and demand in his area, he might be able to talk him down another $500-$750. I would tell him to be prepared on spending another $1000-$1500 dollars to beef up the suspension plus what it costs for tie downs. As long as the camper is as nice in person as it is in the pictures and everything works, it should make a nice first camper. It would be nice if the owner would let him try it on his truck first. Tell him good luck!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's an S&S Brand logo on the rear by the ladder, you can see it when you expand the photo on craigslist.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same as Jaycocreek. Kept the 1 ton SRW but sold the Lance and got a pop-up. I'm way under my GCVW now, even loaded up with 'stuff. and it makes a world of difference not just in handling but in fuel mileage and off road ability too.

Don't even know the camper is back there unless I look in the mirrors. Big seat of the pants difference between the Lance and the Palomino. Even adding the trailer with the quads don't make an impact. Weight is everything, especially weight above the bed rails.

If I get another one (doubtful at my age), I'll go even lighter with either an Alaskan or a FWC pop-up unit. My wife and I (and my hunting pals) don't need a dry bath or a fireplace or a big screen TV to be comfortable. All we need is a dry comfortable place to sleep and basic cooking necessities. My 'entertainment center' is my CCrane weather am/fm radio and I don't watch TV anyway so a TV is not a necessity.

Don't get me wrong, I like the big units but I have no need for one.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My concern (no matter what the weight actually is), is the ability of the rear end on the truck to carry it without bearing and ring and pinion issues. Don't know squat about Japanese rear ends other than they certainly aren't as stout as a Dana 60 or 80. Then you have the gearbox to worry about. Again, not familiar with Japanese slush boxes or standard boxes either but I'm sure the clutch isn't all that big to begin with.

Decades ago, I had a Mazda and a Datsun pickup and both had pretty lightweight drivelines. I have to say I beat both pretty hard and neither failed. Both succumbed to rust in the end.
2015 Backpack SS1500

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
On a Tacoma you've exceeded the rear axle rating by about 200lbs. You can put E-rated tires and stuff chunks of well casing between the axle and frame, but it will never be a particularly stable or satisfying drive.

I would never argue a 1/2 ton is a better camper hauler than a 3/4 ton or a 3/4 ton better than a 3500 dually..Just saying,it can be done and driven without issue.I have done it four times on different 1/2 tons with mods and never had any axle issues or anymore sway than the multiple campers I put on my 3/4 tons.

The op said his son understands over weight which I would assume means he understands the issues that "could" arise just like I am sure everyone that is close to 1000 lbs over GVWR understands also.

This time around,I went just the opposite of what I have done in the past..I bought a 3500 dually so I was not limited on camper selection on the used market..Ended up 500 lbs under GVWR loaded for the hills and full of gas and water with a 9.6 ft camper.

Good luck to the op and his son as light weight 1/2 ton compatible truck campers are in high demand in the northwest and get a premium price from what I have seen.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crazy people have all the fun... tell him to go for it!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Capri's are light but very spartan inside and personally, I don'r care much for them. Don't like the layout. I see (NS) make a non over the cab sleeper option thats light as well but not much room inside, deleting the over cab bed. There is also a camper called a Razor thats a non-cab over as well but I know nothing about them and from what I've seen in pictures, they don't look to be at all comfortable and probably are not well made either.... but then what is well made today in the RV world....

Still think the 'sit it on and check the squat factor will be the telling test'.... if 1045 is a pie in the sky figure or not. The truck will tell you right away.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
"By about the same" yes, but 500lbs of extra weight on a Toyota Tacoma has a much more adverse effect than 500lbs of extra weight on an F250.

On a Tacoma you've exceeded the rear axle rating by about 200lbs. You can put E-rated tires and stuff chunks of well casing between the axle and frame, but it will never be a particularly stable or satisfying drive.

On an F250 you've still got another 1000lbs to go to reach the rear axle rating.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking for a light weight truck camper for my F-150 sometime ago.There are overhead truck campers in the 1,000 lb(dry weight) category..Capri is one that comes to mind at 1145 lbs (I think)..Ofcourse that is without options just like the tags on other pickup camper trucks.

So what would be the difference in this person with a payload of 1500 lbs buying a camper with a 1045 dry weight or a 3/4 ton with a payload of 3000 lbs buying an Arctic Fox 865 with a dry weight of 2641 lbs?

There both going to be over GVWR by about the same, just like the majority of truck camper owners.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang wrote:
I will weigh in here...

I am highly suspicious of the 1045 weight tag. Loaded, wet, I would expect that camper to be 16-1700 pounds.

The base payload of his truck is factory floor weight capacity and doesn't extras like gas or drivers.

The truck will be badly overloaded.

I am as well, suspicious of the weight. Even FWC's weigh more with aluminum frames and skin.

I guess it's the old 'sit on it and see how bad it squats' routine.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
If he negotiates a price and buys it we will want pictures and impressions of course. I'd be looking it over carefully, very carefully for that price however. The ad says 'redone inside'. I'd ask why and what and how.
2015 Backpack SS1500

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I will weigh in here...

I am highly suspicious of the 1045 weight tag. Loaded, wet, I would expect that camper to be 16-1700 pounds.

The base payload of his truck is factory floor weight capacity and doesn't extras like gas or drivers.

The truck will be badly overloaded.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Two things make that price what it is. First, it's true, it is hard to find campers that are built small and light enough to go on small trucks. Second is condition, but for that it better have been stored inside since new and really be mint.
Even with that little unit, his next CL purchase will probably be a real pickup, or at least a Tundra!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.