cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Narrowing in on Trailer Selection (need help)

lwilliamj
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Brand new to the forum. Have been researching and taking to one owner locally and think we are narrowing in on getting a Micro Minnie. I have a few additional questions and thought I would look to a couple of forums for additional insight. Thanks. We will be pulling with a 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab. This would be our first time towing anything other than a few rented utility and moving trailers. Probably some Covid weekend get aways here in the midwest and potential trips to see/stay with kids in Portland OR. I thought we probably wanted to be in the 20' range but in looking at floor plans and think that we may have fallen in lover with something like the 2306BHS. This would primarily be for my wife and I but occasionally maybe my daughter and two small children for short overnights or a weekend so we like the idea of the couch and dinette and ability to sleep 4. But this weighs more than we were originally thinking and is 25 ft long so I have a series of questions that I hope folks can help me out with. If this is the wrong spot or wrong way to post, please suggest where I should be going, or appropriate procedures. Thanks in advance. Here are my questions:

1. Folks on my Ranger 5G forum suggest staying at under 5000 lbs. This looks to be 4500. Do you think it is too heavy and too long for us to be looking at?

2. One of the reasons we decided to concentrate on a BH model is that we would hope to place our bikes in the BH space. Currently we have no idea if the is possible. We don't know the dimensions of the hatch. One is a trek e-bike the other is a trek mountain bike. We thought it would provide good storage in transit and at the camp sites at night? I haven't seem any one discussing doing this with bikes. I would like so feedback from users that have attempted to do what we are thinking.
12 REPLIES 12

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
lwilliamj wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I was asking because I thought it was a bridge too far so I appreciate the input. The 2100BH or shorter is likely to be a better fit. The dry weight of the 2100BH is 3660. Thanks again.

More likely to be OK, but GVWR of the trailer is still 7000lb.

You still haven't shared the specs on the truck.

Small pickups often have minimal capability, so fair chance you are over the limits.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
But the 2100BH has only 1,140 of cargo capacity. Not enough. Fresh water alone will be almost 300 pounds. Batteries...100 pounds.

2106 DS and FBS have over 3,000 pounds of cargo capacity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lwilliamj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I was asking because I thought it was a bridge too far so I appreciate the input. The 2100BH or shorter is likely to be a better fit. The dry weight of the 2100BH is 3660. Thanks again.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Valhalla has it right, tow rating, payload rating and hitch rating tell you what the truck can do.

Payload will most likely be the limiting factor because it includes family and the loaded trailer tongue weight.

These factors tell you the size trailer you can pull. The wife chooses the floor plan.

It is not unusual to talk to other campers at the campground and find they have little knowledge or concern over these numbers. But there in no denying they affect the wear and tear on the tow vehicle.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trade that Ranger in on an F-150 and enjoy the new trailer!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 21' (overall length), #4100 ULW trailer with a half-ton Silverado cab-and-a-half w/6.5' bed. There is no way I would be comfortable pulling it with a mid-sized truck - when you get the tail wagging the dog, it's not good. RVing should be fun - not white-knuckle....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately for a trailer that size, you'll be very close to it's 7000# GVWR.

When searching for a trailer your best to look at it's GVWR vs the UVW or dry weight.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 views on this.

1. RVnet ninnies will say you can't tow jack with it, it's not a F350, lol. A little truth to that, in that it's a large trailer for the size of the truck and your towing experience to date may not lend itself to being on the upper end of the truck's rated capacities. (Yes more is better sometimes, what is debatable is, is it necessary).
Also, you mention X country trips. Not the forte of a vehicle at it's "max." But with the turbo it wont' be a turd in the mountains.

2. You have a new truck, which is presumably in as good of condition as anything out on the road and capable of operating within it's full capacities no problem. The little motor with a hairdryer on it puts down as much power as any half ton with a "big" V-8 from no more than 15 years ago, when it was "ok" to tow a trailer like this with that power. And it will likely do a better job of it, slightly. The Ranger is not a compact truck, but rather, what 15-20% lighter than a CC 1/2 ton? It's got enough mass to not get it's arse kicked by a 25' trailer, but again, refer to #1, it's certainly not more truck than needed.
Dragging the trailer around Cheese land, I wouldn't hesitate. Driving back n forth to Oregon, I would prefer a bigger truck for comfort and a more relaxed drive.

Hope this helps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
An issue with the 2306BHS is a cargo limit of 1,500 pounds. Thatโ€™s not enough for me. Loaded it is too close to max.

Looks like 4500lbs dry weight 7000lbs gvw to me. Maybe my internet is not working right today. I don't own one...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An issue with the 2306BHS is a cargo limit of 1,500 pounds. Thatโ€™s not enough for me. Loaded it is too close to max.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Problem is that 4500lb number is the empty weight.

GVWR is around 7000lb, so expect a hitch weight of around 1000lb.

What's your trucks tow rating?
What's the trucks payload rating?
What's the trucks hitch rating?

You will be well over 5000lb, probably more like 6000lb and when you add the hitch weight plus passengers and gear in the truck, good chance you are over the truck's payload.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
1. Folks on my Ranger 5G forum suggest staying at under 5000 lbs. This looks to be 4500. Do you think it is too heavy and too long for us to be looking at?

Yes to weight and no to length.Youโ€™ll add 1,200 pounds of water, propane, batteries and stuff plus a WD hitch. That totals to almost 6,000 pounds. Your wheelbase isnโ€™t good. Big difference between my Tahoe and current Silverado. Your payload numbers are ok? Hitch weight alone will be 800 or so pounds.

2. One of the reasons we decided to concentrate on a BH model is that we would hope to place our bikes in the BH space. Currently we have no idea if the is possible. We don't know the dimensions of the hatch. One is a trek e-bike the other is a trek mountain bike. We thought it would provide good storage in transit and at the camp sites at night? I haven't seem any one discussing doing this with bikes. I would like so feedback from users that have attempted to do what we are thinking.

After removing the bikesโ€™ front wheels, they should fit. Consider also removing one pedal.

PS...Iโ€™m very happy with my Winnie 2101DS.