cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need 1 more inch of clearance

2horse
Explorer
Explorer
I am purchasing a new trailer that is 11'0" with A/c on top. My barn opening is 10"11.5" Is there any quick way to lower about an inch? This will only be going in barn for winter. Would removing a/c shroud help any? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our radio antenna caught on the lip of the raised door coming out once... had to reseal the base of the antenna and put a piece of vinyl tubing over antenna.. no more little ball on end to catch door.. The AC looks like it might hit but there are several inches of clearance...

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Great news! Plus now you get to sue them for fraudulent advertising. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ya, you got "short" changed, lol.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news! Plus now you get to sue them for fraudulent advertising. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you!

Dunno, I can measure myself as many times as I want but I don't get any shorter or taller. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2horse
Explorer
Explorer
I got it figured out. I appreciate the help. Turns out it was 2" shorter than literature said. I guess it pays to measure yourself.
Thanks again.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go down to 15 psi when I tow the TT on the beach and it easily drops 1". If want to store between trips, look at replacing the leaf springs with an air suspension that you could use to drop the trailer height.

Be careful about digging out at the entrance, you might create an issue with water getting in the barn when it rains./

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rental
Clicky

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Saw an episode of Tiny Houses where the build was too tall to get out the door ๐Ÿ˜‰
Deflating the tires worked.
Of course, in another episode where the home was too tall, they cut away the entrance to the warehouse ;(
If you're going to store the TT in this barn between trips, I'd seriously consider a barn (door) raising. For off season storage, messing with tires each time is fine.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
How heavy is the trailer. Maybe get some vehicle moving dollies from Harbor Freight. You could take off the wheels and let the trailer sit on the brake drums on the dollies and then back it in.
Link

If you're worried about warping a drum you could cut and drill some steel plates slightly bigger than the brake drum and bolt to the wheel studs to the plate and lower the plate to the dolly.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is it a flat approach to the barn door? If there is a slope, the A/C may not be the highest point.

Also I would want more than 1 inch...if it bounces at all, you could lose the 1 inch real quick.

Shroud plus lower tire pressure should be 2-3 inches. Plus gives you a reminder to clean the fins each year.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of suggestions, deflating tires is easiest.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Guy Roan wrote:
If you are handy, Just remove the whole A/C unit. it is not all that hard.
There are how to do it videos on U-tube.
Then reinstall it after you pull the trailer back out.

Guy

Really?
I mean yeah theyโ€™re not โ€œthat hardโ€ to remove, but airing down tires will gain up to a few inches of clearance.
Seems like a no brainer imo.

For once a year in and out, a low pro AC is a bit spendy as well
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
If you are handy, Just remove the whole A/C unit. it is not all that hard.
There are how to do it videos on U-tube.
Then reinstall it after you pull the trailer back out.

Guy

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
short term fix. If it were me I would consider changing the tire size, modifying the suspension or reframing the door sometime, because eventually I would come home tired and forget to air out the tires.