cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help Deciding which feature for trailer

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we are looking to buy our first travel trailer right now. There are three models that look pretty good to us and we are having trouble making a decision. Two of the models have a panel that comes down with an outdoor sink and cooktop area. The third model does not have that but it has a second door which would lead directly into the bathroom. We will be traveling with 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs.

Previously, we have only done tent camping so we are unsure what would be the pro/con of these features. We don't want to make a huge purchase and then kick ourselves in a year wishing we had gone in the other direction.

Thanks for any help!
30 REPLIES 30

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the outdoor kitchens I've seen have the cheapest junk for cooking. Some of the grills look worthless. Sinks don't always drain into the RV's grey tank. If it has a fridge it needs 120V.
The other issue is some outdoor kitchens are located at the rear side of the RV past the awning. If it's really hot out or raining then there's no cover while cooking.
We prefer a simple table with a Weber Q.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a fan of outdoor kitchens. They steal too much interior space.

If you want a grill outside, get an extra table. They make some really good compressor "cooler" style refrigerators that will hold a lot more drinks AND at a colder temperature.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought the kitchen was good unless you had kids then they stay outside and is a better deal for keeping trailer clean. The first thing I do is have the Jayco place move the gas line to the forward side of the trailer just under the awning then my grill sits on its own stand dry and away from the trailer enough to grill in its own spot. Also we spent winter in Fl at our own site and have a shed with a nice refrig. Life is good if you can plan it.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO in most situations, an outside kitchen is eye candy. sort of like a fake fireplace, J couch, etc. the refrigerator is too small for drinks and a small igloo cooler more practical.
bumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
When considering an outside kitchen, ask how that outside refrigerator is powered and how you will make that happen. Don't accept the idea that you can travel with it off, a cooler it is not. Ask if the stove is always connected and is it large enough to be useful. Ask where the waste water is captured and what to do with it.

Personally I would want the refrigerator inside close to the door accessible at all times, and a bathroom easily accessible with the slide in or out.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot depends on how you plan to use the trailer. The outside fridge is nice if you are plugged into shore power, but useless if you are not. The main fridge runs off of propane when you are boondocking, the bar fridge in the outside kitchen is 120v only.

The outside door to the lav is in theory a good idea to keep the little ones from tracking through the trailer, but I wouldn't want to have a door there if I was camping in cooler temps, those doors are not insulated that well. If it was a big trailer with 1.5 baths, I could see an outdoor entry to the half bath.

The hardest part of buying the first trailer is visualizing how you will use it, i.e., the type of camping you will do. Buy what you think you will like, and go from there.

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
One of the biggest advantages of the outdoor kitchen is the fridge outside while you're traveling. We stock the fridge with our meals and drinks for travel day, then every gas stop we can let them eat. When we are on site, it's a nice storage area for more food, since we have 3 kids.

I do agree however, it's nice to have LP hookups around the rig so you can put your grill where you want.

The only other point is re-sale-ability. The outdoor kitchen is desirable generally.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having an outside fridge so dad and the kids can grab drinks without going in and out of the trailer would be nice (especially if it's hot and the aircon is struggling to keep it cool) but the outdoor kitchens we've seen look fairly low grade and unusable otherwise.

We would prefer the extra storage space. Get a 22" blackstone and either set it up on the picnic table or get a folding stand. That will be far better than the tiny 1/2 burner stove you get with an outdoor kitchen.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't like the idea of cooking grease splattering on my TT. I just keep imagining a huge grizzly licking off the smells and deciding that there may be some tasty morsels inside. A grizzly stays out of our TT's because he does not want to come in. I will continue cooking on the picnic table or our portable table which rides in the back of my truck. I scrub the picnic table off when I arrive and before I leave.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I saw the first outside kitchen setups back some 10 or so years ago, I really thought that was something I would really like. I love to cook outside while camping and do so as long as I can be under the awning at least when the weather is not so kind..

Turns out, the doors usually are too low for me. I'm 6'3" tall and they usually end up at the back of the trailer behind the awning, so the only cover is the door, and on level ground, I seemed to always have to duck under the door on the ones I looked at.

Anyway, I ended up with a trailer that I liked the floor plan better than the outside kitchen, but I still basically ended up with one as the new Rockwood we have came with side mount attachments that give me a place for the included BBQ grill and I also use it with my old Coleman stove on a board. Next to it has a nice side table that holds the cooking stuff.

And it's all under the awning. I don't have to drag out my big stove table and I have tons on interior space where that outside kitchen would normally be.. I don't really need an 120v fridge or sink outside either... My beer fits fine inside the RV fridge. (one door rack is just for 6 beers! I just re-stock it as I consume it..)

Anyway, in the end, it really depends on what you want and how you camp.. Coming from tent camping, I'd think any RV will be different, so you just gotta find your own route in the end.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
I would never use an outdoor kitchen. When I cook outdoor I use a stand alone propane grill and/or a propane camp stove so I can locate them where I want.

With 4 people I want as much storage space in the TT as I can get and since you have tent camped you are use to cooking outdoors.

Thanks - yes, a good point. And we do already have a propane stove.

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
My kids had a trailer with both an outdoor kitchen and a rear door into the bathroom. They liked and used the outdoor kitchen a lot, especially the blender and refrigerator. One unfortunate opening of the outside bathroom door caused it to remain locked and unused.

Hahahaha - yes I could see that as an issue.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My kids had a trailer with both an outdoor kitchen and a rear door into the bathroom. They liked and used the outdoor kitchen a lot, especially the blender and refrigerator. One unfortunate opening of the outside bathroom door caused it to remain locked and unused.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought at on time I wanted an outdoor kitchen, then decided I wanted the extra storage instead. Im with TenOC.. flexibility to move the grills etc to wherever I want them, not wherever the RV wants them.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I would never use an outdoor kitchen. When I cook outdoor I use a stand alone propane grill and/or a propane camp stove so I can locate them where I want.

With 4 people I want as much storage space in the TT as I can get and since you have tent camped you are use to cooking outdoors.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos