cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help Deciding which feature for trailer

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we are looking to buy our first travel trailer right now. There are three models that look pretty good to us and we are having trouble making a decision. Two of the models have a panel that comes down with an outdoor sink and cooktop area. The third model does not have that but it has a second door which would lead directly into the bathroom. We will be traveling with 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs.

Previously, we have only done tent camping so we are unsure what would be the pro/con of these features. We don't want to make a huge purchase and then kick ourselves in a year wishing we had gone in the other direction.

Thanks for any help!
30 REPLIES 30

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Any married man knows the correct thing to do is ask your wife what she wants.

I hope yours was not looking over your shoulder as you typed that ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
:B :E :W

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
X2 the Weber is the most sought after RV grill.......... never get a grill for home or otherwise without a cast iron grate !!!

I would suggest that grill grate completely blows away cast iron. I took the cheap coleman grill, set it up with quick disconnect and run off trailer propane. It took a grill that should only find the nearest dumpster to throw it in, and made it a highly capable grill. I've put grill grates on my home grill too.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
I would never use an outdoor kitchen. When I cook outdoor I use a stand alone propane grill and/or a propane camp stove so I can locate them where I want.

With 4 people I want as much storage space in the TT as I can get and since you have tent camped you are use to cooking outdoors.

And this is a perfect example of the first response to this post. Only you can decide. Our 2018 trailer is the first we have had with outdoor kitchen and it is by far my favorite feature of the entire camper. Provides storage for an extra set of pots and pans, utensils, an extra sink, a small fridge, cover from sun and rain, countertops for placing things as I cook, etc etc. We cook outside as often as we can I love it! Now, in agreement with the quoted post above, I never use the built in outdoor stove. I setup a big camp stove and grill in a horse shoe type setup around the outdoor kitchen. I setup drinks and cups on the counter top and some paper towels. There is no right or wrong you just have to decide

KM_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
GusCalifornia wrote:
Hello, we are looking to buy our first travel trailer right now. There are three models that look pretty good to us and we are having trouble making a decision. Two of the models have a panel that comes down with an outdoor sink and cooktop area. The third model does not have that but it has a second door which would lead directly into the bathroom. We will be traveling with 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs.

Previously, we have only done tent camping so we are unsure what would be the pro/con of these features. We don't want to make a huge purchase and then kick ourselves in a year wishing we had gone in the other direction.

Thanks for any help!

I believe it is near impossible to get the "right" trailer the first time without having spent some time trying out different trailers.

Yes, it will cost some time and money, but it will probably be well worth it to rent a few different models and spend as much time camping as you can in them.

After living in each of them a bit you will have a much better idea what features are important to YOUR family.

Then you may be able to purchase your 3rd RV the 1st time, saving $$$ and time.
Kevin & Mary
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed - For Sale
2020 Ford F350 6.7 PSD 4X4 DRW CC LB
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler

Partsbob
Explorer
Explorer
Another opinion; though it is just my wife & I in our 32โ€™ TT, we absolutely love our outdoor kitchen and use it virtually every day we camp. It came with a mini-fridge, sink and grill (attached to bumper), which we canโ€™t imagine having another RV without after this is the 1st with one of the 6 TTโ€™s weโ€™ve owned so far. Of course, since our TT has an Enormous amount of interior storage, and that our CharBroil Grill-2-Go grill stores in the outdoor kitchen for travel and connects to the TT LP, weโ€™re not hurting for the extra storage the outdoor kitchen occupies. Regarding the 2nd entry door; it would be nice for us, but not necessary without kids needing access to the bathroom constantly.
2015 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
2019 Heartland North Trail 27RBDS UltraLite Caliber Edition (previous)
2018 Starcraft Satellite 17RB (previous)
2012 Jayco Swift 154BH (previous)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to suggest something used or something rented to get a feel for what is good/bad without the all-in new purchase.

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone! These gave us a lot to think about! We decided to go for the one with no outdoor kitchen and do the 2nd door leading to the bathroom! This was really helpful. Thank you to all who took the time to reply!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of our trailers have had two doors with one of them leading to the bedroom. We wanted a door there in case of a fire there would be a quick easy way out.

The other requirement was that the whole trailer be available for use during an overnight stop without putting out the slide. Our present and previous trailer, both Sunnybrooks, met both requirements and have been great trailers.

We still use the 2004 many times during the summer months after using it as a traveling and snowbird home for most of its' life. Too bad Sunnybrook did not survive the last recession.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My 2 cents on the matter. I have a bunkhouse with door to bathroom but no outdoor kitchen.
I prefer not to have an outdoor kitchen simply because an RV is too small to have duplication. 2 stoves, 2 sinks, 2 fridges etc. . One of each will do.
I cook outside exclusively, however I set up my outside kitchen with a folding table.
Some time it can be very elaborate, sometime very basic, but either way I do not want to have valuable space used up by a dedicated outside kitchen.
I also eliminated my 2nd bath. I simply removed and plugged the toilet. Counter and sink with faucet removed is still in place
My thought again is that an RV does not need duplication 2 baths are not necessary.
It's the 2nd black tank that is the problem. 2 baths with one black tank is fine but 2 toilets and 2 black tanks are more trouble than they are worth.
I simply don't want to dump and maintain 2 black tanks each trip.
My single black tank can contain my family of 4 for a week easy.
On a weekend trip we would have 2- 1/4 full black tanks vs. have 1 1/2 full tank.
There was no upside to 2nd toilet. Yes it was convenient for kids but it simply created unnecessary work for me. I eliminated the toilet and now the 1/2 bath makes a great out storage closet with outside access.
Keep in mind I'm a weekend camper. If I full timed or even part timed my thoughts would be different on 2 black tanks.
In my older years I have become very efficient in my camping set up. My days of pink Flamingos and "Doo Dad Lights" are gone. I only bring it out if it has a purpose. I try to limit my set up and breakdown chores. On a long 3 day weekend I still may have a large outdoor kitchen and lots of stuff going on. However on a routine weekend trip I may only have a chair and table with a electric griddle set up. If I'm really in relax mode a chair and cooler will do.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
On our camper, we tried to find one with only one entry door and with no outdoor kitchen. We ended up with a camper that had almost everything we wanted, but did have a smaller outdoor kitchen that we don't use. Here is a few thoughts. My opinions only - your mileage may vary.

With our floorplan, the entry door is located mid-camper. You can access the whole camper, except for the fridge, with the slide in. You can access the whole camper even if beds are out. On some units, a second door may be added because you might not otherwise be able to access a bathroom or bedroom. For example, a rear living unit where the door is blocked if the couch is made into a bed. As others have mentioned, the second door can be an issue for a variety of reasons. But, some like having the door into the bathroom. Think about your group and how you might want to access the camper at the campground and also when taking a break at a rest area.

At the RV shows last year, most units had an outdoor kitchen. They ranged from a very small fridge up to enormous pull out tables with built in grills. Some had large refrigerators, ice makers, and all kinds of accessories. I shared pictures on our blog for the shows in Richmond and Virginia Beach that would give you a sample.

We use our inside kitchen. We also cook outside a lot. I have a Weber Q, Blackstone, and a Dutch Oven. From my point of view, the small two burner stoves in most RV outdoor kitchens are awkward to use. They might be useful for making coffee or to cook with a smaller round pan. I noticed that some RV makers have switched over to providing a griddle instead.

How do you envision using the outside kitchen? Think about what you like to cook. Do you like to have gatherings at your site but don't want people going into the camper for a drink? Will you be at a site with electric hookups or boondocking?

Good luck with whatever camper you buy. It's just great to have the chance to get outdoors.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are travelling with kids, I would think the door to a bathroom is better. Our trailer has a second exterior door to a bathroom and we thought it was odd, but while travelling it is a great idea, easy access (and faster access) at rest stops.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
On our latest trailer, we originally sought a unit with outdoor kitchen but then found a floorplan that trumped that desire.

It's just the wife and I now and we much prefer cooking with charcoal or even an open fire so carry a small grill and table each trip.

Regarding 2 doors vs 1......a bedroom door was a must for us and would have been a deal breaker had our unit not had 2 doors.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Most of the outdoor kitchens I've seen have the cheapest junk for cooking. Some of the grills look worthless. Sinks don't always drain into the RV's grey tank. If it has a fridge it needs 120V.
The other issue is some outdoor kitchens are located at the rear side of the RV past the awning. If it's really hot out or raining then there's no cover while cooking.
We prefer a simple table with a Weber Q.

X2 the Weber is the most sought after RV grill.......... never get a grill for home or otherwise without a cast iron grate !!!
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any married man knows the correct thing to do is ask your wife what she wants.