cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help for locating a new Generator box

Johnnydo2
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 20' travel trailer and want to mount a box on back bumper for my 3200w Firman generator to run the generator in.
I need to know where to find such a box and accessories.
Thank you.
Johnnydo2
14 REPLIES 14

Johnnydo2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, that is wonderful headsup info.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, but, The rear bumper is not a good idea for a whole bunch of reasons.

You will have to find a different place to mount it. I know it sucks, but that is just how it is. Sorry again.

Johnnydo2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
Thanks, great advice, and ideas about mounting.
What about a good lock box?
I have a front bedroom, I am thinking of mounting on rear bumper.
Take care.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Exposed generators attract THIEVES !

I make mine very difficult for thieves to steal even inside a camper shell or on a cargo carrier and never leave it alone in a campground. Has a thick handle and very small/compact easy to carry around. I learned from misfortune of others a long time ago to be vigilant for thieves and have caught a few about to do something in Texas. When they saw me watching them with binoculars they took off. In California I am

A cell phone with camera, binoculars, and another important item are handy and good deterrents. So far nothing stolen since I started RV camping in 2003.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You could mount it on the tongue and if it exceeds the tongue limit cap off and remove one of the propane bottles. 37 pounds is what a full bottle weighs. So you add 100 but remove 37 for net gain of only 63 pounds. In warmer climate we tend to use less propane and it solves the problem of proper tongue weight.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seon wrote:
Google "travel trailer generator mount"

Maybe one of these will work for you.

I like the A-frame mounted one. It adds to your tongue weight (as long as the truck has sufficient payload), which is generally a good thing for towing.

On the rear bumper of a 20ft trailer, be sure to check the tongue weight. If it's OK but borderline, that may reduce the tongue weight enough to make towing unstable.

Assuming 150lb with the mount and cover...it could easily be taking 100lb off the tongue weight.

If the trailer weighs in at say 4000lb loaded with a 450lb hitch weight (11.25%) and you drop it to 350lb suddenly you are at 8.75%. 10% is the typical break point where things get squirrely. Though higher is better.

It tends to be less of a concern on larger trailers. A 9000lb trailer with 11.25% tongue with will be 1012lb...lose 100lb and it's still at 10.1%. (5th wheels with 20-25% pin weight and wheels placed further back, tend to be even less affected).

As someone else mentioned, the rear bumper is not a structural member, so I wouldn't trust it to support much of anything.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
canoe on top wrote:
Looks like that weighs 92 lbs dry. Figure 100 with fuel. Looking at the leverage a platform like the one pictured above would have, I would not hang that on a flimsy trailer bumper. I would suggest a trailer hitch welded to the frame.

In addition to the 100 lbs, add the platform weight. No way would I consider the idea.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Exposed generators attract THIEVES !

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like that weighs 92 lbs dry. Figure 100 with fuel. Looking at the leverage a platform like the one pictured above would have, I would not hang that on a flimsy trailer bumper. I would suggest a trailer hitch welded to the frame.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Google "travel trailer generator mount"

Maybe one of these will work for you.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine weighs less than 50lbs and I place it away from the truck/trailer usually on a small sturdy stool or campground table off the ground. Maybe OP can find a large rubbermaid like container for the firman just for carrying purpose and use it on a cargo carrier. I use different size rubbermaids for storage and they work great. I have seen boxes like he wants on the internet using Google search. To each his own

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Check tractor supply or harbor freight.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Running it like that makes it louder and vibrates the trailer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sometimes carry my Firman 2000W genny on a HF cargo carrier mounted to my truck trailer hitch and other times carry it in the bed and I have seen similar cargo carriers mounted behind TT. They may have a hitch on the trailer or bolt the carrier to the bumper. I have a thick Honda cover for my Firman and then wrap it in large black garbage bag if suspect wet conditions. Carry the accessories in a small rubber mate container inside the camper shell.