cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need recommendations of SUV to tow 4700lb TT in the Rockies

OlesOdyssey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I'm a first time camper owner and need a new SUV to tow my 2021 Keystone Bullet Crossfire TT with 4700 lbs GVWR. I'd prefer not to buy a large SUV (Sequoia, Tahoe, Armada, Expedition). I've done research on the Jeep Grand Cherokee models with the V-8 HEMI, as well as the Lexus GX460 and the Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged, all of which appear to have the hp, torque and towing capacity. I'm open to other recommendations as well. Thanks, in advance, for your help!
12 REPLIES 12

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
2020 or later Ford Explorer, especially the ST or Platinum trim with the 3.0 liter.
Jeep and Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
You seem to be concentrating on power and maximum pull weight. Start first with what a proposed tow vehicle can carry. We can estimate your tongue weight at 650 pounds but who and what will you carry in the tow vehicle? Add that to the tongue weight…this number will be your minimum tow vehicle payload.o

Or for a simpler answer, there is no way that any of the "big" mid size SUVs will be outclassed by that trailer one bit.

The absolute death grip that some have on payload rating is borderline insanity. And I understand that concern come from people who don't (rightfully so I suppose?) understand vehicles at a great level, but it just gets so tiring to hear the same rhetoric...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OlesOdyssey wrote:
Hello. I'm a first time camper owner and need a new SUV to tow my 2021 Keystone Bullet Crossfire TT with 4700 lbs GVWR. I'd prefer not to buy a large SUV (Sequoia, Tahoe, Armada, Expedition). I've done research on the Jeep Grand Cherokee models with the V-8 HEMI, as well as the Lexus GX460 and the Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged, all of which appear to have the hp, torque and towing capacity. I'm open to other recommendations as well. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Welcome!
If you were more specific, it would help. Are you talking new or at least current models?
That said, the "big" midsize suvs that you are considering (put the Durango in the mix too, Ford and GM don't have anything competitive in this class.
ANY of those you mentioned will tow that trailer smartly and safely.
Exploder Eco boost would as well, but shorter wheelbase.
Personally I would take my chances pulling that trailer with a Toyota corolla before I ever bought a Range Rover. If the image of driving one wasn't bad enough, the drama and cost of owning one will likely make your regret the decision in the long run!

The top 2 rigs in that class for your use are a GJC or Durango.

And i may be harsh on the Euro rig thing, I'm not a Euro car aficionado and frankly anyone I know with them, and the problems I hear about...those folks who onw them are not mechanically inclined and that could be part of the deal. So to be fair, If I took a poll, here in the land of douchey Euro cars and SUVs, I see more Bimmers on the road than all the others combined (save for little VW cars) and of all other brands, more Mercedes than the other 3 or 4 mfgs combined.

I love the idea of a X5 diesel. And think they're extremely cool, look sweet and offer alot. My old boss (he was a douchey euro car driver), bought 2 new X5 X35s, 2013ish. Bought a his and hers. He was that kind of guy. Wore $2k worth of clothes and shoes to work to be the area manager of a construction company.... He had a diesel, wife had a gasser. I saw him drive the wifes car probably 30-400 of the time and he said several times how the diesel was in the shop for....whatever. And these were new vehicles. Food for thought.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I can highly recommend the BMW X5 35d, model years 2012 to 2018. If possible, get one with the third row seats, as they also have rear air bag suspension (self-leveling). The diesel is no longer available for later model years. For those model years, the maximum tow weight is 6,000 lbs. and the turbo diesel drags it through the mountains easily. The 3 liter twin-turbo 6 puts out 265 HP and 425 foot-pounds of torque.

If you do decide on the BMW, be sure to have the official BMW trailer wiring harness installed, as the aftermarket harness trailer companies push screws up the vehicle electronics.

I have taken my 2012 with a loaded trailer at about 5,000 lbs across the rockies and back west of Denver twice as well as many times over a shorter mountain (rise of about 2,000 feet) here in the east that has a 15% grade on both sides. In 90° F weather.

As to the cost of fuel, the diesel gets about 1/3 farther on a gallon of go-juice than the corresponding gas version, so as long as diesel fuel in no more than 1/3 more expensive than gas, the diesel is still cheaper to run. Today, gas buddy reports diesel at $5.49 and RUG at $4.49 at Sam's Club, which is 22% difference, thus diesel is still cheaper per mile.

One thing to note is that coasting in gear, the ECU shuts off all fuel to the engine. This if you coast down a long slope in cool or cold weather, the engine will be stone cold by the time you reach the bottom, so don't be surprised to see a puff of black smoke or a check engine light (not to worry, goes away after a restart) when you finally step on the go-pedal.

Driving the Jeep diesel I had before the BMW, an idiot tail-gated me all the way down Going To The Sun road at Glacier NP in 50 degree weather. I have no idea what he thought he was doing, you can only go so fast due to traffic. He stayed so close I couldn't see the top of his grill. I was delighted to watch him vanish in a cloud of black smoke when we got to the bottom. I think he entered another dimension, as I never saw him emerge from that cloud.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
APT wrote:
I highly recommend something with forced induction, and diesel preferred. Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel is one. Used, there are some MB/BMW/VW/Audi models too.

Yes, the benefit of forced induction is great at altitude, but ANY 300-400hp suv will have more than enough snort to tow that trailer capably.
Again, we don't know the OPs budget, but I can think of many reasons, not the least of which is overall cost (new vs new, repairs vs repairs on older rigs) makes the Euro rigs not the best choice. Range Rover being the worst of the bunch....Unless one has not enough things in life to deal with and wants to complicate something to give them something to do...
Ecodiesel is a good choice (power and economy) and there are plenty of good ones out there, however those in the industry would put the Ecodiesel on par with Ford's good ole 6.0s and 6.4 Flowerjokes.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Double check the LOADED weight of your trailer.

A lot depends on how many passengers and cargo you have in the tow vehicle. Ford Explorer and Ranger 4 door will handle it WHEN EQUIPPED WITH THE TRAILER TOW OPTION !

He said 4700GVWR, clean off your readers...He's already accounting for what is reasonably the max weight of the trailer....

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
APT wrote:
I highly recommend something with forced induction, and diesel preferred. Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel is one. Used, there are some MB/BMW/VW/Audi models too.

Forced induction, YES !

Diesel ? Have you looked at the price difference lately ? Also the initial cost is much higher.

Remember, that Jeep does NOT have a Cummins engine in it !

While some like to focus on it.
The cost of fuel is a relatively small part of RV ownership cost.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep GC payload range is 1,266 to 1,812 pounds. 1,500 might work.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You seem to be concentrating on power and maximum pull weight. Start first with what a proposed tow vehicle can carry. We can estimate your tongue weight at 650 pounds but who and what will you carry in the tow vehicle? Add that to the tongue weight…this number will be your minimum tow vehicle payload.o
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:

Forced induction, YES !

Diesel ? Have you looked at the price difference lately ? Also the initial cost is much higher.

Remember, that Jeep does NOT have a Cummins engine in it !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Double check the LOADED weight of your trailer.

A lot depends on how many passengers and cargo you have in the tow vehicle. Ford Explorer and Ranger 4 door will handle it WHEN EQUIPPED WITH THE TRAILER TOW OPTION !

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)