cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Tips For Buying Used Camper

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a used truck camper listed on Craigslist.

What I don't know is what kind of title the seller should have.

The seller has sent me a picture of what they are calling a title, but the document is a certificate of origin......I don't know how truck campers are titled.
In a phone conversation they mentioned that they still have a loan for the camper and what they want for the camper is what they owe on it. So, I would think the bank is holding the title. The seller seems genuine in thinking the certificate of origin represents a title.

I don't want to buy the camper and find out later I am liable for a lien against it.

Any insight into buying from a private seller would be appreciated.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW
14 REPLIES 14

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
What the seller should have is their loan documents. The loan company can tell you the best way to handle the transaction. Usually an escrow service is a form of insurance as they handle the money and payment of the amount due to the finance company and then transfer a title or bill of sale to you.

In my state a camper is not registered with the DMV. It is sold like any other piece of private property. What you want to avoid is having the owner not pay off the loan and the company deciding to repossess the camper. Not clear though if this can even be done with something like this.

If it is a good deal and the camper is in good condition then it is worth the effort to close the deal.

Most people, outside of Congress and Wall Street, are honest so I would not assume that there is anything amiss.

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Also possible that they may owe the bank on a signature loan or other type that dosent use the camper as security

States that Title truck campers

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there is any malicious intent on the part of the seller. I talked to them on the phone, and they seemed genuine.....and I am pretty good judge of that kind of thing....I can almost always see thru someone trying to feed me a line....but don't get me started on politics.
It is just my confusion....and possibly theirs....because of never buying a big ticket item from a private seller before.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I know how to proceed....If I decide to pull the trigger on this thing.
It is a Host Everest, and the more research I do...I think it may be heavier than I want. My truck has a cargo capacity of 5076 lbs, but that thing is huge....4350 dry...and I will be pulling a boat a lot of the time. If you add people, stuff, 81 gal of water, and a boat I would have to beef up my suspension.
I REALLY like the Everest, but I may have to look for a nice used 1191.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Bob B wrote:
... I think doing the deal at the bank that has the loan would be the only safe way.

As a side issue.....what is the best way to arrange payment? I was thinking of doing the deal at their bank and doing a bank to bank funds transfer.
You have your answer here. The bank holds the loan, they can do the transfer, and sign a lean release. I would also have the seller to sign a release/bill of sale.

I think the word you wanted is "lien."

And there's seldom such a thing as a secret lien. If there is a lien, it should be recorded somewhere....unless the creditor has possession of the collateral. Every state's law on this will be different.

I have heard that nobody will loan money on a used truck camper here in NM because there are no title certificates and thus no way to record or enforce a lien.....but I do not know because I paid cash for mine.

A lien is a type of property interest between a debt and an item. But like any other kind of property interest, in order to tell the world that something is yours, there is usually an office where these things are recorded.

But lien or not, valid or not, recorded or not, there's one more thing to consider as well: "A thief conveys no title!"

AKA: if someone sells you something they don't own, it isn't yours any more than it was theirs......since they had no rights to sell you.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Bob B wrote:
... I think doing the deal at the bank that has the loan would be the only safe way.

As a side issue.....what is the best way to arrange payment? I was thinking of doing the deal at their bank and doing a bank to bank funds transfer.
You have your answer here. The bank holds the loan, they can do the transfer, and sign a lean release. I would also have the seller to sign a release/bill of sale.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
trail-explorer wrote:
FreeLanceing wrote:
... If it does not have wheels or a plate no real need for a title. .

Not true in all states. many states will register and title an RV, whether it has wheels or not.

True, another way to tax people.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
FreeLanceing wrote:
... If it does not have wheels or a plate no real need for a title. .

Not true in all states. many states will register and title an RV, whether it has wheels or not.
Bob

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
A Certificate Of Origin (COO) is common for a new vehicle cash purchase without a title. It is for the true owner, not the state that issues a title (a title is the states way way of showing that they own the vehicle that you paid for). I have received COO's for my ATV's, Snowmobiles, and a brand new Chevrolet truck that I paid cash for but didn't register in the state of purchase. A COO means more than a title to me, it is from the manufacturer.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for keeping the government out of it too. Part of the reason I want to buy from a private seller.....TAX.

I am just concerned that the bank could still have some ownership in the camper even though I have a valid BOS.

The camper is in Nevada.....anyone know if a title is required there?

Oh, and the certificate of origin just shows the camper being transferred from the manufacturer to a dealership in Nevada....I don't see the sellers name on the document.

I think doing the deal at the bank that has the loan would be the only safe way.

FreeLanceing
Explorer
Explorer
My current camper came with a coo. I have sold a few with just a bill of sale nothing else. If it does not have wheels or a plate no real need for a title. My JD tractor has no title. A bank may require a title but personaly I have never bought a toy on a loan, cash only. The COO I have is still in the old owners name but signed off. When I sell it I may just give it to the buyer as is, or just give them a BOS. It depends what side of the fence you are on. If you feel like a concerned citizen and enjoy more gvmt give them your money. If you don't keep them out of it. Some states may require a title. There is a reason you see a lot of class A's plated to MT or SD, less gvmt, less taxes its your money.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Victory402 wrote:
Do the deal at the bank.
X2
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Do the deal at the bank.

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Not all states title truck campers. A new camper would be supplied with a certificate of origin. This is the document one would use to title the truck camper.So if the owners state didn't title truck campers, just having a certificate of origin would be the correct document for him to have. You still need to make sure the lien on the camper is satisfied, whether he gives you the C.O.O or not.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
they mentioned that they still have a loan for the camper and what they want for the camper is what they owe on it. So, I would think the bank is holding the title..

RUN Forest RUN
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit