cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need to rent a tow vehicle.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Ideas for renting a truck for some long distance (5 to 8 hour drives from home) towing of my trailer?

Hertz Equipment Rentals has like a 100 mile range and said they would let me go to my local camp since there's a Hertz less than 100 from that location, but not so much for towing to Yosemite or Sequoia.

My current ride has too many worry points to use it for those trips.

Enterprise doesn't have trucks with towing packages and they say no to towing.

Not ready to buy a new truck, but don't want to avoid long tows because of breakdown worry.
22 REPLIES 22

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:
I used Enterprise awhile back for commercial applications. They even allowed me to install a 5th wheel. Looking on their website they allow personal rentals of trucks for towing.

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/vehicles.html

Was this a truck with a bed? If so they let you drill holes in the bed? Just curious. When I bought my 5th wheel last year I needed a truck to pick it up but I couldn't find one with a hitch in it.

DynoDragn
Explorer
Explorer
TuroYou could use Turo and rent someone's truck. Tons of trucks for rent in Dallas. It's like air bnb but for cars. I've used it before instead of using a rental car.

It's an app in the App Store and it has a website
2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn 6.7
2015 XLR Nitro
2012 Ford F-350 DRW King Ranch 6.7
2013 Landmark San Antonio

ckemp
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I know a lot guys that rent a box van or truck to tow a travel trailer and put their toys in the box. Whether this is part of the contract is an unknown by me but very common usage with people that have off road toys and no toy hauler.

I've seen U-Haul box trucks towing TT'S at several campgrounds, and even had a friend rent one to get his TT home after a breakdown.
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
Passport 2400BHWE

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Expensive camping? Did I read that right?
It seems at least half the guys here have $75,000 trucks and campers that are $40,000 and up... way up. THAT'S what I call expensive camping!

Lol that's so true!!! I just told my wife that the other day. At 44 I never thought that I would be camping in a fancy 5 th wheel, and a nice truck. Always had a tent..... Well that's until 12 years ago. Camping or glamping can be cheap, however it's all about the toys unfortunately....... Well not for me but for some.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Expensive camping? Did I read that right?
It seems at least half the guys here have $75,000 trucks and campers that are $40,000 and up... way up. THAT'S what I call expensive camping!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
patperry2766 wrote:
Capps Rental

Their site says that the 15 passenger van, flatbeds and certain pickups are allowed to tow

Thanks for the tip. It looks like Capps is about 10 percent cheaper, which means almost $100. I'll probably go that route.

Steve
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Capps Rental

Their site says that the 15 passenger van, flatbeds and certain pickups are allowed to tow
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
DALLAS STEVE Would it not be cheaper to rent a motorhome then rent a TT and truck?

Maybe, but not by much. I've looked at their prices, too. My current leaning is to buy a travel trailer and truck, so I think I'd better get a taste of driving one and camping in one. I rented and camped in a motorhome 35 years ago, and it was nice, but nice is not the only factor in my decision.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
DALLAS STEVE Would it not be cheaper to rent a motorhome then rent a TT and truck?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Enterprise Trucks rents Rams and Fords per their web-site LINK . The rams are 1500 gas or diesel @ $69.99 per day with 450 miles free then $0.29 per mile after that.
The Fords are F-250 @ $79.99 per day with the same mileage rate.

That is some expensive camping right there.

Don

That is some expensive camping, but it may be worth it to rent once before I buy. I'm looking at renting a travel trailer for a vacation this summer to get a taste of that RV configuration before I buy. I checked Enterprise, United, and Ryder. Ryder didn't list a pickup truck, United wouldn't tell me their mileage terms, and Enterprise is expensive. I'll spend about $800 on the truck for one week with mileage. Does anyone have a better suggestion before I reserve a truck from Enterprise?

Edit: I also checked UHaul and their truck is only $150 for a week, but it's an additional 0.79 per mile which will make it even more expensive for me.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Enterprise Trucks rents Rams and Fords per their web-site LINK . The rams are 1500 gas or diesel @ $69.99 per day with 450 miles free then $0.29 per mile after that.
The Fords are F-250 @ $79.99 per day with the same mileage rate.

That is some expensive camping right there.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:
My current ride has too many worry points to use it for those trips.

Not ready to buy a new truck, but don't want to avoid long tows because of breakdown worry.
I would address those worry points and go with what you have. I am at 190,000 and would take mine anywhere.

Have a list?

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I used Enterprise awhile back for commercial applications. They even allowed me to install a 5th wheel. Looking on their website they allow personal rentals of trucks for towing.

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/vehicles.html
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unitedrentals.com rents 1 ton Diesel trucks
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32