cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neighbor a bit unhappy with his truck

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
This truck lives near a friend of mine and saw it, then I saw it in the news. Car problems are never fun, no matter what emblem is on the grille.

Story

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
29 REPLIES 29

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
proxim2020 wrote:
X2. I had to laugh at the comments about how he ruined his paint job. Unless the vehicle was in bad shape before, you normally can get spray paint off pretty easily. I've seen guys buff out spray paint by hand with a clay bar or a cleaner wax. Just about any detailer worth their weight can remove it quickly with their pro tools and chemicals. I suspect this guy knew what he was doing before he started spraying.

My thoughts exactly. It'll take some work, but you can remove anything that dries on TOP of the clear coat, like this spray paint did. If he used plasti-dip, or a similar product, it'll peel right off.
Ralph Cramden wrote:
The bottom line is the guy is probably an *******, and was just annoyed with the effects of active fuel management (cylinder deactivation) or just one of those whose mantra is everything is always the fault of others. You have all kinds. My brother in law who is an independent mechanic did a 4 wheel brake job on a 1996 F150, and two weeks later the guy threw a rod through the side of the block. The idiot blamed it on the brake job, and took him to small claims court lol. I sat in for the entertainment value, the local magistrate was almost in tears laughing at the moron while tossing it out.

You are probably right too. I can tell you I HATED the cylinder deactivation feeling on GM products. I had a company vehicle that had that and it was terrible. The car felt and sounded like it was lugging. It had an annoying pitch to the exhaust and I felt a slight vibration. It was operating just the way they designed it... but I didn't like it. If I was buying a truck with that feature, I would surely test it out FIRST...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why do I get that feeling this guys last truck was a Ford.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
May not have ruined his paint, but he sure would cement his standing with me as a total kook. I wouldn't touch anything he was involved with, even with Dr. Seuss' proverbial thirty nine and a half foot pole. To paraphrase a famous quote usually attributed to either Lincoln or Mark Twain , "It is better to sit silently and be thought a fool, than it is to do something and prove it".

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Itโ€™s easier than you think to remove spray paint from a vehicle without damaging the factory paint. He got what he wanted. GM took notice and got a hold of him and are working on a solution. Good for him!

Couple hundred bucks to a good detailer, you'd never know it had been sprayed.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Itโ€™s easier than you think to remove spray paint from a vehicle without damaging the factory paint. He got what he wanted. GM took notice and got a hold of him and are working on a solution. Good for him!

X2. I had to laugh at the comments about how he ruined his paint job. Unless the vehicle was in bad shape before, you normally can get spray paint off pretty easily. I've seen guys buff out spray paint by hand with a clay bar or a cleaner wax. Just about any detailer worth their weight can remove it quickly with their pro tools and chemicals. I suspect this guy knew what he was doing before he started spraying.

It may come off easily, but then again it may not. It depends on the paint used, and a whole host of other factors. In any case you're taking clear coat with it and with factory paint you don't have much to give up. A trained eye will always be able to see where it was buffed out. He'll probably burn through the clear and that will be GMs fault also lol.

His truck is a 2015 and according to the article he has had it back at the dealer numerous times. Why did he not take it lemon law? From what I have read Texas has one of the best lemon laws in the US, and it's geared more to the buyer and not the manufacturer as most are.

The bottom line is the guy is probably an *******, and was just annoyed with the effects of active fuel management (cylinder deactivation) or just one of those whose mantra is everything is always the fault of others. You have all kinds. My brother in law who is an independent mechanic did a 4 wheel brake job on a 1996 F150, and two weeks later the guy threw a rod through the side of the block. The idiot blamed it on the brake job, and took him to small claims court lol. I sat in for the entertainment value, the local magistrate was almost in tears laughing at the moron while tossing it out.

I worked in a body shop for 10 years. All you need is a little paint thinner and a rag. It will take the spray paint off which is usually enamel, without doing any damage to the factory paint. Shouldnโ€™t even need to be buffed! It will need to be waxed but it will be ok. Iโ€™ve even seen the really good guys buff out key scratches if it didnโ€™t go below the surface of the clear.

Believe me. Iโ€™m 99.9% sure the guy in the article knew what he was doing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
proxim2020 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

It may come off easily, but then again it may not. It depends on the paint used, and a whole host of other factors. In any case you're taking clear coat with it and with factory paint you don't have much to give up. A trained eye will always be able to see where it was buffed out. He'll probably burn through the clear and that will be GMs fault also lol.

His truck is a 2015 and according to the article he has had it back at the dealer numerous times. Why did he not take it lemon law? From what I have read Texas has one of the best lemon laws in the US, and it's geared more to the buyer and not the manufacturer as most are.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
dodge guy wrote:

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, back in the 70's there were two unhappy Lincoln owners.

One of them added a taxi advertising sign on the trunk. (if you are old enough, you know what I'm talking about) He had printed all of his complaints about this car, on this sign so everyone could see and read it. What I didn't understand was that he drove this car with the sign on it for more than ten years. If you hate the car that much, get rid of it. You are only making yourself miserable.

The other Lincoln owner obviously had plenty of money to burn; And that is exactly what he did. He parked the car in front of the Pico Rivera Ford assembly plant and lit the car on fire. Note: Lincolns were not made at this plant.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:
If his state has a โ€œlemon lawโ€ GM would have to buy the truck back if they canโ€™t resolve the problem.

If the problem rises to Lemon Law status, which this doesn't seem to. IIRC the vehicle has to be in the shop x number of days, at least in Florida
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
If his state has a โ€œlemon lawโ€ GM would have to buy the truck back if they canโ€™t resolve the problem.

IF it is a problem. Just because he does not like the shift algorithms does not make a lemon claim. The article is severely lacking in facts on the issues other a noise he finds objectionable upon shifts.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
same thing happened here before we hit the road for AZ at the local dodge garage. New truck was painted like lemons and the folks were serving lemonade it looked like. It lasted a couple days or more. Nothing is perfect .

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes a man has to do, what a man has to do... And it looks like he got results.

Atta Boy...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"