cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New ride!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got it yesterday....sold my Jeep & bought a muscle truck. 1995 Dakota, regular cab, shortbed, 2WD...with V8 power. ๐Ÿ™‚ Solid frame & body, just needs front brakes.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion
56 REPLIES 56

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
UH OH!!!!....... how did that happen? :E
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
OK after 2 1/2 hours of searching Google reading anything creditable I finally found on a Dakota forum this. "Dakotas were/are all made at Warren Truck(Dodge City) Plant in Michigan---BUT some 1993-1996 Dakotas were built at a jeep plant on Toledo OH.
11th digit of Vin: W Toledo,Oh
" LINK

However I find it odd that no where and I mean no where else can you find any reference that the Dakota was ever built in Toledo. Also I have talked to people that work at or have worked at the Stickney plant and no one said they built Dakota's. So if you care to post your vin showing a W as the eleventh digit I will be more then happy to admit I was wrong. But all the info I have points that I'm right.

I also find this strange, Digit 11: (Assembly plant) should always be S (Warren, MI) a different Dakota/Durango fan site. LINK

So who's right?

Don
So who's right?Stickney 1993-95

MM49

There now we have proof from a "reliable source" (as reliable as the Blade can be lol) and now I will say yep looks like they built the Dakota at the Jeep plant.

As I said I would do, I was wrong.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK after 2 1/2 hours of searching Google reading anything creditable I finally found on a Dakota forum this. "Dakotas were/are all made at Warren Truck(Dodge City) Plant in Michigan---BUT some 1993-1996 Dakotas were built at a jeep plant on Toledo OH.
" LINK

However I find it odd that no where and I mean no where else can you find any reference that the Dakota was ever built in Toledo. Also I have talked to people that work at or have worked at the Stickney plant and no one said they built Dakota's. So if you care to post your vin showing a W as the eleventh digit I will be more then happy to admit I was wrong. But all the info I have points that I'm right.

I also find this strange, Digit 11: (Assembly plant) should always be S (Warren, MI) a different Dakota/Durango fan site. LINK

So who's right?

Don

I have absolutely irrefutable proof: I have the truck's original window sticker! It lists final assembly as Toledo.
Current rig:

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
" LINK

So who's right?

Don
So who's right?Stickney 1993-95

MM49

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
" LINK

So who's right?

Don

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, Don: you name the amount and you name the odds! My offer yesterday is still valid.
Current rig:

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:

You really don't know what your talking about. "Stickney Road Development Center" The Dakota's ran right down the line righ between Wrangler's. Stickney Road is a manufacturing plant.
MM49

Try again, TNAP is an assembly plant not a manufacturing plant. There are supplier plants that build the bodies dashboards and other components that were not Chrysler plants. They are connected to the assemble plant via covered conveyor systems. Some have been bought by Chrysler do to their poor quality. But at the start all the plants other then the assembly plant itself were outside venders.

Funny that the Chrysler web site only shows the Dakota being built at WTAP and no where does it list the Dakota as being built at TNAP. Maybe you two should contact Chrysler and tell them they are wrong.

BTW drive by TNAP along I-75 south, the very last plant is an R&D facility. What they do there I don't know other then they did test primers and paint at one time. There used to be bodies sitting out side some in primer only others with paint. I never said the Dakota was built at the R&D plant just saying if it were that might have been where it was built. I can't find anyone that works or worked at Jeep that has said "yep we built the Dakota at TNAP" no one.

MM49

Don itโ€™s time to put your money where your mouth is. I'll hope enjoy the taste of your foot. You are quoting the status of the current plant, not the status of the plant 22 years ago. You are just plain wrong.
MM49

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:

You really don't know what your talking about. "Stickney Road Development Center" The Dakota's ran right down the line righ between Wrangler's. Stickney Road is a manufacturing plant.
MM49

Try again, TNAP is an assembly plant not a manufacturing plant. There are supplier plants that build the bodies dashboards and other components that were not Chrysler plants. They are connected to the assemble plant via covered conveyor systems. Some have been bought by Chrysler do to their poor quality. But at the start all the plants other then the assembly plant itself were outside venders.

Funny that the Chrysler web site only shows the Dakota being built at WTAP and no where does it list the Dakota as being built at TNAP. Maybe you two should contact Chrysler and tell them they are wrong.

BTW drive by TNAP along I-75 south, the very last plant is an R&D facility. What they do there I don't know other then they did test primers and paint at one time. There used to be bodies sitting out side some in primer only others with paint. I never said the Dakota was built at the R&D plant just saying if it were that might have been where it was built. I can't find anyone that works or worked at Jeep that has said "yep we built the Dakota at TNAP" no one.

Don

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Production of the Dakota was moved to the old Stickney Ave Plant in Toledo. I happened right after Dodge Truck Engineering was moved from Highland Park, Michigan to AMC headquarters on Plymouth Road. The new organization was called Jeep/Truck Engineering. The first model Dakota released by this group had a 5.2L with high flow exhaust an advanced cam angle gear set. It was hit of a national review which highlighted the Dakota smoldering the rear tires while doing doughnuts. The year was 1992.
MFM
MM49

I had a 1992 reg cab 2wd 5.2 that would out run about any Mustang and Camaro except a Z28. If your saying you got your hands on a test truck that does not count as a production truck. I have a buddy that has a factory Cummins F-350 badged and titled as a F-650 but it sure as hell is not a production truck!

So do tell what do you have.

Don

Right about that era the company Damn-Lire was using under contract to destroy vehicles were in fact selling some of them. Don't know how they got the vehicles titled but if you have one of them I wouldn't want to talk about it either. Kind of like my buddies F-350/650 Cummins.

Vehicles built at the Stickney Plant R&D Center were not production vehicles but if you got your hands one of those then I guess it would be Toledo built truck. Is this what you have?

MM49

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
He might still be up for that bet John!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a regular production Dakota, built in Toledo.
Current rig:

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Production of the Dakota was moved to the old Stickney Ave Plant in Toledo. I happened right after Dodge Truck Engineering was moved from Highland Park, Michigan to AMC headquarters on Plymouth Road. The new organization was called Jeep/Truck Engineering. The first model Dakota released by this group had a 5.2L with high flow exhaust an advanced cam angle gear set. It was hit of a national review which highlighted the Dakota smoldering the rear tires while doing doughnuts. The year was 1992.
MFM
MM49

I had a 1992 reg cab 2wd 5.2 that would out run about any Mustang and Camaro except a Z28. If your saying you got your hands on a test truck that does not count as a production truck. I have a buddy that has a factory Cummins F-350 badged and titled as a F-650 but it sure as hell is not a production truck!

So do tell what do you have.

Don

Right about that era the company Damn-Lire was using under contract to destroy vehicles were in fact selling some of them. Don't know how they got the vehicles titled but if you have one of them I wouldn't want to talk about it either. Kind of like my buddies F-350/650 Cummins.

Vehicles built at the Stickney Plant R&D Center were not production vehicles but if you got your hands one of those then I guess it would be Toledo built truck. Is this what you have?

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the cab. A buddy had a Dakota...maintained it well....bad rust bottom of cab.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
MFM
MM49