cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tires - too many options

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is like asking which truck manufacturer is the best but there are so many options in tires.

We have a 2017 Ford F-350 dually and the tires are all but gone with less than 22K miles on them. It's time to buy some new ones, but we are stymied by the amazing options available.

Any suggestions for new tires that will get some wear, will get used in the mountains in the snow, not too expensive, and will offer a decent ride in this big truck?
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW
72 REPLIES 72

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
The next tires I buy for my truck will be Sailuns unless I hear some bad reports about them.

Thats doubtful, considering the quality ,and reputation of the Sailun S637

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
YEP, let's all support the Communist Chinese every chance we get to save a few$$$.

These US Made Michelins are doing well at 30k with at least 1/3 towing 34-35k combined with a rear axle weight of 10,500#. 8/32" tread left all around. Rears stay where they are ALL the time, fronts side to side keeping rotation the SAME!!!

Its not about supporting the Chinese , its about the fact of not being held up for ransom on the outrageous prices of say the Goodyear G614 . There was a day we didn't have a "CHOICE", those days are gone . Goodyear needs to wake up .

Yes, it is also about the pocketbook, I want a quality product ,and will pay for it if necessary, but not in this case, there is not a need , and refuse to give nearly twice for a tire. I don't care where it is made.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
99k miles on any tire will never happen for us. Not a good feeling. Chevman

Me either... I couldn't imagine what a set of tires with 100k miles would look like.

Plus very hard to believe , especially out of a Michelin. They usually weather crack long before that, at least the ones I made the mistake of running .

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:

Me either... I couldn't imagine what a set of tires with 100k miles would look like.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
JTrac wrote:
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
That mileage seems very low for the tires to be worn out. I have 19500 on mine and have a lot of miles left. I did take mine to a shop that specializes in front end alignment as soon as I saw my right front tire showing signs of wear. This fellow lined my front end up based on my fiver weight. I am fortunate that I only use my pickup to pull my fiver. My Ford dealer told me nothing was off on the alignment but he was strictly going by Fords specs and did not consider the weight of the fiver.

I am having the same issue with my 17 dually with Michelin a/t's. Both of my front tires are wearing on the outside edges at 29K miles. I took it to a local alignment shop and they said it was within specs. They did mention it was not uncommon pulling a heavy weight but did not suggest changing anything on the alignment. I am going to have the fronts moved to the inside dual and put those tires on the front. Hopefully I can get some good mileage out of them as the back 4 tires are wearing very evenly.

not positive on the tire size on a Ford. My IHC, and 05 GM had 85 series tires all around. I put a wider, shorter % sidewall tire the same diam as the 85,s and the issue you descibe went away.

For the IHC, an 8R19.5 is equal to a 245-75 19.5,
The GM 215-85-16 I went with a 245-75-16 up front. Both also handled a lot better with the wider tire. Rears I did not have the spacing to go with the wider tire without rubbing the inside sidewalls with a load.

Marty

Marty,

I am sure that is one solution as well. My alignment guy discussed the same with me. However with so many miles left on my tires I went with the alignment solution.
JTrac,

What you may end up with is four tires wearing on the outside edges instead of just two. Since I have had mine realigned I have not noticed any more obvious wear. I think I will get many more miles out of them.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP, let's all support the Communist Chinese every chance we get to save a few$$$.

These US Made Michelins are doing well at 30k with at least 1/3 towing 34-35k combined with a rear axle weight of 10,500#. 8/32" tread left all around. Rears stay where they are ALL the time, fronts side to side keeping rotation the SAME!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Peg Leg wrote:
My 12 dually came with Michelins. Got 99,500 mi out of them. This was with 7 tire rotations at least 4 times and one alignment. I now have Firestones with <20,000. Will never buy another Firestone. Wear isn't the issue it's the ride.

WTF??? WHY buy another tire with such great results on the OE's???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
The next tires I buy for my truck will be Sailuns unless I hear some bad reports about them.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Thanks for all your posts.

DH and I have been looking at the Michelin Defenders and that is probably the way we will go. We've given the Saillun's a look, so we may even head that way. Looking into pricing, etc.

Anyways, thanks a bunch!

Yup, Sailuns's price ,reputation etc. Got a friend running them ,very happy with them. A few reporting on the Montana Forum running them. Will be more talk as time goes on, it was the same with the skeptics on the Sailun S637's ,and we can see where that ended up. Pretty popular tire now for the heavier fifth wheels.

Pushing Sailuns for one reason, the ridiculous price of their competitors, example the Goodyear G614, and arguably an inferior tire to the Sailun S637. The Sailun Terramax will be my next truck tire .

blt2ski
JTrac wrote:
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
That mileage seems very low for the tires to be worn out. I have 19500 on mine and have a lot of miles left. I did take mine to a shop that specializes in front end alignment as soon as I saw my right front tire showing signs of wear. This fellow lined my front end up based on my fiver weight. I am fortunate that I only use my pickup to pull my fiver. My Ford dealer told me nothing was off on the alignment but he was strictly going by Fords specs and did not consider the weight of the fiver.

I am having the same issue with my 17 dually with Michelin a/t's. Both of my front tires are wearing on the outside edges at 29K miles. I took it to a local alignment shop and they said it was within specs. They did mention it was not uncommon pulling a heavy weight but did not suggest changing anything on the alignment. I am going to have the fronts moved to the inside dual and put those tires on the front. Hopefully I can get some good mileage out of them as the back 4 tires are wearing very evenly.

not positive on the tire size on a Ford. My IHC, and 05 GM had 85 series tires all around. I put a wider, shorter % sidewall tire the same diam as the 85,s and the issue you descibe went away.

For the IHC, an 8R19.5 is equal to a 245-75 19.5,
The GM 215-85-16 I went with a 245-75-16 up front. Both also handled a lot better with the wider tire. Rears I did not have the spacing to go with the wider tire without rubbing the inside sidewalls with a load.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your posts.

DH and I have been looking at the Michelin Defenders and that is probably the way we will go. We've given the Saillun's a look, so we may even head that way. Looking into pricing, etc.

Anyways, thanks a bunch!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My 12 dually came with Michelins. Got 99,500 mi out of them. This was with 7 tire rotations at least 4 times and one alignment. I now have Firestones with <20,000. Will never buy another Firestone. Wear isn't the issue it's the ride.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
All of the laughter may be correctly spewed, but, the vehicle was new, the alignment should not be able to be questioned, and wearing out new radials in 22,000 miles is ridiculous.
YES, I would be screaming, My old Rams tires went 5 years and 70 k before I replaced them. And I would be trying to bring all the attention to the issue I could before I would just walk away from it.
Guess I'm just stubborn about accepting being screwed over.

Lot's of talk about alignment. First absolutely the alignment could be questioned and would likely be the predominant problem if the front only was wearing oddly.
The OP said "tires" not front tires, so guessing, perhaps incorrectly,that it is all 6 tires worn.
Eating front tires? I'd be at the dealer telling them to fix it. (Actually I'd probably just fix it myslef and save the hassle, but...)
Sure try a tire shop, see if you can get some goodwill there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold