cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New trailer heating options

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a 2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2205s the other weekend and finally took it out last weekend to Princess Creek Campground at Odell lake, Oregon. I cant say enough good stuff about this place.
After a three day stay, we found a few things that need addressed. One is the lack of leveling bubbles of any kind. I dunno if they forgot or what the deal was.
Heat! It has a fireplace (1500 watt electric) which doesn't do us much good when dry camping. No one wants to hear a generator all night (the trailer doesn't have one, but I brought one just in case).
One type 24 battery that lasted 24 hours. I'm looking for a premade box (maybe toolbox) that had hold two type 27 batteries, end to end.
So my big question is heating. Since this thing didnt come with a propane option, is there something that I can sit on the stove and let it vent out the stove vent or something along those lines? I think I can plumb new gas to whatever heater works.
Thanks for any help.

35 REPLIES 35

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
As stated if you use a mr. Buddy heater, make sure you have a co alarm, and crack a window for make up air.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
brainfarth wrote:
How did you charge your batteries?

Bobbo wrote:

I boondocked in Yellowstone for 2 weeks in September 2011. The temps at night were in the high 20's. I had two group 27 batteries. With the thermostat set at 65, I could go almost half the night. With the thermostat set on 50, I could do 2 nights.

At the time I had a Class C with an ONAN 4kw generator built in. Currently, I have a TT and carry a Honda 2kw generator.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
How did you charge your batteries?

Bobbo wrote:

I boondocked in Yellowstone for 2 weeks in September 2011. The temps at night were in the high 20's. I had two group 27 batteries. With the thermostat set at 65, I could go almost half the night. With the thermostat set on 50, I could do 2 nights.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You all realize the OP found the furnace in his camper, right?

No one cares if you redneck it with a buddy heater.
And using a buddy heater is a good way to turn a camper into a sauna! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage465 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I learned, the hard way, to set the furnace on 50 degrees at night, use a lot of quilts, and turn it up in the AM then get back in bed for 1/2 hour.

I am a real believer in the Buddy Heaters. Or a catalytic. they can take a lot of load off the 12v system. Even if you don't feel comfy running during sleepy time, they're real good in the A.M. when you get up and to warm up the coach prior to meemies(sleep).

Thanks, but I'm happy with my system. It works and I don't have to carry anything else.
Bobbo and Lin

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
The only downside for a Mr. Buddy type heater is that they put out a lot of moisture from the burning propane. Take precautions that you let the trailer "dry out" during the day.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
I learned, the hard way, to set the furnace on 50 degrees at night, use a lot of quilts, and turn it up in the AM then get back in bed for 1/2 hour.

I am a real believer in the Buddy Heaters. Or a catalytic. they can take a lot of load off the 12v system. Even if you don't feel comfy running during sleepy time, they're real good in the A.M. when you get up and to warm up the coach prior to meemies(sleep).
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing to do is buy some good down sleeping bags.
Then learn to take advantage of winter sun in your windows.
Then a Little Buddy Heater, but not when you are asleep.
Making coffee in the morning on the stove warms up the place.
The upper 20s is not cold.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bobbo and Lin

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a ton of options to keep warm in the winter. There is also a lot of fact and fiction confusion along with opinions that make up most of the discussions like this.
1. Fact. Factory installed furnaces do use a lot of energy off your 12v system.
2. Fact. If you have one 12v group 24/27 battery with no way to replenish it, you'll be cold pretty quick running your furnace.
3. Fact. A generator properly sized can keep that from happening.
4. Fact. I hate generators.
5. Opinion strongly supported by fact....I use my furnace to keep warm in mid teens to mid twenty's with nothing but solar to recharge my 4-6v golf cart batteries. So it can be done with solar.
6. Opinion. Either a Mr. Heater Buddy, Big Buddy or a Catalytic heater is a safe way to keep your coach warm during the day or at night. There are concerns with ventilation and carbon monoxide poisoning that some education and proper use needs to be followed. Keep a vent open to prevent oxygen depletion if using a Buddy or something like that. If a catalytic or Buddy type heater is to be used there is not a concern with carbon monoxide if it is working correctly. But you still always need a vent open for oxygen. Proper combustion from a correct working gas heater of this type will emit carbon dioxide and water. Many people are spooked by this(as is my bride), so it is best to go with you're comfortable with.
7. Opinion. Generally speaking you don't have to have the temp all the way up to seventy when you turn in for the night. Heat the coach up nice and toasty, turn the 'stat down to 55-60 degrees to keep tanks and lines from freezing and pile some blankets on the bed. You'll preserve your battery power that way.
8. Opinion. I use a Buddy heater during cold days and in the evening while we're in the coach to keep in warm til bed time, then off goes the Buddy and we set the 'stat to 50-60 degrees til first A.M. when we rise. Then I turn on the Buddy again.
8. I keep a generator if everything goes south with my plan, but it hasn't yet and I hope in 20 years my generator is still brand new.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
typical furnace draw is 8-12A DC, so a typical single 12V battery (75-100 ish AH) is good for 35-50A or so, arounce 3-6 hours of continous use,

Hint. do not run the furnace all night to keep the trailer warm. Use heavy blankets and turn it on in the AM. Less battery draw and you won't have furnace noise keeping you awake. On the OP size trailer, 1 hr of furnace in the AM will get the temp up pretty good on a cool morning.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the battery out and have trickle charged it for a week. My plan is to have it tested to see if needs warrantied.
I had to visit the trailer today and looked at the AC/Heat control and remembered asking if the AC fan (for ventilation, no cooling) ran on 12v and he informed me it was 110v. I dont remember him saying anything about the heat, looking back on that interaction. So maybe we both assumed it was an AC control and never looked at it twice since we were boondocking it.
They tech gave us a walk-around for an hour or so also, but he seems to have left a few things off the list. Curious, I looked up the 2511s and watched some of the video. It appears that we have alot of the same items, but the configuration is different. The knife holders behind the stove is news to me and the recycled water warmth indicator purpose. All the guy told us was it was for being green by recycling the water pressure.. way off. Also, we had to read manuals to figure out what the 110v variable controller was for.. The heated mattress.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Down the Avenue: **** computer missed the "6"

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Rockwood Mini-Lite. You have a furnace, which requires some power to run. I camp in spring in fall in the mountains and sometimes use a portable Little Buddy to take the chill off. In the West a lot of locations have sun. The sun heats the trailer during the day and it is closed up at night. Making coffee with a stove in the morning heats up the place.

Mostly I camp in the desert in the winter and use the same routine. Solar panels provide enough power for a furnace if you prefer. I never run heat at night while asleep.