cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New trailer purchase, Jayco Jay Flight 198RD

randrx2
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to purchase a Jay Flight Swift 198RD. It is 23' long (20' box, 3' hitch) with an UVW of 3820# and a GVW of 5900#. Dry hitch weight is 460#.

We plan to pull it with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L HO with sway bar installed. The specs for the Jeep are 3.73 axle ratio, 105.9" wheelbase, tow capacity 6500#, Power steering cooler, Transmission oil cooler. GCVW = 11,000#. Hitch weight capacity of Jeep is 750#. Curb weight of Jeep is 4356#. So adding fuel and people and cargo would probably bring to 5000# (2 people, 2 little dogs, crate, bikes, and various goodies). I have not weighed this Jeep yet.

We are figuring 32# propane (2-20# tanks) and 400# of water (48 gals) and 1000# of stuff. That brings the trailer to 5252#, about 80.8% of the Jeep's 6500# capacity.

Do you think this is a doable setup? We are looking at weight distribution hitches like the Hensley Arrow, or can we get by with something like a Reese Dual Cam? We will also install a good brake controller.

Thanks in advance.
When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."
7 REPLIES 7

randrx2
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
Leave the water out until you get where you're going, unless you plan on boondocking. That'll save you some weight.

We do boondock a lot, so having water is a must. Also, it is nice to have "just in case".
When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the water out until you get where you're going, unless you plan on boondocking. That'll save you some weight.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

randrx2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike Up.

Also, the payload rating on the vehicle states it is 5500#.

Based on the math, we may have to hold off or find something lighter.

Thank you all.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
randrx2 wrote:
We are looking to purchase a Jay Flight Swift 198RD. It is 23' long (20' box, 3' hitch) with an UVW of 3820# and a GVW of 5900#. Dry hitch weight is 460#.

We plan to pull it with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L HO with sway bar installed. The specs for the Jeep are 3.73 axle ratio, 105.9" wheelbase, tow capacity 6500#, Power steering cooler, Transmission oil cooler. GCVW = 11,000#. Hitch weight capacity of Jeep is 750#. Curb weight of Jeep is 4356#. So adding fuel and people and cargo would probably bring to 5000# (2 people, 2 little dogs, crate, bikes, and various goodies). I have not weighed this Jeep yet.

We are figuring 32# propane (2-20# tanks) and 400# of water (48 gals) and 1000# of stuff. That brings the trailer to 5252#, about 80.8% of the Jeep's 6500# capacity.

Do you think this is a doable setup? We are looking at weight distribution hitches like the Hensley Arrow, or can we get by with something like a Reese Dual Cam? We will also install a good brake controller.

Thanks in advance.

This was my last rig:

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD with 4.6L 3V V8 (292 HP/300#s torque) with 3.55 axle and new high 'ratio' 6 speed auto. Truck had a factory 'delivered' payload of 1218 lbs which included a heavy hard folding factory tonneau cover and side steps. The tow rating was 7000 lbs with a hitch rating of 730 lbs. This truck was a power house for a midsize especially with the torque the new 6 speed trans produced.

The trailer was a 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH. The trailer had a factory 'delivered' UVW of 3896 lbs which I loaded near 5100 lbs. The length was 22'5".

The truck pulled it very good but not as easy as my new 2012 Ford F150 Screw 4WD 5.0L pulls the newer 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH which is loaded around 6500 lbs. and is 29' long.

As with most Chrysler vehicles, the payload is their weak point so you'll have to make sure you won't overload your truck from the trailer's hitch weight and your family/gear. I didn't buy a Dodge Ram or newer Dakota because they "BOTH" had lower payload than my Sport trac did and would had been overloaded pulling the 19BH. Dodge's trucks are rated weak in their payload/suspensions so going to a 3/4 ton Ram was my only option if I wanted a Ram.

Next my Sport Trac had a great 131" wheelbase which equalled the fullsize Chevy Avalanche wheelbase. I wanted a truck with a good wheelbase to pull a midsize travel trailer as the 19BH. With only a 106" wheelbase, I'd be pretty leary about pulling anything over 20', bumper to hitch.

I see a full size truck in your future. 😄 Reason is that most manufactures have gone to weak unibody crossovers for their midsize segment forcing owners of travel trailers to go fullsize. I know, Jeeps are unibody vehicles, but they are made to tow with additional bracing built into their unibody chassis.

I think you are pushing the limits with that older Jeep, with power, payload, and wheelbase, when pulling that newer Swift.

BTW, the swifts aren't really lighter than the standard Jay Flights. They are only lighter by a few hundred lbs. because of smaller frames and less features, but the campers are basically the same otherwise.

Hope it works out for you.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you are in pretty good shape, but as Bruce asked, what is your payload? You can usually find this by looking at the tire placard on your Jeep. It will tell you how much total weight you can add to the Jeep in the form of passengers, cargo, hitch weight, etc.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

randrx2
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
What is the max hitch weight and payload of your Jeep?

Bruce

Hitch weight capacity of Jeep is 750#. I do not have the true tongue weight of the trailer yet.

Curb weight of Jeep is 4356#. So adding fuel and people and cargo would probably bring to 5000# (2 people, 2 little dogs, crate, bikes, and various goodies). I have not weighed this Jeep yet.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
What is the max hitch weight and payload of your Jeep?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers