cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New truck and TC.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Well after selling my Okanagan 811SL back in 2013 I think it was. Wish I had never gotten rid of it. But my wife wanted the 2012 Heartland Landmark Key Largo. Now don't get me wrong, all the room is nice. But then again all that room in a pain at 41ft long.

So now she wants to go back to a TC. Talked her into a Host 2 slide or 3 slide. I only want it to be one with both sides into the bed.

So now who uses a Ram 3500 with the air bags from the factory with a Bigger Truck Camper? Also the one were looking at has the flip out steps under the rear bumper. I'm thinking these may have to come off? To give me room to mount the Camper tie downs?

Now I found a set of SS fast guns. I think at a good price. They look new and there asking $450. for the full set of 4.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Know there will be lots more questions on the 2021 Ram and the Host TC before I'm done. But Man I'm looking forward to being back in a Truck camper again.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
23 REPLIES 23

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I never did bedliner on my F350.
Even camper rub some paint on front wall at one time, I just got rattle can and touched it up. Factory bed mat is excelent.
Had root canal done last week.
Less than 1 hr in & out. The doctor work on me for about 1/2 hr and it was all painless
Still remember over 4 hr on the chair for previous root canal, when dentist still had film x-rays.

Our Dentists still use the film. Old man is about to retire. His son and his wife is taking over. There changing a lot of old stuff to new. So we may get the good stuff by the time I'm dead and gone.
Last Root Canal for me was only 45 minutes. Had 2 in my life, and ever been much to them. But then again I have had 3 filling done without any shots or anything. So pain is not bad for me 99% of the time. Unless its at a dealers lot.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I never did bedliner on my F350.
Even camper rub some paint on front wall at one time, I just got rattle can and touched it up. Factory bed mat is excelent.
Had root canal done last week.
Less than 1 hr in & out. The doctor work on me for about 1/2 hr and it was all painless
Still remember over 4 hr on the chair for previous root canal, when dentist still had film x-rays.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Camp woof wrote:
I have 2019 cummins 3500 dually, factory air, and bigfoot 10.4. Im a fulltimer and somehow loaded up to almost 14k pounds. I dont notice the air, i notice the shocks seem very overwhelmed on bumpy dirt roads when crawling along at 5mph. Careful, factory air will only take so much weight before it spits out a warning message, and im not sure what the computer will do at that point.

Thanks for the info.

Truck was ordered yesterday Sept 13th. Sure glad that is over, would rather have a root canal then mess with truck dealer. Funny part the one I went with. Had only been though emails until the deal was final. Then talked on the phone.
Now figure by spring time the truck should be here. No rush, as gives us more time to find the right camper. Plus if I'm in no rush the truck may get in a rush. Will be taking a trip to get the truck when its in. Also first time to buy a days ride from home. But local dealers all want full MSRP for even an ordered unit.

I did go with the a factory 50 gallon fuel tank. Standard Cummins and Trans. Almost loaded Big Horn in White. I did not get the spray in bed liner. Last 3 trucks, waited until I was ready to sell. Then new Bed spray in bed liner. So far never an issue with just a bed mat.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2019 cummins 3500 dually, factory air, and bigfoot 10.4. Im a fulltimer and somehow loaded up to almost 14k pounds. I dont notice the air, i notice the shocks seem very overwhelmed on bumpy dirt roads when crawling along at 5mph. Careful, factory air will only take so much weight before it spits out a warning message, and im not sure what the computer will do at that point.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Nice set of Fastguns you found. THose are the vintage style - the original design. I have them too. They are nicer than the new style.

Thanks it was hard to pass up this deal. Plus now we have the fast guns. Have to buy a Truck camper to go with them:W. He had a newer set for the same $$. But they were the painted one Felt these were the best deal for the price.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
I just bought a new 21 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 and am looking for a TC. I would love to find a Bigfoot 10.4 but nothing out there.
I was back and forth on the HO and 4:10 also and ended up with a non HO with the 68RFE Tradesman with upgraded radio, manual 4x4 shift, 5th wheel prep and 50 gal fuel tank. For my planned use I think this is the perfect truck.
I towed an 8k lb trailer to the Midwest and plenty of power and the 3:73 are great.
1750 rpm at 70 and 2000 at 80. 13 mpg if I stayed around 65 mph.
Empty at the same speed I’m getting around 16-18mpg.
I wound Not want the 4:10 in this truck and the 68 shifts a lot smoother than the Aisin.
LOVE the 50 gal tank, almost 900 miles not towing.
It does use more DEF than my 17. Towing 1600 miles and running empty for 2300 mi, I used about 8 gal.
Compared to my 04 HO with 4:10, this new truck rides like a Cadillac and much more power and comfort.

Sounds like your enjoying that truck. We may get ours ordered before the end of the month. Almost have it nailed down to what is a must have. Over what I would like to have.
Climate control for sure, shes cold I'm hot. Then I cold and shes hot. So Dual Climate is a must. 50 gallon tank for sure cheaper then putting one in after buying. Will get the full console also. Along with 5th wheel prep. Then bed lights also for the price I can't add them. Standard Trans = way more miles on the trans. Where the Asian you change fluid every 30K. 3.73 also for me.
Then ordering White and standard wheels. Like the polished wheels, but can buy pull offs and get what tires I want. Also Getting remote start for sure. Sad we get spoiled and have to have so much in a truck. Used to be get one with power windows and that's it. Also going with the Big Horn package. Keep trying to talk myself into the work truck. But I keep trucks around 10 years. So better add a few items I want. May not live to see a new truck again. If I could be that blessed.

Man I give out, we went fishing for 2 hours this morning. Wife and I caught around 60 lbs of catfish in 2 hours.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Nice set of Fastguns you found. THose are the vintage style - the original design. I have them too. They are nicer than the new style.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 21 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 and am looking for a TC. I would love to find a Bigfoot 10.4 but nothing out there.
I was back and forth on the HO and 4:10 also and ended up with a non HO with the 68RFE Tradesman with upgraded radio, manual 4x4 shift, 5th wheel prep and 50 gal fuel tank. For my planned use I think this is the perfect truck.
I towed an 8k lb trailer to the Midwest and plenty of power and the 3:73 are great.
1750 rpm at 70 and 2000 at 80. 13 mpg if I stayed around 65 mph.
Empty at the same speed I’m getting around 16-18mpg.
I wound Not want the 4:10 in this truck and the 68 shifts a lot smoother than the Aisin.
LOVE the 50 gal tank, almost 900 miles not towing.
It does use more DEF than my 17. Towing 1600 miles and running empty for 2300 mi, I used about 8 gal.
Compared to my 04 HO with 4:10, this new truck rides like a Cadillac and much more power and comfort.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they changed the transmission ration, go with the 4.10s. My father has the 2015 HO with 3.73s and find he needs to ride a bit on the faster side to keep the rpms up enough so it doesn't feel like he is lugging the engine. The 4.10s will also help with resell later to someone who wants it as a work truck. Fuel mileage is going to be about the same regardless of the ratio.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys I felt the factory air bags were not good for a TC. The truck were going to order. 14K and has a 5698 rating for the camper. Also glad I was thinking right on the back step. Good ideal, but sure not with TC frame mount tie downs.
Ordering a 2022 Ram 3500, 14,000 GVWR. HO 6.7 with 3.73 Axle Ratio. It will also have the 50 gallon fuel tank. Feel if I order the High Output cummins. That might make it sell better late on. But sure don't need the extra HP. Feel the 4.10 gears are just not worth it also. Even if I were pulling our 16K 5th wheel with it. Also ordering the tradesman package. Less comfort to go wrong with it then. Enough without all the rest to cause issue's.

As far as the camper, wish we could find someone with a Host to look at in person. I like the dual slide Aspen, but would not pass up a triple slide. Guess if we can't find one to see in person. Will do like we did in 06 or when ever it was. Bought the Okanagan 811SL without seeing one in person. Plus drove to Aurora Co to buy it. With taking a trip after picking it up. 1700 miles on that trip.
Also hauled the OK 811 on a crew cab short bed 2500 for years. I never had one minutes where it was an issue. This 3500 I feel will haul even the triple slide. Now a few years ago, different story. But Ram just keeping going up in Cargo cap and towing weights.
Boat is a 17ft 10inch War Eagle Crappie boat. Might weight 1400 lbs and can move it around by hand. Might tow the jeep with a tow bar, but don't think so.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome back to the TC fold! Those Hosts are nice but huge. Guess if you're downsizing from a 41' FW that'll ease the shock :B I haven't looked at RAMs since I bought mine in '08 but from what I hear their capacities have significantly increased. Will be interested in reading what folks have to say here although I'm happy with my "little" Bigfoot.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Bedlam
A large Host or Eagle Cap exceeds 3 tons. Like you posted, close to 2 tons for empty rear axle weight on a DRW. That leaves under 1000 lbs for tongue weight. If you tow a 4-ton trailer (like I do), you can easily have 800-1200 lbs tongue weight and that does not include the leverage of being 8' behind the axle. Mine applies 1000 lbs to the rear axle while not unloading the front axle weight due to my WDH setup.

This is why I don't suggest towing heavy behind a triple slide camper using a Class 3.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
Class 3 DRW trucks have 11k lb rated axles whether from AAM or Dana. Once you get into larger Dana/Splicer models, you get more. The F450 pickup is only Class 3 pickup running more capable axles similar to the chassis cabs.

From what I understand, the rear is at most 4K empty. That leaves 7K.

Are you thinking something different?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
Class 3 DRW trucks have 11k lb rated axles whether from AAM or Dana. Once you get into larger Dana/Splicer models, you get more. The F450 pickup is only Class 3 pickup running more capable axles similar to the chassis cabs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD