cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck: Differential Choice

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
If a 3.15 differential is rated to tow at my weight needs, is there a reason to get the 3.73 which tows even more? Will I notice a difference in towing between the two diffs if the lower one is rated above my needs?
22 REPLIES 22

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If getting something to tow anything significant, always go with the lower gear (numerically higher). The fuel savings is so insignificant, that it isn't worth it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Chad_Brooks
Explorer
Explorer
ynotTurbo, what rpm are you seeing at 70mph? We just traded for a 2016 Ram 3500 CTD 4X4 with the Aisin and 3.73 gears. I just picked it up yesterday and I am really impressed so far. It looks like we are around 1900 at 70mph in 6th and around 2200rpm at the same speed in 5th.
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins/Aisin 3.73 Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

2017 Landmark 365 Newport

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I always get as much gearing as possible. 4:10 is my only choice,,, but if I could not get that, I would have the 3:73's. I still get 16 mpg empty with my Ram. I get between 7-11 when towing my fiver. I honestly did not buy my truck for the fuel mileage. That is why I added a 50 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Good Grief 2! The Duramax usually (always?) comes with an Allison 1000 transmission that has a top gear of .61. With a diesel the Ford 140 transmission has a top gear of .67. So, an Allison with a 3.73 rear is functionally equivalent to a Ford with a 3.40. Ford offers 3.31 and 3.55--but, with with any "heavy" options Ford forces you into 3.55.

IMO the reason that ones sees so many 4x4 in tow vehicles is that one sees a lot of diesel engine tow vehicles. The heavy diesel engine kills the front to rear weight ratio giving pretty bad traction on slick surfaces. I rarely use 4x4 in my F-350, but I would not be without it.

To the OP--I still strongly recommend the 3.73 because peak torque for your engine is 2500 RPM and th3 3.73 will get you closer to that engine speed in a higher gear. However, the transmission will shift to whatever gear is necessary to achieve the HP necessary to do the work that you're trying to do. If you don't want the Max Tow package that will likely be stuck with the 3.73 ratio, then I suggest at least the 3.55 ratio.

Thanks for the technical advice. Appreciated.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Grief 2! The Duramax usually (always?) comes with an Allison 1000 transmission that has a top gear of .61. With a diesel the Ford 140 transmission has a top gear of .67. So, an Allison with a 3.73 rear is functionally equivalent to a Ford with a 3.40. Ford offers 3.31 and 3.55--but, with with any "heavy" options Ford forces you into 3.55.

IMO the reason that ones sees so many 4x4 in tow vehicles is that one sees a lot of diesel engine tow vehicles. The heavy diesel engine kills the front to rear weight ratio giving pretty bad traction on slick surfaces. I rarely use 4x4 in my F-350, but I would not be without it.

To the OP--I still strongly recommend the 3.73 because peak torque for your engine is 2500 RPM and th3 3.73 will get you closer to that engine speed in a higher gear. However, the transmission will shift to whatever gear is necessary to achieve the HP necessary to do the work that you're trying to do. If you don't want the Max Tow package that will likely be stuck with the 3.73 ratio, then I suggest at least the 3.55 ratio.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
I am old school... never considered a turbo V6 as a towing rig. Sorry.

in that case... 3.73 or ask for a 4.30

still No mention of weight or size.

my question.. Why are so many tow rigs using 4x4... you tow a trailer in marshes.

I haven't had 4x4 before, but lost a couple of months of boating to the drought because I could no longer launch with 4x2 when the water level dropped below the end of the launch ramps, but 4x4s could still launch. Drought, or no drought, 4x4 would give me peace of mind on steeper slimier launch ramps.

Also have experienced steep dirt roads with tight approaches in camp ground that had a lot of wheel slippage trying to tow out.

Other than that I'm not excited about getting 4x4.

The size is my 18 foot ski boat or my 25J Prowler 2003 (trailer is stored at campground so I can't be certain of weight right now). If I recall correctly the trailer is 5000 lbs dry weight.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting no mater the engine or transmission 3.15 seems ver tall. Now that the F150 comes with a 10 speed auto it might work there depending low the lower gears are in the transmission.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
With single rear wheels the Duramax only comes with a 3.73. There's got to be a reason for that...

Forget the single rear wheel part. Durmax = 3.73 period.

As for why the 4x4 trucks for towing? I can't afford a towing only truck. Mine has to haul firewood, drive in the snow, make it to muddy construction sites, and have some resale value when I'm done with it. Around here it's hard to give away a 2wd truck. I use my 4wd at least once a month.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I am old school... never considered a turbo V6 as a towing rig. Sorry.

in that case... 3.73 or ask for a 4.30

still No mention of weight or size.

my question.. Why are so many tow rigs using 4x4... you tow a trailer in marshes.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
With single rear wheels the Duramax only comes with a 3.73. There's got to be a reason for that...
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for 3.73.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
3.73. My 2000 and 2015 F350 diesels have 3.73 gears and I'm very happy with both.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good grief not enough information! Final ratio depends on the top gear ratio and tire size. In Ford land, options and final ratio are usually tied together. In an F-150 in past recent years the max tow package got you a 3.73 and a 3.73 got you a max tow package. In fact until I complained to Ford about it a few years ago, the only way you could get a max tow package in the on line build a truck tool was to first select a 3.73. Suggest the OP get the 3.73. Higher numeric ratios do not hurt gas mileage as much as it hurts diesel mileage.