cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie to Camping Trailers

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
First post on this particular forum; however, I have been posting elsewhere for years. After the death of my British Bride, I sold our 39' pusher and bought a small Forest River SALEM FSX 174BHLE travel trailer. I haven't pulled a small cmaper in 35 years so will most likely have a question or three. So far, I have pulled it ten miles...
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
4 REPLIES 4

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you are off to a good start then. Safe travels and enjoy
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the response. I have load levelers and a sway bar. I have been backing a 16 foot flatbed trailer and an 8 foot single axle trailer for years. Had more trouble with the small trailer.
Looking forward to getting on the road with this small rig.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with dcb's statement about shorter trailers turning quickly when backing up. However, I also back up with 10ft utility trailers so my 17 ft TT seems slow to turn. Just get out and practice, practice, practice.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum. I had one that size a couple of years ago. It towed very well with a E-2 weight distribution set up. The thing with shorter trailers is that they turn fairly fast when backing them. The secret is to get it to start to turn and then follow it around, don't keep your wheels turned sharp. Practice will help you with that. Have fun and enjoy the new trailer!
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM