cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News today of Ford's rumored 7.3 L gas engine

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Was at my dealership today and asked my sales advisor if he heard the rumors of the new 7.3 L v8 and he checked his sources while I waited and returned to say it's all bunk. No such engine is planned as far as any of them know. Either they're hopelessly out of touch with what the internet is saying, or they're being purposely tight lipped until it's official. I was hoping to have a pushrod engine in my future when ordering my next truck, but it appears it's all a hoax.

Thoughts?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH
26 REPLIES 26

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
Auto manufacturers are secretive. I suggest they wouldn’t even tell a dealer.

Ditto.

When new products are "in development", a dealer won't know about them.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
With all the variable valve timing tech out there, and cylinder deactivation, packaging is simply friendlier with a pushrod motor. All that tech requires more space between the cams and valves, which requires much bigger valve covers on overhead motors, but can take up otherwise unused space in the valley of the pushrod motor. Also, variable valve actuators mean variable cam actuators can go away, and dual overhead cams aren't really needed anymore. Lastly, direct injection further improves cylinder management, making valve timing a little less critical.

FWIW - in the 2000s most of the European heavy diesel engine makers started making overhead cam diesel engines, to better control combustion cycles. As soon as High pressure fuel injection came into the scene, the overhead cam designs were made immediately obsolete, since injection control works even better.

And Groover is correct that lower operating RPMs is a new objective. It helps MDTs meet the new greenhouse gas emissions limits. That same standard is why the current 3-valve V10 was re-cammed and now has less peak HP, but more HP down low, and a lower overall operating RPM range.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
As someone who just ponied up for cam phasers, chains, guides, tentioner and solenoids, I can tell you for certain push rods will be fine with me. I grew up on an FE block 390 in a Fairlane which made beastly torque. Plenty of magic left to be had in pushrods, without all the other valve train weight and expense. Seems dinosaurs shouldn't be extinct after all.

I think both Dodge and GM have shown that pushrod engines still have plenty of potential.

I kind of wish Ford had gone the same way as them with continuing to develop the pushrod engine.

I never cared for the 2 and 3 valve versions of the mod motors.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
hone eagle wrote:
If it is a push rod engine ,the reason most likely is packaging ,it will be used in motorhomes not just pick ups and it makes the doghouse smaller

That plus I believe that this is meant to be a relatively low RPM truck engine. The over head cams seem to help more at higher RPMs. I can't find it now but I saw a video a few weeks ago showing almost a ramp in the head design to add a lot swirl to the incoming air to get better fuel mixture for cleaner and more efficient burning. This could not be done with a four valve engine, hence the two valve design.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a push rod engine ,the reason most likely is packaging ,it will be used in motorhomes not just pick ups and it makes the doghouse smaller
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who just ponied up for cam phasers, chains, guides, tentioner and solenoids, I can tell you for certain push rods will be fine with me. I grew up on an FE block 390 in a Fairlane which made beastly torque. Plenty of magic left to be had in pushrods, without all the other valve train weight and expense. Seems dinosaurs shouldn't be extinct after all.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Mosseater wrote:
I was hoping to have a pushrod engine in my future when ordering my next truck, but it appears it's all a hoax.

That statement had me questioning my sanity, wondering why on earth Ford would seemingly go backwards in technology after making OHC truck engines for over 20 years. A little research, and it makes more sense- a 7.3 liter OHC engine would be physically massive and challenging to fit in a truck. I think something is coming, so don't worry. The Triton V10 is getting long in the tooth and the 6.2 V8 apparently doesn't have the duty-cycle durability that Ford wants. This is evidenced by the fact that the 6.2 has a GCWR of 4000 lbs less than the V10 in the same application (E450), despite having more horsepower. So, it just makes sense for Ford to build a new big gas engine and I think we'll see it soon.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
harmanrk wrote:
You started this thread asking for thoughts. As was stated by myself and Hone Eagle (Who's location is Essex ON, the County that Windsor Engine plant is in), there is a lot is equipment going into that building to make this new engine. Your dealer my not be aware of it, but there is plenty of information that has gotten out, that a new engine is being built to replace the 6.8 V10. I love how everyone just assumes it will be in the 250 and 350 as well, replacing the 6.2.

As you have noted, with large companies, any project can be canceled at any time, and it is true that Ford may change direction and stop all work on this new line tomorrow. but as of today, all indications are that in 2020 there will be a 7.x (7.3 seems to be the going thought) engine is large Ford trucks. (Those where the v10 is currently an option)

I remember reading GM had a engine plant in New York all set up to produce the baby Dmax engine for the half ton trucks. That plant never produced a production engine because of high diesel fuel prices and perhaps the bailout topic.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Oh and mosseater nice job on my Volvo ,you and your fellow workers did good - 900,000 and still pulling.
still quiet and tight.
thumbs up

Glad to hear, but I work at the Reman Center, so had little to do with your ownership success.

At least, so far, lol.

We are mainly a Mack components facility. After we got our Volvo engine line up and running, they (in their infinite Swedish wisdom) saw fit to remove it entirely to Charlotte, where they had nothing but headaches. Case in point about corporate "logic".
Sunset Creek 298 BH

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and mosseater nice job on my Volvo ,you and your fellow workers did good - 900,000 and still pulling.
still quiet and tight.
thumbs up
Newmar 34rsks 2008

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I used to work in that building - eons ago- I have seen ,351 change to 400, to 3.8V6, to mod motors. Every one got built once the machinery was in place, not to say it cant happen but with government money they will stipulate a minimum run period (a year or more at one shift) ,then 'temporary' layoffs that never end.
Seen that too.
What to watch for is 2nd shift, if that happens they are off and running
Newmar 34rsks 2008

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
You started this thread asking for thoughts. As was stated by myself and Hone Eagle (Who's location is Essex ON, the County that Windsor Engine plant is in), there is a lot is equipment going into that building to make this new engine. Your dealer my not be aware of it, but there is plenty of information that has gotten out, that a new engine is being built to replace the 6.8 V10. I love how everyone just assumes it will be in the 250 and 350 as well, replacing the 6.2.

As you have noted, with large companies, any project can be canceled at any time, and it is true that Ford may change direction and stop all work on this new line tomorrow. but as of today, all indications are that in 2020 there will be a 7.x (7.3 seems to be the going thought) engine is large Ford trucks. (Those where the v10 is currently an option)
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I won't tell you anything other than the info I know, but I can tell you this. I am a UAW member working for Mack Trucks/Volvo and prior to the shenanigans I see daily, I worked in a large regional bakery comprised of several mfg'ing plants, and several of these plants were upgraded with building improvements, equip, lighting, paint, systems, etc. And then unceremoniously. .....CLOSED! The inner workings of corporate "logic" still mystify me daily, so you can maybe understand how your suppositions on equipment moving into a given location carry little weight with me as an indicator that something is actually going to happen. I mean no offense regarding your comment, just that Ive seen some gross misallocations of time, money, and resources first hand. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just how big business runs.

Sorry, missed the reply with quote button. This was addressing Hone Eagles post.
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. Will do.
Sunset Creek 298 BH