cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nissan for a tow vehicle

The_Works
Explorer
Explorer
We recently came off the road from 7 years of full timing and we are down sizing both truck and camper. I need to down size my one ton dually silverado to something that can tow a 7900 gvwr grand design. Im looking at a 2018 Nissan Titan SV crew cab. Ive always a chevy so I dont know much about any other type of tow vehicle. I have read the Nissan has had transmission, drivetrain issues and other issues. Im asking some of the Nissan owners have they experienced any major issues with their Nissan. Would you buy another Nissan and would you recommend a Nissan to a friend. Thanks for you thoughts and input.
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gotta guess, the OP must be looking at the perceived โ€œvalueโ€ of lower resale on used Nissans.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
Nissan has really struggled with their fullsize half ton. When you look at how many they sell, it is surprising to me they keep at it. A friend of mine had the Cummins 5 liter when it first came out. He loved the interior, not so impressed with the rest of it. He didn't keep it very long. Resale is brutal on these, took a butt kicking when he traded it. I think you could pick any other half ton and end up happier in the end.

x2

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Nissan has really struggled with their fullsize half ton. When you look at how many they sell, it is surprising to me they keep at it. A friend of mine had the Cummins 5 liter when it first came out. He loved the interior, not so impressed with the rest of it. He didn't keep it very long. Resale is brutal on these, took a butt kicking when he traded it. I think you could pick any other half ton and end up happier in the end.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Definitely an option for some, but basically an expensive non-starter for the non DIY owner.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your Chevrolet dually doesnโ€™t have too many miles why not install a flatbed and install single wheels in the rear?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have a parking or other constraint, your best bet is to keep the dually.
At 7900, your new trailer is pretty much out of the 1/2 ton range...(yes I know there are a few that can do it. But they are rare and expensive, even pre Covid) So I do not see a point in taking a bath just to step down to a 3/4-1 ton SRW.
Your dually will make a superb TV for that trailer, and since you already own it...The cost is not an issue. It will take a long time to make up the cost of changing vehicles with the small fuel savings you would get.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I am just curious. You say that you have read about Nissan having transmission, drivetrain, and other issues....so why are you looking at a Nissan, especially a used one out of warranty.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
While I think they're decent trucks, I don't believe they're the best out there in newer vintage half tons. Actually bottom of the pack on most accounts. But no experience with the newer ones. Saw quite a few unexpected issues in the older Titans, but unsure what has changed.
Personally, unless the dually was going to be put into daily driver mode in the city, I'd stick with what you got for towing.
Especially since your new trailer is on the bigger end of half ton towable TTs.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Although the Titan is a strong tower, the 5.6 engine is the worse gas guzzler in the 1/2 ton market. And the payload capacities are among the lowest. Finally they have the oldest technology of the 1/2 tons.
I have a friend who owned one and it got terrible gas mileage. He was always complaining about it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
that is a lot for a Titan in my opinion. I towed lots of miles with a 2006 Titan and a 6,000 lbs. scaled weight trailer...I wouldn't want to go much heavier.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Steven68502
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 6100 lb trailer for five years with a 2015 Nissan Titan Pro4x that a payload capacity of 1658 lbs. . It was a very stable platform although the 5 speed transmission made it feel underpowered in hilly or strong headwind conditions. But when we decided to upgrade to a 2600RB by Grand Design I knew the Titan would struggle mainly do to payload. Our trailerโ€™s tongue weight is 1050 lbs ready to go camping. I think the brochure lists it at 550 or so pounds. Never had a problem with either the 2006 or the 2015 Titans I had as far as reliability. They were both very nice riding vehicles. I know the 2nd generation were updated with more power. But I have read a lot of 2017 and 2018 Titan engines having to be replaced.
2021 GD Imagine 2600RB
2020 F250 XLT 7.3
Previous 2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Previous 2015 Nissan Titan Pro4x