cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nissan Pathfinder V8 and Toy Hauler

Nascar24
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing for many years but always trying to get some good information, hopefully first hand if possible

I have towed with more than enough truck always 3/4 ton or 1 ton with Big Blocks or Diesels engines and except with one over sized trailer , they were all a pleasure.

I recently sold my last diesel truck and 33' toy hauler. I opted to go to a more civilized daily driver a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder 5.6 L V8 and would like recommendations for a Toy Hauler? I 'm leaning towards a Grey Wolf 22R by Forest River weights in at 4800lbs and 28' long, not sure if it would be too much for the Pathfinder. The tow capacity for the Pathfinder is 7000lbs.

Thanks in advance
Good Luck and Happy Trails
2008 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 V8
2014 Grey Wolf 19RR Toy Hauler
Nascar24 A lengend in my own mind, A Scary thought in someone else's!
14 REPLIES 14

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Nascar24 wrote:
Just an update I purchased a Grey Wolf 19RR 4180 lbs dry, 580 lb tongue weight, two trips under my belt and seems to be a good match. I did install a set of airlift air bags for the next trip.

A scary combination.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Nascar24
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update I purchased a Grey Wolf 19RR 4180 lbs dry, 580 lb tongue weight, two trips under my belt and seems to be a good match. I did install a set of airlift air bags for the next trip.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same generation Pathfinder with the V6. The tongue weight rating is low on these at 600 lbs for the V6 and 700 lbs for the V8. Even 700 lbs is to low for most 5000 lbs loaded 22' bumper to hitch TTs that aren't toy haulers.

My previous 22.5' Jayco Jay Flight 19BH TT would had been border line for that V8 Pathfinder and it weighed 3900 lbs dry and about 5000 lbs loaded. I pulled it with a 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 4.6L 3 Valve V8. It had a 1218 lbs payload with the hard tonneau cover or 1288 lbs without it. Hitch was rated at 730 lbs. We were right at the limits on payload and hitch weight. Your much heavier toy hauler will be way over your Pathfinder limits.

The Pathfinder's suspension sucks as I find it hard to believe it's axle rating when my bumper was dragging pulling a pop up without a WDH hitch.

Today, the 1/2 ton trucks are not much better than for grocery getting unless you do your research to find one that's optioned for work as well as commuting and playing.

The F150s with the Ecoboost are the easiest to find but you still have to make sure the new generation doesn't have the tiny 23 gallon gas tank and has the 36 gallon tank, and has an axle ratio that allows you to pull more than a boat.

Makers are delivering 1/2 ton trucks to dealers with options only suitable for grocery getting and maybe small boat hauling. The 1/2 ton trucks today are only about as capable as the midsize trucks were about 8 years ago unless you find the rare, work related, optioned truck. I'm not talking pulling power but chassis and drive train capability.

Also watch out for the Pathfinders very short wheelbase which leads to trailer sway.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Nascar24 wrote:
My door jam sticker say 1186 lbs for the payload, so I am going to be re-evaluating the size of the TH definately downsizing 😞

maybe this one

Crossroads Altitude

Still too much tongue weight most likely. Toy Haulers are typically closer to 18% tongue weight when not hauling toys, so that they don't unload the tongue too much when you are hauling the toys.

PS - Brochure dry weights are garbage. Most trailers are loaded with "mandatory options" which are not included in the dry weights. Not to mention the optional options. My trailer has the factory weight sticker in the door frame. Start looking at those instead of brochure weights, then estimate tongue weight off that, at least until you can get it weighed. If you can't get info from the door sticker, going off GVWR is usually a more realistic number.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Nascar24
Explorer
Explorer
My door jam sticker say 1186 lbs for the payload, so I am going to be re-evaluating the size of the TH definately downsizing 😞

maybe this one

Crossroads Altitude

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Z71 Tahoe to pull a 23' Toyhauler. About 7K#. I does it okay but I'd rather have something bigger.

How much are you planning on towing? If its just a few hundred miles per year then you will be fine. If you want to go cross country you will probably end up destroying your pathfinder.

If not installed you will probably want to get a transmission oil cooler. And make sure you change the fluids often. And make sure your tires are rated at least as high as the vehicle and are properly inflated. You said you have experience towing but all these become more important when you are towing at the limit of the vehicle.

But as I said, for short trips you will be fine.
Big Brother is watching.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Short wheelbase, limited payload wouldnt have me pulling a TH with an SUV. Doesnt sound like fun towing
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Nascar24 wrote:
After a little more research I found on the Edmunds site the pay load specs for my 08 V8 Pathfinder is 1480 lbs, lot more than I would have thought, some 1/2 ton pick-ups don't have pay loads this high

No.

Look at the sticker inside the driver door. My 2012 V6 S (zero options base model) was around 1100 lbs, and verified by CAT scale. All Pathfinders in that generation had the same GVWR, and the suspension is terrible for towing heavy. You're hitch rating is 700 lbs, which you'll blow by too.

edit:

The trailer was ~4500 lbs. unloaded, and I had airbags preventing the truck from dragging on the ground. The experience was white knuckle for the 400 mile round trip.

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Every 2006+ vehicle in North America has this sticker with your as equipped payload posted on your driver's door or door jam. Note what it has where mine says 2051.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Nascar24
Explorer
Explorer
After a little more research I found on the Edmunds site the pay load specs for my 08 V8 Pathfinder is 1480 lbs, lot more than I would have thought, some 1/2 ton pick-ups don't have pay loads this high

Nascar24
Explorer
Explorer
i will more than likely install air bags and go with an equalizer brand
hitch.
i have a Harley that weighs in at 650lbs. I will be staying at full hook up campgrounds so won't be hauling, water, or firewood, rarely ever hauled with any of my tanks full or partially full for that matter. Like i said this is not my first towing experience, on my 6th travel trailer and I have towed with a few SUV's in the past with reasonably good experiences. I'm figuring the Pathfinder will allow me to have the ability to tow a 5000lb trailer with 1500lbs of gear plus a passenger or two in the car.

Total unloaded trailer weight on the Grey Wolf 22RR is 4871lbs and the tounge weight is 686lbs so I believe it is within the Pathfinders capacity.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
SUV's low payload capacity and soft suspension are NOT good for a toyhauler.
You need to worry more about the Nissan's payload capacity.

SUVs are notorious for having low payload capacities, compared to their towing capacities.

Mostly agree although I do find it humorous that my wife's crossover Pilot has more payload than many half tons at 1400 lbs. I don't think I'd try pulling a toy hauler with a Pathfinder tho. Those things tend to be pretty nose heavy and I bet it would exceed hitch and RAWR.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
SUV's low payload capacity and soft suspension are NOT good for a toyhauler.
You need to worry more about the Nissan's payload capacity.

SUVs are notorious for having low payload capacities, compared to their towing capacities.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of toys do you plan to take? With just long weekend RVing gear you will be 5500-6000 pounds. Then toys and fuel and riding gear and ???.

What are the receiver and payload limits for your Pathfinder? 6000 pounds of loaded RV trailer means 700-800 pounds of loaded TW, maybe more since it is a TH.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)