cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No power to seven pin connector on 2021 Ford F250.

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Went to connect power to my truck camper on my new 2021 Ford F250 and discovered I have no power to the connector. Looked for missing fuses, relays but none were missing and all tested good. Went to settings on the dash and set it to conventional trailer as there was no TC setting. Got in truck closed door , put foot on brake , cranked up, truck says no trailer detected . Tried manually using trailer brake controller and truck says no trailer detected. What am I missing?
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
6 REPLIES 6

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Americamper wrote:
Update, I removed the battery separator from inside the camper and tied the wires together and I now have lights. The truck still says trailer disconnected while I can hook up the utility trailer and it says trailer connected. But , I have lights .
I assume the truck has an integrated brake controller and the truck camper has no brakes is the reason for the error message. May need to disable the controller.

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Update, I removed the battery separator from inside the camper and tied the wires together and I now have lights. The truck still says trailer disconnected while I can hook up the utility trailer and it says trailer connected. But , I have lights .
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What do you mean by "no power?" Just the battery charge circuit, or everything as in you have no running lights no turn signals no stop lights?

Since a TC does not have electric brakes I wouldn't expect the truck to react any differently than it did when you tried to actuate the brakes. Not sure what the rationale was there?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
the Ford Trailer command center is looking for electric trailer brakes which TC's don't have. There have been work arounds posted. I think I remeber Etrailer selling a plug that does a work around for that too. You might consider doing a seperate bed plug and running a hot wire through a 40a relay straight from the battery like we do on Lance Campers to use a heavier gauge charging wire
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
On my GMC Yukon the power wire to the 7 pin was never connected from the factory. Was located under the master cylinder and was easy to connect to fuse box.
Got the info on youtube so you can probably search for your truck.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is the wiring of the TC is off. It’s fairly common to make a wiring error and then simply make the trailer/TC “match”. It works fine until you buy a vehicle where the wiring is “correct”. Then the TC/trailer has to be rewired.

You can buy a tester to plug in and see what it says.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member