cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO PROPANE FLOW IN THE VERY COLD

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We have been sitting in extreme coldness, for us, and the generator tries to run but fizzles. I started stove burners but when I try to start the generator the burner goes out. Also the furnace will not fire.

Is there a procedure to get the propane flowing? It has been sitting for over a month without being used.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.
20 REPLIES 20

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971,

Thanks for the info. I'll go thru the whole system and check for oil. We've been operating since 2005 with no problems, it's about time we go thru the propane stuff and clean and clear.

We all well and happy, we hope this finds you and yours the same. We are staying at home this year, looking after family matters. A big nor'easter is brewing an heading up the east coast, as I write this. The wood stove is glowing, we're hunkered down to watch a heavy snow storm. Cheers! skip
skipbee
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem it was the regulator BUT it was stopped up with a liquid that appeared to be oil happened twice even after a set of new tanks and new regulator. The regulator can be purchased at tractor supply and lots of convenient places about $10.00 but when you replace it try a air hose on the old one blowing it out backwards just to see what was in it if anything, the oil like liquid even got through the regulator on the tanks and had to also replace the regulator on the onan generator that one was about $40.00 I was in North Dakota and wyoming in November at 8 below no problem with propane system running stove generator and furnace good luck hope you and your wife are well
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
If you have shore power an electic heating pad/ blanket over the regulator/tanks might speed things up

I use the small heating pad method in-between the two tanks and it works perfect. Occasionally when we take the sleds down to Eureka we'll see -20 to -40 temps and the propane is not happy, but the heating pad takes care of that no problem. Of course though this is parked where we have a plug in.
One time we pulled in behind the lodge with my old Fleetwood Caribou and when I opened the first tank valve, liquid propane started dripping out at the stem...it was right around 40 below that night.
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler is right!!!the high demand with the cold temp is too much for a ¼” regulator, believe me ...in Alberta we know how the cold affects propane...you can carry it in a open pail at -44°F. With the draw that you require, your reg is behaving like a spray can with the nozzle open all the way....if frosts up!, if you require that much of a supply during cold weather you should get a reg with 3/8” or 1/2 “ fittings, this will eliminate the flow resistance...(the larger the whole the more the flow” don’t do it if you just need it for a short time though...cut down on the demand from one of the appliances.

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a couple of propane regulators go bad. I'd just replace the one you have now. I've had enough issues that I carry a spare.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem a few years ago while winter camping in temperatures down in the single digits. Here's an interesting article on ehow that gives a good explanation: cold affect on propane tanks
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
What a terrific resource we enjoy here. Thanks to all for helping me. Bobndot especially for all the research, effort,and the PM. We've had an ice storm that has crippled the mid-eastern electrical grid. We're back on line but many still are without power.

Our home generator kept us warm for a day, I've got an trouble light warming the propane locker at present.
Love to all,

skip
skipbee

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane boils/vaporizes at -44*. As the temperature drops, the liquid to vapor conversion slows. It can not keep up with a high demand appliance like a furnace or generator. It is not the regulator, the pressure in the tank drops below the usable point. Warm up the propane tank, and everything will return to normal.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Comeoutswingin
Explorer
Explorer
12V Cummins wrote:
Tanks recently filled? Could be over filled. Open up the 80% valve on the side of the tank and see if liquid vapor comes out.

This, and even if not over filled, when I lived full time in my travel trailer when I was 18 I would have to crack the purge valve for a little bit and bleed off some propane to get my lines un vapor locked.
2008 Dodge DRW 6.7, 255/80R17, StableLoads
2013 Host Cascade Dbl Slide

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have shore power an electic heating pad/ blanket over the regulator/tanks might speed things up
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
Tanks recently filled? Could be over filled. Open up the 80% valve on the side of the tank and see if liquid vapor comes out.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Skip, I've had the same problem when the temperature gets around -10*F. I've added a short piece of Easy Heat heat tape to the propane line between the front of the trailer and wrapped it around the regulator. Lucky for me the temps have been in the teens at night and I haven't even plugged in the heat tape yet. I'm hoping it solves the problem.

You are not alone!!!
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip, yes the regulator can freeze up . Warm it up as suggested . If that doesn't solve the problem , check the regulator to see if the diaphragm cracked or it may be a bad regulator.
To test a regulator, shut off the water heater (allow it to cool down a little) . Light the stove burner(s) then turn on the water heater . The stove burner flame should not drop down when the heater is fired up . If it does, you have a weak gas flow . \

more info : taken from another rvnet post....
" All of this is totally unnecessary. All that is necessary to relieve the pressure is to shut off the valve and open a burner on the stove. Why would you want to disconnect all of those fittings and then have to reconnect and leak check for something so basic?

it was taken from here : p.2

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27365931/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Skip, if you need more help, I can search more , if you're not able , Bob

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. The light bulb sounds like the best idea, A hair dryer around the propane, not so good. I'll try again tomorrow. We've had a long spell of single digits, freezing rain, snow, generally lousy weather for several weeks.
skipbee