cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Lite 8-11 on Order!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to find dry bath models of the 8-11. Finally negotiated a great deal on one yesterday. The dealer was able to make a last minute change to an existing order. Nice to get the exact options/colors we want in a relatively short time. The dealer gave us a great price on the camper, plus they're selling us all the Torklift tie-down equipment at cost with free installation.

Did find a good deal on an in-stock NL 8-11 dry bath at another dealer, but they wouldn't budge a cent on their list-priced Torklift accessories, not to mention their high labor rates for the install. Not sure why they thought maximizing profits on their accessories was more important than selling a $40k camper---strange business model---lol!

Anywhoser, already preppin' the truck. Gonna be installing some Timbrens tomorrow.

Yes, a very long drive to pick this puppy up, but we're confident it'll be worth it! We're counting on Northern Lite's reputation for quality, plus their lightweight, fiberglass construction to take some of the sting out of the premium you pay for these units. I, for one, am so looking forward to not dealing with all the loose trim, separating seams, and caulking that go along with maintaining a wood-based, rubber roof.
11 REPLIES 11

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
It’s not the bracket that gets gouged up, it’s the step. It drops into the bracket, then a set screw bites into the step to hold it. The step is aluminum and the set screw eats into it, unless you glue on something thin and durable like a coin.
Or just leave it off, it doesn’t really need it.

Some years ago I removed the two thumb screws never to be seen again. Not really a issue.

- Mark0.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
burningman wrote:
They’re better than anything else out there but you’ll still find plenty of little things to improve.
If yours has the big “porch” back bumper with the removeable step that’s held on with a couple set screws, the first order of business is to glue a couple dimes on for the set screws to bite against, rather than the relatively soft aluminum that the set screws will gouge up and eventually put big holes in.
Next is more non-slip in strategic places on the rear steps.
Everyone slips and falls off the things.
Thanks for the heads up. I saw an article where they replaced the steel bracket behind the removable step with aluminum brackets. I suppose it means less weight and cost, but apparently you’ve pointed out a functional downside. As for the “porch” steps, yup they do look slippery.

It’s not the bracket that gets gouged up, it’s the step. It drops into the bracket, then a set screw bites into the step to hold it. The step is aluminum and the set screw eats into it, unless you glue on something thin and durable like a coin.
Or just leave it off, it doesn’t really need it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoBull wrote:
Love our 2017 8.11 SE but ours is the wet bath. burningman mentioned the condensation but we have not experienced that issue at all and my guess is it is because we live in the rockies where the humidity is very low and that is where we use our camper.

You definitely got lucky to get your camper so quickly from the time you made your decision. Enjoy it!
Thanks! We made the deal just in time. I believe we were within a day or two of the Northern Lite deadline for making changes to the order.

We debated the wet/dry bath option a few days. There's a lot more wet bath 8-11's available. I believe some folks were a bit disappointed in the 8-11's dry bath because it really doesn't have the typical discrete areas for the shower, toilet, and sink, like most dry baths. We ended up going with the dry bath simply because it's possible for two people to use the shower/toilet at the same time (only in a pinch, of course--lol!).

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
The one thing that’s an issue about the fiberglass construction is condensation below the mattress if you’re ever somewhere cold and damp.
It’s enough of an issue that Northern Lite has started shipping their campers with a “Hypervent” pad under the bed... but those are marginally effective at best.

What works is a thing called the Froli bed system. It’s like $400.
Froli

The good thing is these WORK and make the bed more comfortable which is always great. It adds a few inches of mattress height but the Northern Lite has so much headroom in the bed it doesn’t matter.

If you don’t put this in, when you store the camper in winter it’s advisable to put something under the bed to allow airflow.
Gotta say, if I lifted up a mattress and saw those, I think my jaw would drop--lol! We live in the desert SW, so when we do store campers and trailers we have the opposite issue of trying to keep things humidified. Hopefully this won't be an issue for us.

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
Love our 2017 8.11 SE but ours is the wet bath. burningman mentioned the condensation but we have not experienced that issue at all and my guess is it is because we live in the rockies where the humidity is very low and that is where we use our camper.

You definitely got lucky to get your camper so quickly from the time you made your decision. Enjoy it!
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing that’s an issue about the fiberglass construction is condensation below the mattress if you’re ever somewhere cold and damp.
It’s enough of an issue that Northern Lite has started shipping their campers with a “Hypervent” pad under the bed... but those are marginally effective at best.

What works is a thing called the Froli bed system. It’s like $400.
Froli

The good thing is these WORK and make the bed more comfortable which is always great. It adds a few inches of mattress height but the Northern Lite has so much headroom in the bed it doesn’t matter.

If you don’t put this in, when you store the camper in winter it’s advisable to put something under the bed to allow airflow.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
They’re better than anything else out there but you’ll still find plenty of little things to improve.
If yours has the big “porch” back bumper with the removeable step that’s held on with a couple set screws, the first order of business is to glue a couple dimes on for the set screws to bite against, rather than the relatively soft aluminum that the set screws will gouge up and eventually put big holes in.
Thanks for the heads up. I saw an article where they replaced the steel bracket behind the removable step with aluminum brackets. I suppose it means less weight and cost, but apparently you’ve pointed out a functional downside. As for the “porch” steps, yup they do look slippery.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Days wrote:
You will love your Northern Lite 811, We have had no problems with our camper.
maxum1989 wrote:
That's the model I'm looking to upgrade to when I sell my current Northern lite. Yes, you will love not having to worry about corner sealant and regular roof maintenance, but they still require keeping am eye on all the windows and vents and things like that. Way easier to deal with overall though. Congrats. I'm jealous.
Thanks! We’ve owned a number of TT’s. Become tired of all the issues that wood construction seems to brings to the table. Felt like we spent more time dealing with separating trim, bowing walls, and roof issues than time enjoying our trips. When we made the decision to downsize to a camper, we couldn’t help but notice the same kind of construction on the campers we were looking at. When we discovered the fiberglass Northern Lite campers it was like a breathe of fresh air.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer

maxum1989
Explorer
Explorer
That's the model I'm looking to upgrade to when I sell my current Northern lite. Yes, you will love not having to worry about corner sealant and regular roof maintenance, but they still require keeping am eye on all the windows and vents and things like that. Way easier to deal with overall though. Congrats. I'm jealous.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will love your Northern Lite 811, We have had no problems with our camper.