cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off road 19.5" wheels and tires for 350/3500 SRW

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super singles seem like a good idea, but expensive and custom are 2 things that I like to avoid. Obviously 19.5" wheels are a way to maximize capacity but I need the ability to air down and drive in snow.

I'm considering 19.5" x 7.5" wheels that use a 265/R70 19.5 or 285/R70 19.5 tires. For example a Michelin XDE2+ or Hankook DH07. What are your thoughts and experience on running wider tires with an aggressive tread pattern on a 350/3500 SRW w a 3500 lb loaded, pop-up TC?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell
13 REPLIES 13

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
I was all of the way in popup territory (Four Wheel Camper) with a short bed pickup. Then, I took my wife shopping and that caused me to switch to a doubleslide hardside and change trucks. Eventually, I moved the double slide to my current truck a F450. I had the double slide on a SRW F350 for 8 1/2 years, and have had the same TC on my F450 for almost 6 1/2 years. Yep, 15 years with the same TC even though it’s been on two trucks.

You're 15+ years ahead of me. In July I'm putting a FWC Hawk on my soon to be beefed up Tundra to see what it's all about before going off the depend on a flatbed build.

TC's are big dollars per lineal foot so many years use is the way to go.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was all of the way in popup territory (Four Wheel Camper) with a short bed pickup. Then, I took my wife shopping and that caused me to switch to a doubleslide hardside and change trucks. Eventually, I moved the double slide to my current truck a F450. I had the double slide on a SRW F350 for 8 1/2 years, and have had the same TC on my F450 for almost 6 1/2 years. Yep, 15 years with the same TC even though it’s been on two trucks.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avid Fox wrote:
Sure is interesting the different "ideal" set ups for everyone. Personally, I really like a dry bath rig; but others see the perfect rig as a pop up with almost no fresh or gray tank capacity.

Glad there's something for everyone... And we don't have to agree. Only my wife and I have to agree.

I'm somewhere in the middle of a Project M and a triple slide. I spent years in the back of a pu w a cab high cap and a LPG mr heater with gallons of water dripping off the aluminum. I'm surprised I didn't die!

So I'm ready for some comfort, a place to stand up, be warm or cool. But the goal is still to be outside as much as possible.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I'm aware of the possibility of a flatbed being very heavy. I have spec'd out a Hillsboro 2000 7'x 8.5' with a couple storage boxes. It's not an industrial duty flatbed and therefore much lighter.

I looked at Project M over a year ago, but it seems too much like the old days sleeping in my pu under the camper shell. A better way to go light imho is a FWC shell model hawk or grandby. It's not heavy w permanently mounted equipment like stoves, heater , fridge, water tanks, etc so only what's needed is onboard for each trip. But it's notch up in comfort from the Project M.

Avid_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Sure is interesting the different "ideal" set ups for everyone. Personally, I really like a dry bath rig; but others see the perfect rig as a pop up with almost no fresh or gray tank capacity.

Glad there's something for everyone... And we don't have to agree. Only my wife and I have to agree.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing that some find is that flatbeds can weigh more than pickup beds ... something to consider. Personally, if I was going popup, I’d go simple. The bed area would be virtually the same and you aren’t going to have that much of a difference. Also, you could look at the newer Project M model from 4 wheel campers which is a completely different style.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
dp

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning on a Hallmark flatbed w lots of water capacity, and truck boxes so I can have plenty of useless stuff! The Hallmarks are quite a bit heavier than folks think when they read pop-up. Also figuring on towing a boat w 350 lbs tongue weight or utility trailer at times.

Avid_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Just how much gear are you expecting to bring along with your pop up TC???

A 350 series truck will likely be more than adequate with its standard trim.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, they have a different type of bead.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
19.5s can be ok in snow. Some are even Winter tires.

I would go with 4080 rated 18s instead that can be aired down. I’m assuming you are talking about SRW.

Yes SRW. Can any 19.5's be aired down? 4080 lbs would allow plenty of leeway on the rear axle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Now you’re down to a popup TC and wanting to use 19.5s under it?

Me no understand.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
19.5s can be ok in snow. Some are even Winter tires.

I would go with 4080 rated 18s instead that can be aired down. I’m assuming you are talking about SRW.