cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old RV's

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1985 truck camper in excellent condition. I have since changed RV mode to a travel trailer and contemplating what to do with the camper.
It will not fit any newer model pickups since they have raised the rail heights so blocking would be needed on the bed to clear the side rails.This would probably make it top-heavy.

I have seen some mounted on a trailer and this may be the only option.

Suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
zb39 wrote:
Funny, my 2000 arctic fox fit all my newer trucks. It was a great camper and it's still on the road. Love my Host.

HUGE difference between 1985 and 2000.

The 1985 model is still made to fit in the old "square body" style trucks.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
Funny, my 2000 arctic fox fit all my newer trucks. It was a great camper and it's still on the road. Love my Host.

My 9' 1996 Skyline TC will not set on the bed floor of a 2017 Ford F-250 due to the bedrail height.

My 1995 Lance, pictured above would not set on the bed floor of my 2011 Chevy 2500HD if the previous owner had not added the extra wood to the bottom of the camper.

I'm sure there is a year of camper and truck when all that changed.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

The previous owner added this to the bottom of my camper.
I'm sure it was for bedrail clearance.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless you lay planks across the tops of the bed rails, stand 55 gallon drums on top of that, and set the camper on top of the barrels, "top heavy" is not even a mild concern.

Like others have said, if you are considering selling it, it's not your problem. Of course people show up with no clue, but it's easier and more responsible to turn them away than try to shoehorn things just to get your money. The guy I bought my TC from turned away several that showed up with F150 shortbeds. While my Palomino B1500 is light enough for an F150 if you use a little creative bookkeeping it would snap in half on a short bed truck. Come to find out years later my TC is slightly banana-shaped as it is.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So you are planning on keeping the TC? Or are you trying to setup the TC to sell it?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Simply sell it...then it's not your problem.

Obviously, don't tell them it will fit on a 2022 just don't bring up the issue. If they are buying a 35yr old unit, it's readily obvious that it's not to current standards.

Of course, it's probably smaller and lighter than the modern multi-slide units so probably not a big deal to block it up a couple inches.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
No, there is no issues with "top heavy". Just put something there to raise up the camper. I had an 04 TC that would hit the rails of a 99 truck, but just put the board pieces that I used to support the TC when off the truck and put those in the bed to raise up the TC.
IF selling then just tell the buyer the height of the wings so they can have something in their bed, or you can provide that something for them.
TCs make the truck top heavy, there is no escaping this.

That's what I did...the 2x10s were given to me with the camper, I laid them on cement blox to support the camper when off the truck, put them in the truck to raise the camper, then I gave them to the guy who bought the camper.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
post it for sale and someone else will enjoy figuring it out.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

dedmiston
I'm moving this from General to TCs for better expertise.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
No, there is no issues with "top heavy". Just put something there to raise up the camper. I had an 04 TC that would hit the rails of a 99 truck, but just put the board pieces that I used to support the TC when off the truck and put those in the bed to raise up the TC.
IF selling then just tell the buyer the height of the wings so they can have something in their bed, or you can provide that something for them.
TCs make the truck top heavy, there is no escaping this.

Some people love the TC. I was glad to go back to a trailer as soon as I no longer needed to tow a trailer with it. Hook up is easy with a trailer and does not add all that wear onto the truck....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Build a platform to set it on, or sell it?
What type of suggestions were you envisioning?
Doubt it could possibly be more top heavy than many of the white whales produced since your vintage camper’s born on date.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had an 02 Lance and I used a pair of 2x10s in the bed to raise the camper and the 1-1/2" was all I needed to clear the box sides and shark fin antenna on the cab.