cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older model host campers

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone chime in on the build quality and or things to look out for on the older model dual slide host campers? Say 2002 to 2006.

Up until this point I have only ever owned long term, northern lites, and Kodiak k99's but over the last few trips we have come to realise that our family has out grown our k99 and are looking into slide campers. I'm not afraid of older campers, I have never owned anything newer than 1999. Haha

Thanks!
2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD
8 REPLIES 8

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve towed a few things including a travel trailer. Here’s a pic. There is slope to that space. That's why it looks so unlevel.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking at pictures of the 9.5 rainers, how far down does the rear over hang hang? Does it cover the hitch opening? And are you guys able to tow a trailer behind them at all?

1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

Plenty of room for trailer hook up

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL has a 2006 Yellowstone that still looks new. He has a garage and only uses it 2 weeks a year or less for hunting. He has the RV place service it and has had minor issues like the microwave and fridge but the structure/skin/roof/interior still look excellent.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
I still have an 06 Yellowstone double slide in addition to the new HOST 10.5' Cascade in my signature. I have not sold the old one yet. Emotional attachment I guess.

Slide Mechanisms are Powergear. Never an issue. Replaced refrigerator and heater. Always over that 12 years powered up and had it "ready to go".

I took my camper off the truck after every use (and I used it a lot) for over the 12 years of service. That is a lot of cycles on and off. Early on I never supported it on anything other than the jacks.

Put over 200K travel miles on it with many enjoyable and memorable trips. I also stored it outside in the weather. I had a leak in gutter area after about 9 years in spite of diligent efforts, repaired it and good to go.

I had some issues, some self imposed and some, I think due to the original aluminum fame design. HOST was an early leader in aluminum and double slides in truck campers. The frame design flexing when not supported off of the truck during slide operation coupled with the flexing due to the length of the camper and rear weight distribution, while traveling, were in my opinion early design deficiencies. However, static flexing and potential for slide binding were never an issue if the camper was on the truck or properly supported off of it.

My new Host camper's frame and structure is noticeably more ROBUST, especially off the truck than the older model.

I would recommend you put a support under the older unit when not on the truck because there will be more flexing of the frame otherwise.. I built a small table out of X'd sections of a single sheet of 3/4" plywood and carried it with me under the camper, in case I wanted to take the camper off when traveling. Easy to take flat pieces off truck bed and put under the camper when being removed.

I bought another HOST , so obviously I like the brand and their innovation.. You can check an older Yellowstone by looking at the lower front corner of the largest slide for evidence of filon cracking to check for prior flexing (frame cracking) issues.
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know why Host changed the slide mechism and design, but from visual inspection, I know
they did. I bought mine in 2006. There were quite a few changes in other manufacturer slides as well since that was new in the lifetime of slides.

Since you are in Canada and looking at slides, you might as well look at Snowriver and Citation of the same time period. There are a lot of brands in Western WA, but buying used it is kind of hit/miss if they are available.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Jim! its funny, I had just finished reading the interview you did about your truck and camper just before I made this thread.

So the slide mechanisms where upgraded in the later part of 05 you say? Is that just with host? or Across all makes? And the older versions where more prone to failure?

The fun part Im going to have looking for a host is that I'm from Canada, and I don't THINK they are sold here...at least not that I've ever seen. So I'll have to get at much info as I can before heading down south to find one...if you happen to know of any for sale let me know lol

1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look at those built in late 2005 and above. The designs of the slides and interior changed. For any TC with slide, look at the area of the walls near the slide and in each outside compartment. Damage can be caused by putting too much weight or other hard wear on either.

Otherwise, standard checks apply to look for water damage, appliances working, etc.

I have a 2006 double slide, and it has been fine with the exception of a failed Dometic AC. Not specific to a Host, but a failure nevertheless that is due to vibration and the tubing breaking.

If the TC has been stored outside, the awnings likely need replacement and the decals are probably about gone.