cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open trailer

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
I’m planning on a trip this summer maybe to Alaska. I would like to take my touring motorcycle (goldwing) to sight see on. My question is would you tow a motorcycle on a open utility trailer behind a Hosts Cascade? Concerned that rough roads and debris on Alaska roads could damaged the bike. I really don’t want to buy a enclosed trailer if not necessary. I put additional things on the trailer, bikes, storage boxes etc. thanks
28 REPLIES 28

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Faststreak wrote:
Behind my HOSTS CASCADE what estimate will towing a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer lower my miladge? I get between 11 and 12 with just the camper. You guys that motorcycle ride on a long trip to national parks and Alaska how often would you use the bike? Trying to decide if I should leave it at home

I agree that the trailer will add about half an mpg. As far as how often do we ride? If I bring the bike and trailer you can bet we will be riding every day {weather peermitting} and we select our destinations accordingly. It takes two easy, 6 hour days for us to go from Tucson to the southern Rockies of Colorado or northern New Mexico.

Once we arrive it's usually a 4 - 6-hour ride before returning to camp and all the comforts to be found there. It is amazing how much spectacular riding you can do using this strategy. After three or four days we move on to a new location, usually, just another 6-hour drive away and the cycle commences once again.... yep, life is good! :B

Another benefit to having the bike along is the ability to just gear up and run into town for any resupplies. I don't bring it to be a Toad which we have never needed but once in a while, it fills that role nicely. Towing the bike combines two of our favorite pastimes allowing us to enjoy the best of both.

Here is a shot taken last summer at the Canyon Point CG on the Mogollon Rim at 7,700':

:C

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Faststreak wrote:
Behind my HOSTS CASCADE what estimate will towing a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer lower my miladge? I get between 11 and 12 with just the camper. You guys that motorcycle ride on a long trip to national parks and Alaska how often would you use the bike? Trying to decide if I should leave it at home

Like Bedlam said, not much at all.
Hauling a big TC is like pulling a big arse trailer without a trailer. We pull a 6500lb boat behind the camper and about 1 mpg lower.
By itself, the boat or enclosed sled trailer get about the same mileage as hauling the camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MORSNOW wrote:
You can bring a nice enclosed trailer and bike up here and sell them both to pay for your trip. The markup on trailers and bikes here is CRAZY.

He's not lying. When we moved to AK I sold both trailers and our TC for a good profit before moving back to the lesser 48.
I lucked out and filled an empty conex with the toys that were heading back south though so didn't need any trailers and Conoco shipped back some equipment I had up there...lol.
On the flip side, quads and snomachines aren't really more expensive up there, so it made sense to take them back home.

Bedlam
Flats, I don’t see much more than a .5 mph difference. Mountains, up to 1.5 mph while towing 8k lbs in my 20x8.5 enclosed trailer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto on a lot of the other posts... enclosed trailer is what I'd recommend.

There's always a lot of sections of road re-construction, which are dirt/gravel.
Then there's inclement weather. Combine the two and the bike will get really messy.

Find a 6x12 used tandem axle trailer, use it, then sell it when you finish the trip.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bedlam
You’re better off with an enclosed trailer. I tow my sport tour Kawasaki Concours locally on a flat bed trailer but any distance in an enclosed one. I use a front wheel chock and four point tie down any time towing this bike.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
You can bring a nice enclosed trailer and bike up here and sell them both to pay for your trip. The markup on trailers and bikes here is CRAZY.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Or by the time you do that 10x off and on in a month, get 3 sheets of cheap plywood, a few 2x4s, small box of screws and even a can of paint and make a semi permanent 3 sided enclosure.

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
All you will have to do is:

-Get a moving blanket (or two) and drape them over the front of the bike.
-Get a Tarp and bungie cords and cover the bike (or buy a snazzy Bike Cover)

The moving blankets will act as a 'bullet proof' padding under the tarp (or cover). This should protect your bike from all but golf ball sized rocks (and if they are that big there are probably more problems going on).

I did this with my harley on the back of a small flat trailer. No problems after a 1900 mile trip...

Worth a shot.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a bike on a open trailer, once!!! Salt air & a 3 day monsoon plus the tarp blowing destroyed my bike,out in Montauk NY. Got a 7x12 dual axle enclosed that week when I got home. I carry my ol' 7.5 out board inside with lots of other "stuff", the jon boat on top,DW's bike and mine. 14 yrs. latter still a great choice. Only regret; everybody knows I have a pick-up,and trailer.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the open trailer you could use a Gatorhide on the wing.

clicky
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
If I already had an open motorcycle trailer, I would create a 4' high plywood surround just large enough to enclose the motorcycle. Then cut out the necessary holes to pass the tie downs through.
Currently Between RVs