cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion on half ton trucks

joedekock
Explorer
Explorer
Im at the point im looking at a new TV. I have done extensive research, poured through both biased and un-biased forums. Watched tons of YouTube videos on MPGs, tow tests, and known mechanical issues.

I would like some opinions from real owners of the trucks I am looking at. If you can speak to both, all the better!

Here is what I know already for myself:

- I love Toyota's. I have owned several cars, vans, and SUV's from Toyota and they are absolute tanks. They never have major mechanical issues, and for that matter they have never given me any trouble on small issues. I started looking at the Tundra, however, that things is one thirsty truck! In this day in age where a half ton truck can get 19-20 mpgs without really trying its hard for me to justify a truck that will get 5mpg less than that. So, for me, Toyota is out.

- I used to own a 2010 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. That truck was FUN to drive when it was empty. However, with my 6000 lb. 24' TT behind it that thing was highly unstable. The power was more than adequate, but I think it had weak link springs or something which made it a white knuckle drive with a trailer. (Yes I had weight distribution hitch & anti-sway). The MPG's in that truck were 12-14 for me. Im sure the new RAMs are better, but lastly... i have several friends that own Mopar vehicles of various kinds and they all have LOTS of little annoying issues that would drive me nuts. From washer fluid pumps, to fuel pumps, to HVAC dampers, etc... just annoying and time consuming stuff for vehicles under 5 years old. No Rams for me.

- I currently own a 2011 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 and 3.08 rear end (won't do that again). Love the truck, its super reliable, has never had an issue besides the HVAC blower fan which was easy and cheap to replace, and it tows our trailer amazingly! Its weaker than my RAM was for power, but it feels way more stable when towing.

So, I am down to a 2017 GM (Silverado or SIerra), or the F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. If you own a 2015-2017 model year of one of these trucks please share your experiences with it while towing your TT. We will also be upgrading our TT to a 30' 7800 lb. gross trailer in a year or two.

Only 10% of my driving at the most will be with the TT. The rest of the time its a kid hauler, a point A-B machine, or hauling light weight material for various DIY projects.

Things I like about the Ford from research:
- Power and Torque. It seems like F150 owners love that Ecoboost for its power and torque, especially while towing.
- Fuel Economy. Most 15-17 model year owners claim their Ecoboost is getting them 20mpg on average.
- Integrated Trailer Brake Controller on most models
- 12k towing capacity leaves plenty of room for upgraded trailer we hope to get in a year or two.
- Seems to have more technology.
- Overall exterior looks to me are cool. (I would want 20" wheels).
- Interior seems cheap. (Just opinions from unbiased folks online).

The things I like about the GM half ton line:
- I know how to work on GMs as I have owned GM's for 20 years. Its a comfort thing.
- The 5.3 motor has been around almost 20 years now. It is a proven motor that is very reliable.
- The 11k towing capacity leaves plenty of room for the upgraded trailer we want to get. (Need to get 3.44 rear end).
- I love the overall looks of the exterior and the interior of the Silverado's and Sierra's. Especially the Silverado High Country or LTZ line or the Sierra SLT line.
- MPGs are adequate at 17-18 averages from reports.

I am not looking for a blood bath or a war to break out. Just honest opinions. For me, in the half ton line it was always an easy decision. GM's won hands down with less mechanical issues, and overall power/torque. Now with the Ecoboost's capabilities, the Ford's have surpassed GM slightly in that arena plus in the MPGs. I owned the RAM for a hot minute before getting rid of it because it was so terrible at towing. But the price on it was too good to pass up.

What say you?
2019 Silverado 1500
2020 Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE
Me, Wife, 5 kids, and a Doodle
92 REPLIES 92

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
I have 2 3/4 ton diesel and wouldn't have a 1/2 ton. They are too wimpy, Fords are Aluminum and everything will dent them including boards in the bed. Too bad That when you buy one the 1st thing you have to do is buy a bedliner and brush guard and top of bed protection and put some real metal between the cab and bed. We rented a Toyota Tundra and the bed was pushed into the cab at 20k miles and I grabbed it and pulled it back.

I have been using a 2016 aluminum F150 commercially for nearly 2 years now and have not encountered any of those problems that you have listed. However, I have noticed that the scratches in the paint are not leading to corrosion. I have had a bed pushed into the cab but that was on my old 3/4 ton. From what I have seen until recently everyone use the same bed for all their full size pickups. Ford is putting a little heavier bed on the Super duty trucks now.

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Sierra SLT, 6.2l 8 speed with Max Tow pkg...rated to tow 11,700lbs. Payload at 1834. Pulling a 28ft TT about 7500 lbs loaded. went cross country thru the Rockies. 7000 miles plus. WDH and sway bar...heavy cross winds in South Dakota and Wyoming...maintained complete control. Climbing and descending 11000 ft mountains on cruise at 55-60...effortless.

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
joedekock wrote:
Im at the point im looking at a new TV. I have done extensive research, poured through both biased and un-biased forums. Watched tons of YouTube videos on MPGs, tow tests, and known mechanical issues.

I would like some opinions from real owners of the trucks I am looking at. If you can speak to both, all the better!

Here is what I know already for myself:

- I love Toyota's. I have owned several cars, vans, and SUV's from Toyota and they are absolute tanks. They never have major mechanical issues, and for that matter they have never given me any trouble on small issues. I started looking at the Tundra, however, that things is one thirsty truck! In this day in age where a half ton truck can get 19-20 mpgs without really trying its hard for me to justify a truck that will get 5mpg less than that. So, for me, Toyota is out.

- I used to own a 2010 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. That truck was FUN to drive when it was empty. However, with my 6000 lb. 24' TT behind it that thing was highly unstable. The power was more than adequate, but I think it had weak link springs or something which made it a white knuckle drive with a trailer. (Yes I had weight distribution hitch & anti-sway). The MPG's in that truck were 12-14 for me. Im sure the new RAMs are better, but lastly... i have several friends that own Mopar vehicles of various kinds and they all have LOTS of little annoying issues that would drive me nuts. From washer fluid pumps, to fuel pumps, to HVAC dampers, etc... just annoying and time consuming stuff for vehicles under 5 years old. No Rams for me.

- I currently own a 2011 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 and 3.08 rear end (won't do that again). Love the truck, its super reliable, has never had an issue besides the HVAC blower fan which was easy and cheap to replace, and it tows our trailer amazingly! Its weaker than my RAM was for power, but it feels way more stable when towing.

So, I am down to a 2017 GM (Silverado or SIerra), or the F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. If you own a 2015-2017 model year of one of these trucks please share your experiences with it while towing your TT. We will also be upgrading our TT to a 30' 7800 lb. gross trailer in a year or two.

Only 10% of my driving at the most will be with the TT. The rest of the time its a kid hauler, a point A-B machine, or hauling light weight material for various DIY projects.

Things I like about the Ford from research:
- Power and Torque. It seems like F150 owners love that Ecoboost for its power and torque, especially while towing.
- Fuel Economy. Most 15-17 model year owners claim their Ecoboost is getting them 20mpg on average.
- Integrated Trailer Brake Controller on most models
- 12k towing capacity leaves plenty of room for upgraded trailer we hope to get in a year or two.
- Seems to have more technology.
- Overall exterior looks to me are cool. (I would want 20" wheels).
- Interior seems cheap. (Just opinions from unbiased folks online).

The things I like about the GM half ton line:
- I know how to work on GMs as I have owned GM's for 20 years. Its a comfort thing.
- The 5.3 motor has been around almost 20 years now. It is a proven motor that is very reliable.
- The 11k towing capacity leaves plenty of room for the upgraded trailer we want to get. (Need to get 3.44 rear end).
- I love the overall looks of the exterior and the interior of the Silverado's and Sierra's. Especially the Silverado High Country or LTZ line or the Sierra SLT line.
- MPGs are adequate at 17-18 averages from reports.

I am not looking for a blood bath or a war to break out. Just honest opinions. For me, in the half ton line it was always an easy decision. GM's won hands down with less mechanical issues, and overall power/torque. Now with the Ecoboost's capabilities, the Ford's have surpassed GM slightly in that arena plus in the MPGs. I owned the RAM for a hot minute before getting rid of it because it was so terrible at towing. But the price on it was too good to pass up.

What say you?

2016 Sierra SLT, 6.2l 8 speed with Max Tow pkg...rated to tow 11,700lbs. Payload at 1834. Pulling a 28ft TT about 7500 lbs loaded. went cross country thru the Rockies. 7000 miles plus. WDH and sway bar...heavy cross winds in South Dakota and Wyoming...maintained complete control. Climbing and descending 11000 ft mountains on cruise at 55-60...effortless.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 3/4 ton diesel and wouldn't have a 1/2 ton. They are too wimpy, Fords are Aluminum and everything will dent them including boards in the bed. Too bad That when you buy one the 1st thing you have to do is buy a bedliner and brush guard and top of bed protection and put some real metal between the cab and bed. We rented a Toyota Tundra and the bed was pushed into the cab at 20k miles and I grabbed it and pulled it back.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
One usually will get far more value for their dollar in getting a 3/4 ton. A well spec'd 3/4 ton is usually in the same price range as a well spec'd 1/2 ton, yet the 3/4 ton will offer so much more.

My 2015 2500 double cab 6.5' bed, 6.0L L96 with 4.10, Z71, LT, snow plow prep, tow package with integrated brake controller, 5W/Gooseneck prep, with a Line-X bed liner, Auto Armor 7 yr paint protection package and rust prevention package, along with Raptor running boards, and I took it, brand new, off the lot for $38K. It has 13,500 lb tow rating, and 9500 lb GVWR, which if there are two people, full tank of fuel, and a couple hundred lb of tools in the back, there remains about 2400 lb of payload available. To even remotely approach that capability, one would have to spec out a 1/2 ton to such a degree that I seriously doubt they could drive it off the lot for under $45K, even in 2015. And it still would not have the capability of my 3/4 ton, and especially the capability of dealing with a trailer in 30 mph cross winds and other fun scenarios. There is lot of difference in structure, suspension, brakes, etc. That is why a 1500 is a Class 1 truck and the 2500 is a class 2 truck. And no matter how one tries with engines and such, a Class 1 is not going to be a Class 2.

I don't use my pickup as a daily driver. That is what my Cadillac is made for. I don't expect or demand my pickup to be the same in ride quality or comfort as my Cadillac. I know that many will buy a pickup trying to cover all the bases, but trying to make something fit both car and truck scenarios usually makes it not all that great for either scenario.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I'd go drive each of the big three in 3/4 ton and see which one feels and or drives best for you. A 3/4 ton will be a little taller but no wider so no difference in parking but they will be heavier with a better susp so the overall towing experience will be much better in my opinion.

X2

The physical size thing is the one that some people don't understand. Better is not always "Bigger". I have owned three very drivable and great towing GM 2500HD pickups.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go drive each of the big three in 3/4 ton and see which one feels and or drives best for you. A 3/4 ton will be a little taller but no wider so no difference in parking but they will be heavier with a better susp so the overall towing experience will be much better in my opinion.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
BenK wrote:
By the time the 'folks who insist only on a 'half ton', even though they should have a higher class TV...they have built or purchased an 'almost' 3/4 ton, but lesser class never the less and the 'ride quality' inches up to the next higher class...AKA 3/4 ton or more
When they put a 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 sp transmission in a 3/4 ton give me a call. Until then ......

Any of the current "big diesels" with their 6 speed transmissions would outperform that drivetrain both with respect to performance and fuel economy.
... And cost $9,000.00 more.

My truck was roughly $39,400 before tax and title approx 3 years ago. I could not have touched a 2015 F150 in a Crew Cab 6.5' bed configuration with the 3.5EB, 4wd, HD Payload/Max Tow and the various options my truck has for $30,400 at that time.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
BenK wrote:
By the time the 'folks who insist only on a 'half ton', even though they should have a higher class TV...they have built or purchased an 'almost' 3/4 ton, but lesser class never the less and the 'ride quality' inches up to the next higher class...AKA 3/4 ton or more
When they put a 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 sp transmission in a 3/4 ton give me a call. Until then ......

Any of the current "big diesels" with their 6 speed transmissions would outperform that drivetrain both with respect to performance and fuel economy.
... And cost $9,000.00 more.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I think BenK nailed it with duty cycle. The majority of heavy duty gas trucks are probably used for commercial purposes. Both the GM 6.0l and the Ford 6.2l are dang near bulletproof. I joke that it should be a F150,000 and F250,000, because that's probably how many miles you'll get out of them without any major problems.

But performance of the 3.5l sure sounds nice and I've only hit 100k miles once.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
BenK wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
yup...when they update the spec to allow usage in that higher class TV, will they finally offer that config

Until then, it is NOT offered in the next higher class TV. Just like the GM 6.2L gasser...regulated to the half ton market

Duty cycle...and very different between cars, half tons vs higher class TVs...

troubledwaters wrote:
BenK wrote:
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Thought this 'half ton' mentality would not surprise me much anymore, but this thread continues...

Main reason why the current 'half ton' marketing badge's are close to or even higher priced than the next higher class TV...AKA 3/4 ton (+8.6K GVWR)...but still not a higher class TV...just look at the RGAWR...not there yet...just to say they won't own a higher class TV, but a 'half ton' TV...

Lost to many is that all thinks designed/engineered is NOT for the good days out there where just about anything can tow anything...but...for the day Mr Murphy crosses your path (not just the other guy's path)...either you have the ability to manhandle the situation or not (mentally, experience and setup) spot on. No time to go back to the store for proper/bigger/etc or re-setup...

f150 specs-what do I need, page #4
That OP was running around in circles trying to find that 'fake half ton' via all of the advisers marketing badging...with over 14 F150's to choose from...my bet was that she had a 1 in 14 chance of finding or ordering the 'right one'...AKA Fake half ton...

BenK wrote:
Sure hope the OP gets it right...either buying used or ordering new...

With over a dozen different F150's (the one everyone suggesting is what I call 'The Fake Half Ton', but everyone is not clear on the order/model/trim/etc)

Am guessing chances (odds) of getting the right one a 1 in 14...which has a higher chance of getting the wrong one...

Or...get the next higher class truck...that will have more ratings (AKA margin) than The Fake Half Ton...IMHO...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...