Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on these Tires and Rims

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I don't often post but I sure do lurk!! Truck and camper listed in sig. I've weighed the unit and I only have a few 100# to spare on the rear tires. Not ideal. I have the stock tires on @ 3210# each. I was thinking of upgrading to Toyo's at 37xx# each but searching around, I found these tires used. I'm not up on my prices but these seem like a deal. What should I check? manufacture date? I'll see if I can bargain down a little. I don't often get tires and rim for sale in my area, especially for my specific truck.

Let me know what you guys think

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/calgary/set-of-4-vision-81-haulers-tires/1050513822?enableSearchNa...
Roamers of the back woods

2006 Ram Megacab SRW. 19.5" Visions
2010 Eagle Cap 850 - current
2005 2500 9.4 Bigfoot - sold
2000 Hawk Four Wheel Camper - sold
15 REPLIES 15

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Slymer wrote:
allygerry wrote:
I bought 4 new Vision wheels and 4 Sumitumo 245/70/19.5 including lug nuts and center caps mounted and balanced for 2200.00. Shop around for new ones. You should pay less than used wheels and tires from that ad. Might save enough in tires and wheels to come down across the border to pay for the fuel used. IMHO Gerry

I just got 19.5 Visions. 81A Heavy Haulers. Assuming you have the same, what do you torque the lug nuts at. Vision says 95 psi but others feel it should be around 160 psi.

The lug nut torque should be a spec from the truck not the wheel. On my Ram it is 125 ft lbs.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
allygerry wrote:
I bought 4 new Vision wheels and 4 Sumitumo 245/70/19.5 including lug nuts and center caps mounted and balanced for 2200.00. Shop around for new ones. You should pay less than used wheels and tires from that ad. Might save enough in tires and wheels to come down across the border to pay for the fuel used. IMHO Gerry

I just got 19.5 Visions. 81A Heavy Haulers. Assuming you have the same, what do you torque the lug nuts at. Vision says 95 psi but others feel it should be around 160 psi.

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice on this. I decided to pass on the tires. I didn't think the deal was there, plus the 225/70 tires just didn't have the weight carrying capacity that I desired when stepping up to a 19.5". I think I might try the a Nitto style tire with the 3750# rating and see what I think, it might just work fine for me. I don't put a ton of miles on, so it might just work for me.

I don't have to deal with some of the extreme heats some of you southerners have during the summers, so that should help too.

Thanks again.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Do your research on the Vision 19.5 rims. I seem to recall the rims were very wide, wider than 225 tires. I think that is why most folks are running 245 or 265 tires on Vision rims.

You should be able to find 3600 or 3700 pound tires that fit your existing rims.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
The price for the tires is a fair one as new the rims and tires would cost about $3500 USD. The question is whether to spend $2500 to get the 8800 lbs. of support at the rear wheels or to spend $800 to have 7500 lbs. of support with the Toyo/Nitto/BFG tires.

You gain 1100 lbs. with the tire only upgrade which is what I did for my truck. I sold the truck's factory tires that had 5,000 miles of use for $400 so my out of pocket for 4 Nitto Terra Grapler tires was less than $500.

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Wheels and tires from WWW.duallywheels4u.com located in Winter Haven Fl. He will even ship the wheels and tires to your location. I have no affiliation to this establishment except for being a satisfied customer. Good luck Gerry

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
allygerry wrote:

I would agree the price is high. I paid $1700 for my complete Vision/ Sumitomo set up used, but like new with just a couple thousand miles on them.
The guy I bought them from setup his Ram to haul a truck camper and then decided to go to a class a.

Who did you purchase your wheels and tires from? A dealer name might help the op out.

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
I found used 19.5 visions and 265x70 tires that were about 85%. I only had to pay $1400 which was a steal here in Alaska. That was 4 years ago, and I am still running them. They help tremendously with sway, but if you drive empty... They are rough. I have studded 16's that I run in the winter. And I have another set of tires if I am not going to use the camper for awhile, but we tend to be spur of the moment campers. So I havnt used those much, and so I usually leave the 19.5 s on.

Good luck! I love knowing that I can travel all over Alaska, and not worry about having marginal tires. I have traveled hundreds of miles on Alaska gravel roads and no issues loaded at 10,600 to 11,000 lbs.

Garry in Kodiak, Ak
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I went with the Visions and 245/70R19.5s rated at 4500 on my F350. fits the truck just fine

Plus aside from the load issues you mentions the 19.5 have way stiffer sidewalls than LT tires which eliminate most side to side sway issues
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. Initially, I thought all 19.5" rims were rated roughly the same (being 225, 245, 265) Little did I know that there was such weight index differences. A quick research shows that the 225/70 tire is rated for roughly 36xx# some are in the 39xx# range but not many. Seems like I'm not really gaining much, plus the roughly 50# weight penalty of the heavier rims and tires. It doesn't seem like I'm gaining anything above and beyond a regular Nitto type 285/70/17 126 style tire (I realize there are a couple other options, just simplifying)

So, in your opinion, What would you rather have near the weight limit - A 285/70/17 3750# on stock dodge ram rims of unknown weight capacity or visions with 225/70/19.5 with 36xx# capacity?

I have looked into crossing stateside for tires but right now the canadian dollar is killing me. we're at $0.80 to the greenback, plus 2-3% credit card exchange and the Canadian 5% GST hit. So I'm roughly looking at a 30% premium... Tough sell right now. I can easily wait until summer but this just happened to pop up.

I bet I can bargain the guy down but I'm not as wild about this deal anymore. I like the fact that 225's are the same size as stock but they don't seem ideal anymore.

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
..........Why waste all that $$$ when the regular factory tires and rims will carry every pound that the truck is rated for ? , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
If you do go used be sure and check the date of manufacture. I personally would not buy them if they were over three years old and would not run them beyond six.

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.
2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Vision 19.5 on my Ram but I went with the 245 tire, it clears with room to spare on my truck at stock height. I've heard that they sit a little more outriggered on the newer truck like yours.