cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our last camping trip.....

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Our last camping trip for the year was about a month ago. We hooked up and headed out to the campground about 25 miles away. I noticed the truck was a little slower starting than normal but didn't think anything about it until later. I pulled into the campground store and went inside to check in. I came back out and hit the ignition, just a click. I opened the hood and checked my terminals, all tight. About the time I closed the hood a park ranger drove by...I waved her down and asked if she had some jumper cables. A park worker pulled up in front of my truck in about a minute to jump me off. No problem...it cranked right up. I quickly went to our site, unhooked and then headed to Advance to get another battery. It was the original battery that came with the truck, 2007. After installing the new battery I thought, if I had gone back and unhooked the electrical connection to the trailer I might have had enough to crank the truck. My truck's lights are automatic when the ignition switch is turned, also the trailer lights came on putting more of a drag on the battery. Just thought I would put this out for anyone else who owns a Chevy like mine. Nothing like wanting to get to the campsite and having a dead battery to spoil the evening.
Mark
17 REPLIES 17

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
That's not a good way to start a camping trip, but look at the bright side, at least it was just the battery. How would you like to try to change out an alternator or starter on the ground at your campsite? (I've done it. No fun! )
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Just changed out the original battery in my 2006 Malibu. It still started OK but the heated seats came often when starting. If you have that problem, low voltage can confuse the control module for the seats.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
My son likes me to play a DVD in the 'burb while he is playing around it. I've run the 'burb battery down more than once. It only takes a minute for me to yank the trailer battery and set it on the ground in front of the truck. I hook up jumper cables, and she starts right up.

This is the backup plan for me that works.

INSPECTERBAKE
Explorer
Explorer
I had 170000 miles and 11 years on my 03 cummins and when I traded it the original batteries were still going strong.

aeblank
Explorer
Explorer
If your truck batteries are done and your camper batteries are good, you are *helping* your truck batteries with the camper.

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
You have to realize that on Chevys that if your plugged in to your trailer your are also connected to your house batteries, so if they are low and you have stuff on in your trailer, its pulling power from your truck...At least its that way on my year 2000 Silverado..

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Mark and Linda wrote:
Nothing like wanting to get to the campsite and having a dead battery to spoil the evening.

Now this is particularly cruel of your battery. It's not like you're stuck at home and can't get the truck started. NOOO you've sitting at the campground store and can't get the truck started to get to your site and start camping. I'll bet you could even see your site just beckoning to you as you sit there contemplating the situation. 🙂 Glad you got it started and it was just a dead battery in the end.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
9 years out of an OEM battery is mighty impressive, and very unusual.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it worked out for you in the end. Stuff like this is why i keep one of those chargable jumper packs in my truck. Seems alot of folks are in too big of a hurry to help jump someone off these days
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Mine had been starting good...the old pull of the trailer lights took it down quick. I knew that I had changed out a battery last year, thought it was the truck....it was our van. Old age creeping in...but I am glad that all worked out. I was looking forward that evening to just kicking back...not changing out a battery.
Mark

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed my battery out saturday morning, first cold morning of the season here in texas. Original battery, Been on the truck for 6 years.

Im sure i could have just put it on the charger and id be fine, but like the OP said, alot of trailer power draws on it and the last thing i want to deal with on one of my trips is a dead battery in the boonies.

Ended up getting a 900ca to replace the 600ca original. I should be good for a while!
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
If you had a genny you could use it to power a charger. I've done it.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nine years is a lot of time on an OEM starting battery, usually warranted for 24-36 months. Over the years I've learned that it is time to have the battery replaced, or at least tested, at first sign of it not being up for starting.

Problem is, most cars and trucks today start too easily most of the time, and you learn about problems only on hard start conditions (like colder weather). Some car dealers and service shops now do battery tests as part of the oil change/routine maintenance inspection service, because it can be a sales opportunity for an overpriced battery.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
The battery in my F250 V10 lasted 12 + years
samsontdog:o:W