Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoor Kitchen Door

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We recently purchased a new Outback travel trailer and pretty much hit the road right away for 2 weeks. So far we love it but I am curious to hear thoughts about an issue. During our inspection (when picking up the trailer) we and the techs noticed the outdoor kitchen door was warped and not closing correctly. The dealer ordered another one right away which I am scheduled to have installed, but the techs guess as to what happened was water. He said that the factory often does not drill enough drain holes in the bottom of the door (there are 3). That made me curious as to why water would even get in the door at all but he made it sound like it was a known issue and if drained properly it is fine. We looked close and there is no water issues in the kitchen itself, only in the door. The extra weight of the door then caused the mount for the strut to rip out of the wall while using it so that's another fix needed.

I am just curious if anyone is aware of this issue with other outdoor kitchens and if I should actually be drilling some more drain holes to avoid this happening again??

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco with the same problem. I brought it to their attention after the first rain that I owned the trailer. They indicated that there was no issue. The dealer did fill the bottom latch area with silicone caulk, as the water drained through the bottom latch. This keeps it from running inside the trailer, but holds it in the door. After rain, I open the door and let it drain.

I am not sure why they did not build a better hinge that would keep the water from entering the door.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cecilt wrote:
Just noticed my Outback outdoor kitchen door looks to have the beginnings of delamination on the inside. Noticed it this weekend. I to have 3 holes at the bottom of my door.

I have found a few folks on other sites with Jayco and Forrest River products with similar issues. I dont think mine has caused any leaks inside and hope it's only the door but dont know for sure. I will be dropping it at the dealer after labor day to have the new door installed.

Curious to keep hearing from others if they have heard about the "drain hole" thing.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed my Outback outdoor kitchen door looks to have the beginnings of delamination on the inside. Noticed it this weekend. I to have 3 holes at the bottom of my door.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Keystone Outback Sydney edition 5th wheel. When we bought it Had been leaking at the outdoor kitchen door frame. When the door was opened it had broke the seal at the door frame to sidewall caulk joint and leaked to the inside. I had to remove a section of floor and replace it and the flooring. Never had a problem after that but, I was always careful not to drop the door open and always watched the seal and recaulked when necessary. Yes the door had leaked too and made the door filler delaminate and look bubbly.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have an outdoor kitchen, but none of my cargo doors leak, and none of have drain holes in the bottom (or in 14+ plus years I have never seen them - which would be unlikely).

As far as the strut, from my observations and conversations with those with outside kitchen doors, the struts rip out of the wall frequently.