cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoors RV - Rubber Roof?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
As I'm window shopping the various brands and noting the pluses and minuses, one thing I couldn't find for this brand was the roofing material. I scanned through the owners manuals available on line and found a reference to two part rubber roof sealant (if needed/to prevent chalking). Aside from the chalking, I don't really have anything against rubber roofs.
I guess I'm just a little surprised that this "premium" brand would have one.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
5 REPLIES 5

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen fiberglass roofs crack. I've has a trailer with an aluminum roof and it leaked like a sieve.

Not all rubber roofs are made or installed equally. ORV uses a thicker membrane than others. I drag mine through the trees regularly, and walk on it, and it's never had the slightest bit of damage. My Jayco's roof was quite a bit more delicate...

Also, ORV sands the entire roof structure before installing the membrane, to ensure there's no high spots or burrs that could wear through. And they fully bond it. I wouldn't be worries about it in the slightest.

That said.... covering the trailer or using a UV inhibitor is very good advice. I cover mine whenever it's parked, as it also keeps the rain from being forced through seals and vents when its stormy.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:

I guess I'm just a little surprised that this "premium" brand would have one.

any RV that has a rubber roof is not a "PREMIUM" brand IMHO. it is usually difficult to determine roofing material in an ad.
bumpy

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Our FW, a higher end model, has a rubber roof. We checked into upgrading it by adding a lifetime roof material, but it adds a lot of weight.

The 2 materials I would consider being close to "lifetime" are aluminum and fiberglass. Both can fail, but done properly will last a VERY LONG TIME !

It is difficult to apply one continuous piece of aluminum roof. It will still require some number of fasteners to hold it down (hopefully stainless steel with rubber washer). Multiple piece will require a seal at the joint, preferably butyl tape. Long lasting edge hold downs are a must !

Fiberglass is labor intensive to install and multiple layers can make it heavy. All resin used with FRP break down with long term UV exposure. Typically they are painted, which of course must be occasionally renewed.

Flashing around roof protrusions are critical on any roof. Proper flashing does NOT require large amounts of caulk !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
A well cared for rubber roof, depending on the thickness can last anywhere from 12 to 25 years.

Pretty much any "rubber" material will degrade from long term UV (sun light) exposure.

For maximum life, store it under a hard roof or covered with a good tarp/RV cover. If those are not practical, was the roof a couple of times a year and apply a UV protectant. Yes, a couple of times a year !

At the same time check all caulking for drying/cracking.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Not surprising and not that rubber roofs are bad. Most towables have rubber roofs or similar material. Our FW, a higher end model, has a rubber roof. We checked into upgrading it by adding a lifetime roof material, but it adds a lot of weight. Not a bad thing, but you'd have to account for that and make sure your unit can handle it or the suspension. A well cared for rubber roof, depending on the thickness can last anywhere from 12 to 25 years.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton