cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Own a Jeep? Over 250K recalled for airbags/fire hazard

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Heads up! Another of the very many FCA problems and a very serious one too.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT
28 REPLIES 28

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
mich800 wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Travlingman,

Why did you have to try to educate the diehards of deception that linger on this forum? The way they spout off without knowing or having a hint of the facts constantly exposes them so clearly! It's a JEEP problem alone!!!

No it isn't.

My Chevy recall says:

"Takata Corporation ("Takata") has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists....The propellant in some types of Takata airbag inflators can degrade over time, especially after long term exposure in hot and humid regions. If the propellant degrades to a certain level, the inflators may rupture during deployment, causing serious or fatal injuries."

The Jeep recall I got from FCA does not mention Takata specifically, but sounds very familiar:

"The front passenger airbag inflator may rupture, due to excessive internal pressure, during normal airbag deployment events. This condition is more likely to occur if your vehicle has been exposed to high levels of absolute humidity for extended periods of time. An inflator rupture may result in...serious injury or death."

Travlingman posted a link. It is pretty clear this is not an airbag issue if you read it. This is a wiring problem.

You're kidding, right? You really think I'd type all that up if there was any question. http://chrysler.oemdtc.com/117/s43-nhtsa-16v-352-passenger-airbag-inflator-2004-2012-dodge-chrysler-...

That is not the same recall. So I am not sure what your point is.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It seems some forum members like to sweep the internet for issues other manuf. are having so they can make a post for trolling purposes. I seriously doubt they did that out of the goodness of their hearts especially when you get the smart... remark at the end of the post.

And BTW, no wherein the article does it state a fire hazard! unless you want to post the link to the other article for a possible bad alternator. and that one is being taken care of also!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Travlingman,

Why did you have to try to educate the diehards of deception that linger on this forum? The way they spout off without knowing or having a hint of the facts constantly exposes them so clearly! It's a JEEP problem alone!!!

No it isn't.

My Chevy recall says:

"Takata Corporation ("Takata") has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists....The propellant in some types of Takata airbag inflators can degrade over time, especially after long term exposure in hot and humid regions. If the propellant degrades to a certain level, the inflators may rupture during deployment, causing serious or fatal injuries."

The Jeep recall I got from FCA does not mention Takata specifically, but sounds very familiar:

"The front passenger airbag inflator may rupture, due to excessive internal pressure, during normal airbag deployment events. This condition is more likely to occur if your vehicle has been exposed to high levels of absolute humidity for extended periods of time. An inflator rupture may result in...serious injury or death."

Travlingman posted a link. It is pretty clear this is not an airbag issue if you read it. This is a wiring problem.

You're kidding, right? You really think I'd type all that up if there was any question. http://chrysler.oemdtc.com/117/s43-nhtsa-16v-352-passenger-airbag-inflator-2004-2012-dodge-chrysler-...
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
OK. here is the entire article.

"Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 224,000 Jeep Wrangler SUVs worldwide because the air bags may not inflate in a crash.

The recall covers certain 2016 and 2017 Wranglers. The company says in government documents that wiring to a sensor can come loose, cutting off signals to an air bag computer. If that happens, the seat belt pretensioners won't work and the air bags won't deploy.

The company says no one has been hurt because the air bags didn't inflate and no customers have complained. The problem was discovered during company crash tests. Fiat Chrysler found that during a crash, the left headlight would rotate, pulling the wiring loose.

Repairs to fix the problem aren't ready yet, but Fiat Chrysler says it's imminent and owners will be notified when to set up a service appointment. Dealers will reroute the wiring at no cost to owners.

Fiat Chrysler says none of the 2017 models have been sold yet."

They found an issue before it ever became a problem. they are working on fixing it. how is that a problem for FCA? at least they aren't sweeping it under the rug like some other manuf. does!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
JEEP: A paradox, one of the last vehicles you want to own on the road for owner reliability statistics, one of the first vehicles you want to own when the pavement ends and the challenges begin.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Travlingman,

No it isn't.

My Chevy recall says:

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Travlingman,

No it isn't.

My Chevy recall says:

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman,

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The recall has nothing to do with the Takata airbags. The wiring to the front sensor is coming loose and not sending signals to the air bag and it won't work. Detroit Free Press
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know a lot of manuf are affected by airbag recalls.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
jody h wrote:
It's because he hates FCA . My Honda has a recall on the air bags also

Ha! Ironic, since the 07 and 08 Chevy and GMC HD 2500/3500 are affected too!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
It's because he hates FCA . My Honda has a recall on the air bags also
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeps like most every other manufacturer has been adversley affected by the Takata airbag fiasco. There are many stories in the news on this issue out there. There are literally millions of cars from multiple manufacturers affected. To single out Jeep seems pretty harsh to me.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes our '08 Rubicon was recalled, as well as my '07 Avalanche. Both notices said that they don't have the parts to fix it but they'll let me know when they come in. In the meantime they claim the vehicles are safe to drive.