cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palomino SS 1251 Pop-Up on 1/2 Ton Pickup

Route66Cruisers
Explorer
Explorer
Palomino markets it’s SS 1251 Pop-up Truck Camper as made for 1/2 ton pickups. We have 2010 F-150 SuperCrew F-150 5.4 4x4 6.5 bed and are interested in buying the SS 1251.

At age 71 we want to avoid buying a 3/4 pickup. We are hoping for some feedback only from members who have experience with this specific camper on their 1/2 ton truck.
Mike & Kewpie
2010 Ford F-150, SuperCrew,5.4 Triton V-8, Tow Package, long bed
2008 FunFinder 189FBS
8 REPLIES 8

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
billtex wrote:
Route66Cruisers wrote:
We are hoping for some feedback only from members who have experience with this specific camper on their 1/2 ton truck.

Reading comprehension not a strong suit here...

Virtually NOBODY has this specific experience that the OP is looking for.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’m 71 and love my new pickup. Having a TV that is completely adequate for carrying a TC will make your camping much more enjoyable...and you’ll be level too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Route66Cruisers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the helpful information.
Mike & Kewpie
2010 Ford F-150, SuperCrew,5.4 Triton V-8, Tow Package, long bed
2008 FunFinder 189FBS

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Are you interested in a similar setup and my experience with it?

Very similar to KD4UPL's post.....
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Palamino 8' pop up TC on a 1996 Dodge 1500 ext. cab 4wd. With just the camper loaded up and the tailgate and spare tire removed I was about 600 pounds over the truck's GVWR. I tried to never put much gear inside at all knowing that I was already so heavy. I was a young single man at the time so I didn't need much gear. Also, it was generally just me in the cab. So, by adding E load range tires, Rancho shocks, and air bags I was able to make it work.
This camper was pretty bare bones; it had no air conditioner, no water heater, no bathroom, only 1 propane tank, and no sewer tanks.
That camper shows an UVW of 1,795. Adding 20 pounds of propane, 15 gallons of water, and a battery will put you at almost 2,000 pounds. I would say loaded with food, clothes, dishes, etc you will be pushing 2,500 pounds.
Weigh your truck's rear axle with you and the wife in the cab, a full fuel tank, and no tailgate. Subtract that weight from the truck's RAWR on the door sticker and see if you have 2,500 pounds left.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Route66Cruisers wrote:
We are hoping for some feedback only from members who have experience with this specific camper on their 1/2 ton truck.

Reading comprehension not a strong suit here...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Skip the Palomino or any other popup. If you want to stick to a F150 you will save money and have way better and more comfortable choices with a small trailer. If you want a TC, skip the F150 and F250 and head directly to a full 1 ton pickup.

I am not sure what being 71 has to do with it. If you have the money start with a 1t truck. If not and cost is a major concern look at smaller used trailers.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t have experience with that camper but I’m doubtful that it will work with your truck. The manufacturers get away with sales talk like “half ton towable” because they were able to spec 1 truck with the number to do it. In this case it’s likely a bare bones single cab heavy payload truck. This is a rare beast which I suspect you don’t have.

The brochure shows a dry weight of 1910lbs and a gvwr of 2627lbs. Not many 1/2 ton trucks have the payload, or more importantly the axle capacity for that much weight. You still have to add passenger weight onto that. What’s the payload sticker on your door say? Better yet, load your truck with fuel and passengers and go to a scale. Weigh each axle and see what capacity you have left for a camper. You’re going to need close to 3000lbs of capacity on the rear axle. I see a rawr of only 3850lbs listed for non heavy duty option f150. Approximately 2400lbs of that is used up with an empty truck leaving only 1450lbs for camper weight.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley