cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Payload Advice

desertfoxjr
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2014 GMC Duramax 3/4 ton 4x4 Crew Cab truck with a 6'6" bed. I have talked to a number of people who have given me a range of advice about the size (weight) TC I can safely carry, along with mods that will offset weight discrepancies. i have narrowed my search to TCs with wet weights the in the range of 2600 - 3,300 lbs. I believe my payload is 2440 lbs. As experienced TC owners, I am interested in any advice or suggestions you can provide me.

Many Thanks,

Harold
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buying a new truck because you need a new set of rims is one way to go about it...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased our camper for a short bed F-350. I added a sway bar, super springs, and stable loads. I tried for 4 months to get a set of Rickson steel 19.5" wheels. We had trips planned and no delivery date for those wheels so I found this F-450 on a local dealers lot with less than 40,000 miles and couldn't be happier.

I now have all the load capacity I need, an 18" extra storage space between the front of the camper and the cab of the truck, much tighter turning radius plus 19.5" wheels. The only downside was it cost a fortune to put on a full set of new tires but I was going to have to do that anyway with the F-350.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ That would be one.

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m pretty sure no shortbed campers are made that it wonโ€™t carry. They just arenโ€™t that huge.

My short bed camper with three slides is huge-ish.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own a F-250 SB truck, If you can find a Northern Lite 811 in your area it's a great camper. Try to find a camper with 2 battery's and 2 propane tanks and a 6 cubic foot frig and the biggest gray tank. That way you can spend a week off grid no problem. I am over weight at 10500 pounds ready to camp, but the truck handles it well. Good luck in your search.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^This

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s a โ€˜14 GMC 2500. Itโ€™s got an 11.5โ€ AAM rear axle.
Thatโ€™s rated at 10,000 pounds by American Axle.
The truck will carry any shortbed camper made just fine.
Just make sure your tires are rated for however much your rear axle ends up scaling.
Iโ€™m pretty sure no shortbed campers are made that it wonโ€™t carry. They just arenโ€™t that huge.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wnjj wrote:
I didn't realize "wet" and "dry" are punctuation. ๐Ÿ˜›

By โ€œpunctuationโ€, he meant innacurate claim or information I believe....

desertfoxjr
Explorer
Explorer
More good info.

Many Thanks!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ll add that you shouldnโ€™t assume the tires that you have are ones that will go to the maximum weights for your rims. It could be that you can pick up a significant amount of rear axle capacity by changing tires only. For instance, 3300 x 2 is almost a 1000 lbs difference compared to 3760 x 2 at 80lbs. Even a bigger difference if you were running the 3300 rated tires at max pressure less than max pressure. There are even some 18s that go all of the way to 4000 lbs each.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't realize "wet" and "dry" are punctuation. ๐Ÿ˜›

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
It nice to have fellow member on forum, who will follow you and check every punctuation.
Only bad part is that he plays stupid between.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Quick calculation >>> 33000 lb dry camper will put about 4500 lb wet on your rear axle.
Add truck own weight and tell us your tire ratings?

But the OP said 3300lbs wet, which typically includes bare camper+all options+ full tanks, in camper speak.
It would be hard to get another 1200lbs of personal gear and food in the camper (unless you're living in it and have every nook and cranny packed full). Not everyone has a 7000 or 8000lb camper, whichever your recent weight claim was in a different thread.

desertfoxjr
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Thanks. I am not planning to ever tow anything.