Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick up for TC

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

First post.

I was looking to get a pick up with 8 feet bed for TC and I found a nice 99 Cummins. The problem is that owner is saying that he used to pull a fifth wheel.

Would you consider a pick up that was used for a fifth wheel ?

Thanks,
50 REPLIES 50

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would buy a 20 year old diesel truck, but the way it was used and cared for is everything. There are lots of trucks out there. I would avoid one that has pulled hard all its life.

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Update on the Cummins pickup.

I called the guy for an appointment and asked him more details questions (thanks to the replies form members here); the injection pump is due, the auto transmission is slipping and plus there is a werid noise from the differential.

Too good to be true. I passed on going to see it.

I will look more into a gas engine.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Intravino

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your replies.

I had some personnel business to attend lately, so I had no time.

I called the owner and I have to go see it during the weekend.

Thanks,

Intravino

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

Simplicity IS reliability.

rright!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck calling the dealer for help with a new, over-computerized truck fritzes out in the middle of nowhere.
Simplicity IS reliability.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for a Roamer TC I know where you can get one at a premium price

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

New or newer trucks are nice but the cost of repairs anymore is unbelievable,especially with a diesel..

That's why you have 5 years/100k miles factory warranty before you can consider extended one.
DPF and DEF systems were scarry 5 years ago due to lot of "baby teeth" and mechanic's learning curve.
Now not only we have lot of DPF regeneration shops, but mechanics know how to fix it.
Main progress was ScanGauge developing X-gauges who will tell you soot level and DPF regeneration status, so you can avoid main problem of cutting regeneration short.
Bare in mind that in commercial use the DEF equipped engines logged million miles.
The only thing that sucks is manufacturers milking customers by SCN coding, but we fight back with https://repair.org/stand-up

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
djg wrote:
As for older trucks I bought a 95 Ford F-350 duelly 4 years ago with 192000 miles on it well oiled down south truck wouldn't think twice about jumping in it and doing a cross country run with the camper. I've probably rebuilt the whole truck but it's cheaper than a new one and no emissions

I agree..I did the same with my old 3/4 ton '76 Ford with the 390..Almost totally rebuilt from end to end..I to would not have hesitated to head anywhere in that one..And no emissions necessary..

New or newer trucks are nice but the cost of repairs anymore is unbelievable,especially with a diesel..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

djg
Explorer
Explorer
As for older trucks I bought a 95 Ford F-350 duelly 4 years ago with 192000 miles on it well oiled down south truck wouldn't think twice about jumping in it and doing a cross country run with the camper. I've probably rebuilt the whole truck but it's cheaper than a new one and no emissions, as for sticker weights in Ontario they go by axle weights as per DOT as I have checked and as long as you increase the carrying weight on your ownership you are good GVWR means nothing to them as long as you don't go over GVAW weights. (Call your local DOT in Quebec and ask them)

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Good call on checking for rust, but that's the beauty of the truck the OP is talking about. Said never driven in winter and oil coated.
Since we haven't heard back from him, hopefully he's out doin burnouts in his new camper hauler!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello intraveno, I’m going to go at this from a different angle than the others unless I missed something already stated. No experience with Dodge Cummins (I have a 2002 F350 Power Stroke 7.3L. What I would recommend (from experience) is looking at the bed support channels- Ford are notorious for rotting, not sure on the Dodges. I removed my bed and replaced the channels myself- no big deal as I have the shop and tools to do it.
The other thing, personally I wouldn’t trust the 5th wheel rails bolts. When I removed the old bolts (twisted off with breaker bar and 5’ cheater pipe because they were seized up) I found that the bolts were wore 1/3 of the way through where they went through the ‘L’ brackets attached to the frame. Just saying- something to check in case you do decide to pull a 5ver later on down the road. My truck was 17 years old, yours has a few more years on it- but I like the older trucks...... best of luck.
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing that truck needs is wider mirrors, you can’t see around a camper with the ones it has on it.
2nd Gen Dodge tow mirrors

They’re later model flip out mirrors that bolt to that ‘99.
You need them.
You can get manual ones or electric and heated.
If you add heated ones and it didn’t have them already, you’ll need the heater control panel that has the switch and circuitry. Available on eBay.
If you add power adjustable mirrors and the truck didn’t have that already, you’ll need the switch for that, also available on eBay. It mounts in a hole on the driver for that will have a cap over it if not originally equipped.
The wiring is usually already there in the truck.
Everything just plugs right in.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
That truck has a Dana 70 rear axle. Dana rates it for 7500 pounds, even though Dodge put a lower number on it.
It’s probably a great rig.
Your camper weight expectations aren’t realistic. Listed “dry weights” are pure fantasy land.
In general, that truck should be fine with any camper in the 8 to 10 foot range.

FORGET buying any half ton. 2500s are way under-rated. The biggest weight issue with half ton trucks is the wimpy rear axle. The wheels ride on the axle shafts, with one small bearing at each end.
3/4 tons generally have “floating” axles with a hub on each end that rides on two large bearings. The axle shafts just supply the power.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have ya bought that beauty yet?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold