cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up new to me 06 AF 860

nick11
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished installing the airbags and happi jac frame mounted tie downs so that I can bring the camper home. I bought an 06 AF 860 fully loaded. I am sure it will be 4000lbs loaded and some say too much for my F250 but I will have to see how it drives. I put mono tube adjustable shocks all the way around and am going to put on a helwig rear sway bar.
Anyone else with an 860 that can share advice on them.

I am trying to decide in what batteries to go with -it says 2 group 29 will fit in the slide out tray. Should I do 2-6 volt or 2-12 volt?

I am very excited to get the TC - we had one before about 8 years ago, and have had a fifth wheel until last week. Although we losing space we are gaining the ability to bring the boat and get back into camping at the lakes.
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Clarification on the batteries. I was on a ferry for 2 days and had to shut off the propane so the fridge was straight DC power and it was full/ warm outside and opened up regularly to get food out.
I'm pretty sure the camper would run for a few days on DC / propane without recharge.

Correct, the wiring is heavier on the camper pigtail than the wires in the extension. My extension looks like the shop hand made them though and is 12 ga wire. Same 7 pin plug though on the camper. . Unless mine was changed. Fwiw I have run all summer like this with no elect issues.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good test run. Agree with Idaho Camper. Keep an eye on the batteries sounds like they are losing charge and getting weak. Go through your AF dealer to get the correct plug. Happy camping
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If i were going to use 6 v. batteries i would have a small grp 24 , 12 volt on the side . Just in case one battery goes bad while on a trip, you can still have 12 v. power to run things.
This works for me in my situation because i fish using a trolling motor, therefore, i carry a 12 v. battery anyway.

If you plan to use it with water while its off the truck, i would support the bottom.

The main camper ground has a tendency to rust on many AF units. My 860 had a common ground hidden between the water heater and the front drivers side firewall,held by a screw into the camper frame. Its impossible to get at it unless you are a trained mechanical hamster with a miniature tool kit.
When my ground finally stopped grounding and left me with no power,i had no choice but to hook up the generator ground wire in the genny compartment. ( i did not have an on-board genny at the time, just the empty compartment that was pre-wired) Using that ground wire, grounded my 860. I used it and left it that way for the rest of its life with me.

Best of luck with your new to you 860, enjoy ,

Bob

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
nick11 wrote:
Got it home - nice test for the truck - 2 hours of winding road in 30 mph winds. The truck did ok with air bags at 70 psi and shocks on firmest setting. Still feels a little mushy so I'm going add the helwig sway bar and stable loads. I need to get a plug that connects the camper to the truck - can I get this at camping world or similar?

If AF used the same plug back in 06 like they use today, you will not find one at your local CW. I got one with my TC but I wanted an extra one so I ordered it from my local AF dealer. The wiring in the AF plug is heavier than any similar plug that you might find at a trailer supply store.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
The fridge will just about kill 2 interstate 12v in 24 hrs though with no addl charging.

I'm wondering if your batteries are in good condition??

Earlier this month, we boon docked at 7500' elevation for 3 days, 2 nights. Ran furnace both nights to keep interior temps around 60, showered all 3 kids the 2nd day, regular use of lights and water pump, fridge full of food. I never ran the truck at all while we were there and didn't even bother bringing the generator. And our batteries were still green per the monitor gauge when we were loading up to come home.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I bought a plug with an extra pigtail from a local camper/trailer supply place. It works great with the camper and a trailer in tow. No need to wire in or mount a plug up front and for $80 probably cheaper than buying all the parts.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have a 05 same camper. You'll really like it but they are heavy. 70-80 lbs is what my 2500 Ram needs in the bags to keep level as well.
It does pitch some but mostly he first gear 3 mph potholes that get me. My shocks suck too I think. Got Bilsteins 5100s which as I understand are more for hi speed damping like empty truck on washboards not a heavy camper swaying.
That said it hauls fine and everything works on the camper.
I have no problem with the 2-12v keeping up if I run the truck or generator a couple hrs a day.
The fridge will just about kill 2 interstate 12v in 24 hrs though with no addl charging.

nick11
Explorer
Explorer
Got it home - nice test for the truck - 2 hours of winding road in 30 mph winds. The truck did ok with air bags at 70 psi and shocks on firmest setting. Still feels a little mushy so I'm going add the helwig sway bar and stable loads. I need to get a plug that connects the camper to the truck - can I get this at camping world or similar?

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! I had my 811 on a 3/4-ton Dodge. Like you, WAY over posted GVWR. Had Rancho adjustable shocks and a big, beefy Hellwig on the rear. I thought it did fine for the 4 years we drove it.

Regarding batteries...6V, no debate, IMO. Have had my 2 Trojans since the day we bought the AF 811. And they'll still get me thru a 4 day boon docking trip.

Good luck, and enjoy that thing!

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Being you have had a Fifth Wheel. This is just a suggestion.
Whether you use 6V batteries, or 12V batteries, the System itself will still be 12V. In many cases, you are replacing one 12V "deep cycle marine" battery with Two 6V golf cart batteries, wired in series to make 12V. The obvious advantage here,two batteries versus one. Twice as much battery capacity. I would go with 2 6v AGM Maintenance free batteries. Good luck
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992